Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Power13

OFFICIAL 2016 Major League Baseball thread....

Cubbies called up Kris Bryant.....and the Power family will be at Wrigley Friday for his debut!!

Woo-hoo!

Don't forget your Depends. ;)

Lots of fun yesterday...bummer they lost and Bryant went 0-4 with 3 K's. First AB was three pitches, three swings and three strikes. Didn't even touch the ball....but damn was he swinging hard.

Just a huge buzz around Wrigley...Standing O's when he took the field, was introduced and for his first AB. Everyone saying "Happy Kris Bryant Day," as they took their seats. Over the top hype, but it was really fun. Amazingly, there were fans in the stands who already had Bryant jerseys. I thought maybe they were Iowa Cubs jerseys, but nope. They only announced yesterday AM that his jersey would be #17.....pretty impressive they had them out that fast!!

Late in the game, the Padres walked Rizzo (to put 2 aboard with a one run lead) to bring Bryant up....man, it was electric. Had he hit a homer, they would may have retired his number right then and there.

Couple of pics....Bryant's first AB and the Powers out by the Ernie Banks statue.

031F4F59-32E4-4FBC-B075-9A7860FD784E_zps

292674EF-5147-4449-AB00-33166798D318_zps

Looks like you had a great time! Despite the outcome.

I think the MLB needs to look how they can further protect pitchers. Carlos Carrasco got DRILLED in the jaw with a liner vs the White Sox during the week. He said that he blacked out temporarily after the ball struck the side of his face.

I pitched when I played baseball in high school, and I absolutely loved it. A comebacker like that never crossed my mind until it happened to me, which was a total of 3 times. The first time it came within mere centimeters of hitting me right in the side of my head. We were in practice and doing a live scrimmage. Our backup catcher who at the time was about 6'3 240 lbs hit one right back at me and some how some way I got my shoulder up JUST enough and it hit me square on my shoulder. In fact my senior year, one of the top pitchers in our conference got hit in the face with a line drive. Broken nose, chipped teeth, bruising all over. So vulnerable out there just 60 ft away.

The other two times were on my hip and on my shin, which I had indentations from the stitching of the ball on my shin for a little while after that. They have started to make the move from aluminum to composite bats in high school and college. The ball comes off an aluminum bat much faster than wood or composite.

MLB has talked about padded caps, which the padding can be sewn into the current cap. I really think they need to take more initiative and would be something good for Manfred to pursue in his first season.

Kris Bryant gets his first *home run*.....

http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/04/20/kris-bryants-first-big-league-homer-was-a-little-leaguer-video/

OK, actually a double, takes 3rd on the throw to home and then scores on an error.....but damn it was really fun to watch!!!

Yanks scraping together 5 of 6. Including tagging David Price last night, who they have consistently hit hard. It's (TOO) early but the weekend series with the Mets should be a fun one with how well the Mets are playing.

Although MLB scheduled the Subway Series in the dumbest fashion possible. 3 games in April and then 3 in September. These games need to be played in the summer as they used to be.

Never like to see people get hurt, but I'm not crying about how this impacts the Cubs chances this year. ;)

Hopefully Wainwright makes a full recovery....for next year. Of course this has started the stoopid argument that the NL needs to bring in the DH. FOOK NO!!

Cubs are starting to play some good ball. Still some lingering bullpen issues (need some middle relievers), but they have been fun to watch so far.

Yankees with a good showing over the weekend, taking 2 of 3 from the streaking Mets.

Yea, I have seen that argument begin to resurface. Thing is, a pitcher can get injured in many unorthodox ways. A freak line drive, running to cover first, or just fielding a ball in the area around the mound.

Adam Wainwright done for the year with an achilles injury for the Cards.

Huge blow.

On a seemingly innocent move getting out of the batters box.

Yep, and my fantasy team has taken a massive hit because of that. But nooooooooooo, we can't possibly conceive of having a designated hitter in the NL now can we?

That's gonna leave a mark....

CD0TuxsUkAAJ87D.png

Alex Torres, a relief pitcher for the Mets, is the first pitcher to wear the new protective padding around the hat.

Granted that would not have helped the situation above, but it's a good first step.

new-york-mets.jpg

Huge blow.

Yep, and my fantasy team has taken a massive hit because of that. But nooooooooooo, we can't possibly conceive of having a designated hitter in the NL now can we?

I ended up with 5 fantasy baseball teams ( :blink: ) this year and before I dropped Wainwright and Bailey I had 20 people on the DL over the 5 teams. It's been crazy this year. I started the year with 7 starting pitchers on the DL.

Huge blow.

Dude....

OVC4h3e.gif

He could have just as easily torn his Achilles covering first or any other possible play in the field.....let's not start changing the rules just because one pitcher got hurt.

Lester gets his first win as a Cub today and Addison Russell hits his first big league homer.

Cubbies 13-8 so far. B)

Fookin' Cubbies....after losing 3 out of 4, they take a 5-0 lead on the Cardinals in the 1st. 8-4 going into the 6th, give up 2 runs.

Give up 4 runs in huge 7th and now trail 10-8 in the 8th. Luckily, the game is only 3 1/2 hours old at this point.....

From 13-8 to an impending 13-11. Gap to the Red Birds is gonna be pretty big by the end of this series, I think.

Lucy has yanked the football away yet again.....

Fookin' Cubbies....after losing 3 out of 4, they take a 5-0 lead on the Cardinals in the 1st. 8-4 going into the 6th, give up 2 runs.

Give up 4 runs in huge 7th and now trail 10-8 in the 8th. Luckily, the game is only 3 1/2 hours old at this point.....

From 13-8 to an impending 13-11. Gap to the Red Birds is gonna be pretty big by the end of this series, I think.

Lucy has yanked the football away yet again.....

Meh, the Braves blew a 9-1 lead against the Nats last week. I just had to keep telling myself that it counts exactly the same as a 1-0 loss in the standings.

Kris Bryant finally hits his first dinger....massive blast to left center in Miller Park.

As he was rounding the bases, Cubs empty the dugout so there was no one there to greet him when he got there. Classic.

Michael Pineda with 16 K's in a 6-2 win over the Orioles. Now that he is healthy, he is quietly becoming the ace of the Yankees staff. 5-0 2.72 ERA and 54 K's. Yanks take 3 of 4 from the O's.

Eddie Vedder is singing tonight @ Wrigley for the 7th inning stretch. B)

Besides being a Chicago homeboy, he is on town for a benefit show with Pete Townsend on Thursday night. Good seats still available....for $1K a pop. DOH!

Been a while since we had any chatter on this thread.

What an awesome home run derby last night!

Best one there has been in many years IMO. Great job by MLB changing the format to having 4:00 running clock instead of 10 outs. Made for some great head to head battles.

I was actually planning on bumping the thread today....check this out.

Dunno if I mentioned it earlier (too lazy to check), but we just got new neighbors. Younger couple with a 1 YO and a baby on the way. Just moved in after living in Wrigletville. SUPER nice.....

Few weeks ago I ask him what he did and he says he works for the Cubs. DING!! P13 hits the on the New Neighbor Lottery!!! He is in charge of game day production or something along those lines.

I have a big W flag that goes up after a Cubs win and he said he loved seeing it up when they first moved in, etc.

Anyway, over the weekend, he sees Lil' Angel out back and says "Hang on...I have something for you guys" and brings over everything below as a "Thank you" for being so nice to them when they moved in.

hats, waterbottles, softside coolers, etc.

EAF03084-9C4F-4B95-B765-BBB40C2E2476_zps

Life Size Anthony Rizzo flag (that is P14 behind it).

688E0EAF-B6FB-4C5F-A30B-537C0E924A7C_zps

And the best part......signed photo of Ernie Banks and Starlin Castro.

923b237f-d829-40de-9693-5640bfdc868e_zps

Are you kidding me? A signed photo of Ernie Banks?!?!?! Holy hell....like I said, we hit the New Neighbor Lottery!!

Speaking of Rizzo....how is this for a heads up play? Dude is quickly becoming my favorite Cub. Should really be a MVP candidate for his play and leadership this year.

070115_chc_rizzo_slide_med_mm2j4nr3.gif