Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Power13

OFFICIAL 2016 Major League Baseball thread....

Hope springs eternal....Pitchers and catchers report today for the Cubbies.

Expectations for the Cubbies remain ridiculously high this year simply because of a single pitcher and new manager. Currently ranked as the #3 favorite for the World Series in Vegas.

I'll be happy with 80 wins and signs of significant progress in their ability to put runs on the board.

C'mon Spring!!! It was -9* this AM with a wind chill of -27* in Chicago today. Opening Day seems a LONG way away!

(Of course whether the Cubs have a stadium to play in remains an open question, as well!!)

Braves pitchers and catchers report tomorrow. I think we might need to wait a couple of years for hope to spring eternal once again after the major offseason unloading of contracts. Still, I think they are likely to surprise a few people by not being as bad as some expect. Like the acting GM said, its not like he was breaking up the '27 Yankees. I don't think 80 wins and maybe 3rd place in the NL East is out of the question for this team. Its definitely unlikely that they see October baseball though.

Saturday for the Red Sox. Hard to gauge how good they will be this year. So many questions in both the lineup and the pitching staff. Ortiz isn't getting any younger, Pedroia and Hanley are both excellent players, but man do they have a problem staying healthy. Pablo is a solid addition, but not a great one.

Odd numbered year so I have less hope for the Giants than unusual.

State Trooper I assume when you said Pablo is solid you were not referring to his midsection.

I've only dipped my toe in baseball, but I really like it.

However, I already follow one transatlantic sport that requires the keeping of unsociable hours, so baseball is prolly a step too far.

I went to a couple of Yankees games in the old stadium, that would've been, what, July or August 2001.

They beat Texas and Toronto, one of the games yer man Clemons beat some kind of pitching record.

I guess by default that makes me a Yankees fan.

The first game we went to,my Missus and I were sat next to a dead nice guy who was a season ticket holder, he spent a goodly chunk of the game explaining the rules, the stats etc.

Thoroughly enjoyed both games.

Just bought a 6 pack of tickets for this summer for the Power Clan.

Let's go Cubbies!!!

A-Rod and his trail of BS is going to overshadow other issues the Yankees have.

Girardi is apparently mulling using two closers, Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller. Betances was lights out as a setup man last year. Him and Miller both have closer-type stuff.

Tanaka's elbow is an enormous question mark. Im shocked how he is back throwing given that he partially tore the UCL. Still felt like he should have had the surgery when it first happened.

Odd numbered year so I have less hope for the Giants than unusual.

State Trooper I assume when you said Pablo is solid you were not referring to his midsection.

jkYCKaQ.png

As always I will hope for the best from my Mets.

We do have some solid starting pitchers. On big league roster and coming through system. If young Mr. Harvey returns to form and stays healthy, the Mets may at least make a little noise.

Here's a Spring quote from legendary Chicago announcer Harry Caray:

"It's the fans that need spring training. You gotta get 'em interested. Wake 'em up and let 'em know that their season is coming, the good times are gonna roll."

I was reminded of this particular prediction today..... ;)

Laughing at the *shock* of a (at the time) non-existent Miami franchise. Too bad the one that emerged is in the NL, negating any possibility of this actually coming true. B)B)

Chicago must be clamoring for baseball season now having the news of D-Rose and Patrick Kane's injuries breaking on the same day.

Although the Blackhawks have some wiggle room there as far as the salary cap goes once the playoffs begin.

Check that....it was Soler, Baez and then Bryant.

;)

Did my fantasy baseball draft (First one I've done in over 10 years) late last night after the brackets were announced, and now I'm more excited for Opening Day than I usually am.....which is a lot.

This kid Kris Bryant is gonna be good.....DAMN good. Still some debate over whether he will be on the Opening Day roster, which I simply don't get. He is ripping it up on Spring Training....why would you not want him on the roster?

chi-photos-cubs-draft-pick-kris-bryant-2

OK, found out some more details re: why Bryant may not be on the roster on Opening Day. has to do with contracts and how long the Cubbies have control over the player. In short, if he doesn't come up until 12 days into the season (9 games), then they gain an extra year of control on his contract.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/03/17/your-reminder-of-the-rules-regarding-kris-bryant-and-service-time/

Looks like we won't see him on Opening Day....

Opening Night is tomorrow!!!

Cards vs. Cubbies in the (partially) renovated Wrigley Field. Lots of discussion / controversy over the new mega screen in left field. Some feel it is to big, Olbermann claims the Cubs have "ruined" Wrigley.....whatever your feelings on the subject, they Cubs got one thing right - first image shown on huge screen was Ernie Banks.

While I will miss the tradition of the "old" Wrigley, there is no doubt these updates are long overdue. Time marches on....

Yeesh....rough opening so far. Fundamentals, buys....fundamentals.

Lester did not look good at all. Hopefully this settles some of the over-the-top hype and expectations for this year. If the Cubbies can get to .500 ballistic year and are playing good ball in the second half, I'll consider it a major success.

A few of the "highlights" from last night....

* Cubs were o-13 with Runners In Scoring Position. 0-13! Yeesh.....wonder if they are regretting that Kris Bryant decision yet?

* the Cubs *ace* was done after 4 1/3 innings after having little control and putting WAY too many balls high in the strike zone. Cards were getting wood on Lester's balls all night. (Wait....why does that sound dirty?)

* Cell service last night at Wrigley was reportedly awful. Even the media had problems sending e-mails, texts, tweets, etc.

* The normally ridiculous lines for restrooms reached the ludicrous proportions last night. Due to the renovations, many of the upper level restrooms were closed. Lower restrooms were jammed, with people waiting in excess of full innings to take a piss.

* Renovations reportedly wreaked havoc on traffic around the area.

Looks like this season, and Wrigley, are still under major renovations. ;) Buckle up...it is gonna be a bumpy ride!!

Meanwhile....the Mets are tied for 1st place!!!

Bartolo Colon....go figure.

Let's Go Mets!!

B)

The Cubs' bullpen was good though, so there was that. Pity today was cancelled, I really wanted some Cubs today.

Meanwhile....the Mets are tied for 1st place!!!

Bartolo Colon....go figure.

Let's Go Mets!!

B)

Tied with the no-name Braves no less. I might add the Braves are currently up 8-2 over the Marlins in game 2. World Series here we come. ;)

Don't look now kids, but the Cubbies are in sole possesion of 1st place in the Central with a 4-2 record. Moreover, they did it on back-to-back walk-off win games.

I'm savoring every minute while it lasts!!!

Cubbies called up Kris Bryant.....and the Power family will be at Wrigley Friday for his debut!!

Woo-hoo!