Greasy Lake Community

The Liverpool FC Thread

GreetingsFromBarcelona

This is even worse,

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-liverpool-squad-celebrate-kolo-9337375

What a way to celebrate a wonderful season, I am sure this will be all over everywhere soon. I know that they are young and all that, but filming and posting it as hilarious , I think not!

Best movement of the entire season, and Rogers is back in the uk!

Does this bus stop will be all over this, oh joy I look forward to that,

I am seething about this, in its context, with the additional irony of sterling singing joyfully about someone signing a contract!

la galaxy announce that gerrard is scheduled to make his first appearance in the mickey mouse champions cup against Club America on July 11th

so presumably that means he will appear also against Barcelona on the 21st

apparently based on the success :rolleyes: of all the players he purchased from Southampton last season Brendan wants to buy some more with an opening bid of 10million for Nathaniel clyne. Apparently since he's not crap an offer of 1/2 of what they paid for Lovren isn't enough :o

This article from The Telegraph is very good, not many LFC players have spoke about it so fair play to Mark Lawrenson for doing so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11635476/Heysel-disaster-of-1985-is-footballs-forgotten-tragedy-and-Liverpool-and-Juventus-minimal-reaction-prolongs-hurt.html

• Like 1

apparently based on the success :rolleyes: of all the players he purchased from Southampton last season Brendan wants to buy some more with an opening bid of 10million for Nathaniel clyne. Apparently since he's not crap an offer of 1/2 of what they paid for Lovren isn't enough :o

If Clyne goes, a big if atm, it won't be to Liverpool. It'll be Utd if anywhere.

Liverpool fans just don't like history coming back to haunt them I sense....even 30 years on, after their despicable actions.

Always the victims......never their fault.

Odious ? That's Liverpool.

Over and out.

Like I say fella, I have no idea what your agenda is.

I've said over and over, I'm no Liverpool fan. I've harboured antipathy against them because of Ray Kennedy's tackle on Spammer in 1980, because Dalglish used to phone it in for Scotland when he played there, because Graeme Souness is a cock .....

No lover of Liverpool.

But what I am is someone who went regularly, home, away, occasionally abroad, in the 80s.

I know the culture of the times, I know the mindset of the times, I know how the authorities and plod operated at the time.

I loved the "edge", the danger. I was never a hoolie, I liked my ale too much, but I was around it.

Hillsborough, and to a much lesser extent, Heysel, could've happened to any of us.

Guy I know used to run with the Aberdeen casuals. One game against Hibs at Easter Road, 84 85 ish, it kicks off and a young Hibs fan nearly dies.

Now, it was a regulation 80s ruck, but this poor lad took a couple of blows in the wrong place to the napper and ended up in a coma.

Happily, he made a full recovery.

The lad I know jacked the casual scene in there and then.

" Killing folk's nae what it's about."

If that Hibs lad had died, would the Dons casuals have been, collectively, murderers?

Maybe.

In my opinion they were a collection of daft Laddies caught up in a (sub) culture specific to that era.

Now, in relation to Heysel, yes there were some Liverpool specific issues.

The slapping at the hands of Roma the year before, primarily.

Also, football fans were substantially less urbane back then.

Uber strong, cheap Belgian bevvy was a totally new experience for most of these lads.

Nowadays it's available in most city centre nightspots (less cheaply) and the tolerance, and experience of it, is higher.

Now none of this is any sort reason/excuse/justification for loss of life.

But had the exact same scenario over the two years happened to ANY British club then Heysel would've happened in one form or another.

In the past you've claimed you were around in the 80s, so, if you want, maybe you could address the points I've raised about that era, and the points I raised in my earlier post.

Maybe you have me on ignore, I like to think I'm one of the most ignored posters, or maybe you're just completely blinded by your hatred of Liverpool.

Either way, I doubt you'll formulate a cojent response.

• Like 1

Hi. New to the forum so I'll avoid the non football chat which does seem a little poisonous.

As a Liverpool fan, Rodgers has blown the momentum of finishing second the season before last. Bewildering buys and equally bewildering tactical decisions show a manger who's out of his depth. Next season already seems a done deal. Unless Klopp or Ancellotti wants to come what's the point in sacking him?

Let's leave him in place until a top quality replacement becomes free and willing. Until then we tread water without completely imploding.

• Like 2

stones

whilst I understand your argument for a status quo I don't think it will be a case of treading water more like going under - if you take away the goals of Gerrard and Sterling then the next top scorer got 5 and Liverpool would have scored less goals than the bottom 5 - even 5 less than Toon who lost like a dozen games in a row! - Balotelli is not going to ever start trying. It would be interesting to see if you still advocate the same course at Christmas after another 100m has been blown.....

It just comes back to the same question for me. Who replaces him?

If we assume there's no proven names available and willing to come in then what's the point in replacing him with a second tier option?

The only thing which is going to turn the club around is serious investment in top quality footballers with a manager who knows how to utilize them. Rodgers has proved this season he can not identify the right players and has little in the way of tactical nous.

This a manager who spunked 20 plus million on a centre half that poor he ended up having to play a talented midfielder at the back all season. What a waste. How pissed is Can likely to be?.

We have to believe he won't get a bucket load of cash next season. Maybe enough to bulk up the comical back 4. Best case scenario is that Origi hits the ground running and that prancing egomaniac Sturridge stays in one piece and scores 20 plus.

We'll finish no higher than 6th but hopefully a deal will be in place to bring in a Klopp with the commitment to spend big and dissolve the selection committee.

Well. A boy can dream can't he?

Despite earlier warnings that carrying on abusive and trolling behaviour will be seen as a sign you wish to leave Greasylake, it's still continuing.

I have dealt with one person today who decided that they would ignore previous warnings. They can go and find a new home on the web.

Last request please, if there is one more trolling or abusive post in the Lion's Den, please save us the time and leave before you are removed permanently.

I am sure the 99% of you that behave here are understanding of our ask of you all.

So back to the discussion. A few simple thoughts

Mario, out!

Rogers a play your players in the right position, don't be so biased for and against certain players, don't patronise the fans with your post match comments.

Sturridge - stay fit and PASS the ball.

I could go on for hours , but we need some passion and desire! And some cohesion!

Hopefully after yesterdays FA Cup final, LFC will have ceased all interest in Cristian Benteke

£32m buy out clause?................ Seriously?..........................................Is Tim Sherwood having a giraffe?

So, the Milner deal is done. Good acquisition but it will interesting to see how they set up. Can, Henderson and Milner is not the worst combination of midfield talent but how they fit together is not very clear in my mind.

With the arrival of Origi that's effectively two new additions in the bag.

Still remains to be seen whether he can bolster the back, whether Can can be allowed to settle in the middle and whether he'll develop into a world class player. Will we attempt a marquee signing?

Interesting times but I see nothing better than 6th or 5th next year.

As an aside, a bid of £25 million for Sterling must be a blow to the young mans ego. We paid that for Lovren!

• Like 1