Sign in to follow this  
GreetingsFromBarcelona

The Liverpool FC Thread

shaqiri rerurns to training early and is carrying an injury''

DIVOCK! returns tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelleher the third choice goalie who was expected to go to the USA in Alisson's absence apparently broke his wrist.

dodgy dejan to return tomorrow

mignolet and Robertson still missing of those who didn't play in the Ronald O/Copa America/Afcon Cups

DIVOCK!

_107827560_gettyimages-1161205659-1.jpg

signs new long term deal

oh that is the Champions league trophy next to him for supporters of other teams who might not recognize it. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AMIW said:

DIVOCK!

_107827560_gettyimages-1161205659-1.jpg

signs new long term deal

oh that is the Champions league trophy next to him for supporters of other teams who might not recognize it. ;)

Yeah, Andrew I did recognise the trophy, we here in Scotland got to see long before anyone from TGLITW* did.;)

2 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Yeah, Andrew I did recognise the trophy, we here in Scotland got to see long before anyone from TGLITW* did.;)

They were the first English club to win the European Cup and also the first English club to win the Champions League as well though. 

Oh hang on a minute.......

2 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

You must be very proud of Celtic 

Mignolet returns to training and is immediately in the line up to play Tranmere today - with the 3rd and 4th choice goalies (grabara and Kelleher) injured he will also play at Bradford on the weekend.

of the non tournament players still on holiday only Robertson is still absent,

DIVOCK! scored in the 6-0 defeat of Tranmere - everyone got a 45 min runout except the injured Shaqiri and Keitao

Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Wijnaldum and Van Dijk return tomorrow - oddly still no mention of where Robertson is so a shortage of goalies and left backs at the moment

9 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

You must be very proud of Celtic 

Yes Roy, they did the world a tremendous favour, something we will be eternally grateful for.

1 hour ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Yes Roy, they did the world a tremendous favour, something we will be eternally grateful for.

It was a tremendous achievement that's for sure, especially as most of the squad were from Scotland playing for a team from Scotland, Glasgow in fact. I don't know how the world can thank you enough, seeing those Irish flags flying so high and proud must make your face cheeks glow with pride. 

Well done Scotland

Because of today's date ( clue is birthday ), can any Liverpool fans name the connection between Liverpool FC, Newcastle United FC and this famous picture 

sgt-peppers-s.jpg

A sizeable number of them are the spit of Terry McDermott?

• Haha 1

I think I have an idea but I won't know the guy's name without Google so I'll leave the answer to someone who can do so in a fulsome manner.

5 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Because of today's date ( clue is birthday ), can any Liverpool fans name the connection between Liverpool FC, Newcastle United FC and this famous picture 

sgt-peppers-s.jpg

Well, as  I understand it, one of the fellas in there played for Liverpool. There's something to do with the war (not sure if it was I or II) in his backstory, not sure what it was. I'm guessing he played for Toon also.

All a bit vague but if someone can come in with the full story soon, I won't Google.

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Well, as  I understand it, one of the fellas in there played for Liverpool. There's something to do with the war (not sure if it was I or II) in his backstory, not sure what it was. I'm guessing he played for Toon also.

All a bit vague but if someone can come in with the full story soon, I won't Google.

It's this fella Ken. I reckon @JustDan might know it.

Albert Stubbins 

stubbins-albert-nufc-2.jpg

Born on the banks of the Tyne, Albert moved to the USA at the age of just four and was raised in Detroit and New York.

Arriving at SJP in April 1937 after a spell at Roker Park, Albert's career was disrupted by WW2 and he worked as a draughtsman in a Tyneside shipyard. 

His wartime playing record for the Magpies was staggering though, plundering 231 goals from 188 games.

Still in the Second Division, Newcastle cashed in on their asset in 1946, with Liverpool beating rivals Everton for his signature in a then-record £12,500 transfer.

A First Division Championship medal followed in his first season at Anfield and Albert also collected an FA Cup runners' up medal in 1950, when Liverpool lost to Arsenal.

Nicknamed "The Smiling Assassin", Stubbins remains regarded as one of the best English players of his generation not to have been capped by his country (although he took great pride from receiving one unofficial England cap during 1946).

Returning to the North East in 1953, Albert ended his career at Ashington and later worked as a scout for Liverpool and a football writer for a national newspaper. 

Stubbins died in December 2002, less than a week before his two old clubs met at SJP. In this tribute-laden age though, there was no pre-match commemoration for Albert.

Albert is immortalised on the cover of the Beatles' 1967 album release "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." The now-iconic montage of faces included Stubbins at the request of Liverpool fan Paul McCartney.  

A smiling Albert looms behind George Harrison, sandwiched by the sculptor Horace Clifford Westermann & guru Sri Lahiri Mahasaya. 

sgt-peppers-big.jpg

When the record was released, a copy was dispatched to Albert accompanied by a message from Paul McCartney: "Well done, Albert, for all those glorious years of football. Long may you bob and weave."

• Like 3

Andy Robertson finally showed up for training today but has an injured hand so wont play tomorrow.

Saw them against Tranmere last week where we received our usual pre season hammering.

I think you may have a player on your hands with that Hoever kid. He came on second half and just had that look about him. 

• Like 1

Bradford city today

Simon Mignolet will play the full 90 minutes in goal given lacik of options - apparently Jaros the 5th choice goalie injured in training joining the already injured 3rd and 4th choice goalies!! spinal tap drummers???

First-half team: Mignolet, Clyne, Phillips, Lovren, Larouci, Milner, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilson, Kent, Brewster.

Second-half team: Mignolet, Hoever, Matip, Gomez, Lewis, Fabinho, Woodburn, Jones, Duncan, Origi, Millar.

Additional substitutes: Atherton, Johnston.

laroucci is a winger. lewis a left back, Duncan and miler forwards - apparenlt miller played for Kilmarnock last season,

despite being injured grebara the 3rd choice goalie has gone to huddersfield on loan

wonder who is on the plane to yankeeland  apart from Mignolet?

keita, shaqiri not travelling to USA due to imjury

mane still playing in Africa, alisson, firminho and salah on holidays

Liverpool travelling squad: Clyne, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Gomez, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Mignolet, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Matip, Kent, Lewis, Phillips, Jones, Hoever, Ojrzynski, Duncan, Woodburn, Wilson, Larouci, Alexander-Arnold, Van den Berg, Atherton.

orjrzsinki is a 16 tear old keeper since 6 of the 7 goalies are injured signed a few weeks ago, Atherton a 19 year old goalie, lewis is a left back who will play if Robertson is still injured as there are no other left backs. according to jurgen he was bitten by a spider???

35 year old andy lonergan who has played for Preston amongst several other clubs has joined the tour as goalkeeping cover