Greasy Lake Community

Tower Theater dec 31st 1975 new official archival show. Merged thread

blanco

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work BD.

NIGHT* (2.53) / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT* (3.46) / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT* (6.31) / DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND STREET?* (8.48) / IT'S MY LIFE* (7.22) / SHE'S THE ONE (6.16) / BORN TO RUN (4.05) / PRETTY FLAMINGO* / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY* (5.45) / BACKSTREETS (7.50) / MOUNTAIN OF LOVE* (3.19) / JUNGLELAND* (9.06) / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) (11.07) / 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) (6.42) / DETROIT MEDLEY (8.45) / QUARTER TO THREE (6.49) / THUNDER ROAD (5.47) / TWIST AND SHOUT (7.44)

Soundboard and audience tapes. The entire show (and potentially the entire Philadelphia stand) was professionally recorded (along with several other shows in December) under the guidance of Jimmy Iovine as part of a plan to release a live album. A single CD of mixdowns created in 1976 from a 16-track recording of the show circulates which features nine tracks (marked with * above) and is essential listening - 'The Uber Series Vol 33' and remastered as 'Last Tango In Philly' (Ev2). Final slow version of "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" until the re-arranged solo piano performances at the 1990 Christic Institute shows. Last known "Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?" until 1993 in Red Bank and last "Mountain Of Love" until 2008 in St Louis. Released on CD 'Teardrops On The Tower'. Again, a more recent (soundboard) tape has now circulated which does not have "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" and both "Detroit Medley" and "Thunder Road" are clipped at the start. "Thunder Road" is the slow version with Roy on piano and Bruce on harmonica and vocals. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a lengthy mariachi-style introduction and a snippet of "Theme From Shaft" in the midsection. The official Wings For Wheels documentary DVD contains great black-and-white footage of the slow "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" (filmed by early Springsteen fan Barry Rebo), which has been attributed to one of the two Tower Theater shows by an experienced video collector. Subsequently, "Born To Run" from this show was shown by Thom Zimny at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame discussion in June 2009, and "Mountain Of Love" at "An Evening With Thom Zimny" at Monmouth University on September 23, 2014. This footage was in colour with excellent audio.

Epic. Awesome. Bring it on.

The first boot from '75 I owned.

I have a really nice recording of a few songs for what was going to be a live album from this that was taken from master tapes.

If I had the boot not sure I'd be as pumped but the fact that I don't coupled with the fact that this was professionally recorded for a potential live album makes me double pumped.

I presume this release won't be as exciting for some who want releases outta left field and who own everything under the sun but it's perfect for someone like me. I had no interest in the Apollo show so don't need every release now coming our way but this one I want.

Final slow version of Tenth Ave until the re-arranged solo performances at the Christic shows? I want. I freakin' love the slow version and don't have a recording of it.

Mountain Of Love is on there too. I definitely want this one.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the definitive version of the song

This is what we want! I've got the single disc referred to above "The Last Tango in Philly' and it is without doubt the best sound of any recording of that era. It sounds much better than the official Hammersmith '75 release. If this has gone through the plangent process like Agora did then we are in for something stunning as it will be massively better than that. The slow version of tenth avenue is utterly sublime. And I chose my username after first listening to this incredible version of does this bus stop. I can't say enough how much this release will be a MUST HAVE.

This is what we want! I've got the single disc referred to above "The Last Tango in Philly' and it is without doubt the best sound of any recording of that era. It sounds much better than the official Hammersmith '75 release. If this has gone through the plangent process like Agora did then we are in for something stunning as it will be massively better than that. The slow version of tenth avenue is utterly sublime. And I chose my username after first listening to this incredible version of does this bus stop. I can't say enough how much this release will be a MUST HAVE.

I'm booking my carrier pigeon ASAP

Sounds like a great release. one I'll definitely get

I'm booking my carrier pigeon ASAP

Sounds like a great release. one I'll definitely get

Believe me, nobody will be genuinely disappointed with this one. I only have a few songs from the original soundboard mix so to have the whole show will be incredible.

The other great thing of course is that after this, they wil be opening themselves up for huge criticism if future releases deteriote in sound quality. If this is the new benchmark then we can look forward to many many more stunning sounding archive releases.

I hope you're right. Maybe there's a chance to get multitrack of Darkness... show finally.

• SET ONE
  • Intro
  • Night
  • Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
  • Spirit In The Night
  • Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
  • It's My Life
  • She's the One
  • Born to Run
  • Pretty Flamingo
  • It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
  • Backstreets
  • Mountain Of Love
  • Jungleland
  • Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
  • ENCORE
  • 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
  • Detroit Medley
  • Quarter To Three
  • Thunder Road
  • Twist and Shout
  • Notes
    • Recorded live December 31, 1975 with Record Plant Remote by Jimmy Iovine, assisted by Dave Hewitt

• Mixed from the multitrack reels by Toby Scott at Thrill Hill, January 2015

• Mastered by Adam Ayan at Gateway Mastering, February 2015

• HD Files are 24 bit / 192 kHz -- for an explanation of formats, please see the FAQ

bs751231_reels.jpg

• PLEASE NOTE: CDs will not start shipping until March 10

This was on the mobile page at the official download page. There was also a 1975 entry at the website now it is gone!

bs751231_01.jpg

This is surely great news.

Those reels brings a tear to my eyes, collectors dreams!!!!

MAybe later today?

Archived