Greasy Lake Community

The Liverpool FC Thread

1 hour ago, Patched Tube said:

I've been thinking on this a bit and submit this proposal.  It's pretty clear that barring something dramatic we aren't going to see any more games this season played in front of crowds.  The FA could try to finish the season next fall but then they have to have an abbreviated 20/21 season or have horrible fixture congestion or some sort of combination of the two.  In my mind a bifurcated season followed by another odd season isn't a great solution.  Crowning Liverpool champions is a no brainer - they won fair and square, nobody is going to catch them.  As to the Europa League and the Champions League - let the standings stay as they are.  Yes they could have changed between but an imperfect solution is about all we are going to get.  The relegation issue is the thorniest.  Norwich City is almost certainly a dead duck  but Aston Villa and Bournemouth have plausible arguments that they would play their way out of relegation.  So maybe just leave all three clubs up and call it a day but...

Leeds, West Brom, Fulham and Brentford have arguments they would have been promoted.  So freeze the standings, and promote the top three with no tournament.  Expand the EPL by three clubs for one season and try to start 20/21 more or less on time and finish it more or less as designed.  Yes it's imperfect but I think my idea is as fair to the clubs and as good for the league and the game as I can come up with.

They aren’t going to extend the PL to 23 teams. That’s 874 matches next season without further virus outbreaks. No chance. There’s still 92 matches left this season! Euro 2021 starts in June and won’t be delayed a second time. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went yesterday, first time in two years. An absolute fantastic day, rounded off with meeting Mo after the game in the petrol station. 

The greatest video ever made - the player, staff, fans and King Kenny singing YNWA after the game if you don't cry watching this you are probably dead inside https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news

Go ahead and kneel José. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

They aren’t the going to extend the PL to 23 teams. That’s 874 matches next season without further virus outbreaks. No chance. There’s still 92 matches left this season! 

My assumption is that those 92 matches never get played.  I'll also argue it would be dumb to try.  As to three additional matches per club yes I know that the calendar is crowded but there is some slack in the schedule - so use it.  There is also an argument that the additional matches will be useful for cash starved clubs - more matches = more broadcast inventory and more butts in seats.  

As this season does not look like last season it is likely next season will also not look like last season.  Some improvisation and even some unfairness is almost certainly going to be required.  At the end of the day what matters to everbody getting the game and the leagues going again. I honestly don't care if by some quirk of temporary rules Luton Town FC ends up hoisting the trophy in the next season; I honestly don't GAF (though I'd really appreciate it if Spurs didn't).  

2 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

My assumption is that those 92 matches never get played.  I'll also argue it would be dumb to try.  As to three additional matches per club yes I know that the calendar is crowded but there is some slack in the schedule - so use it.  There is also an argument that the additional matches will be useful for cash starved clubs - more matches = more broadcast inventory and more butts in seats.  

As this season does not look like last season it is likely next season will also not look like last season.  Some improvisation and even some unfairness is almost certainly going to be required.  At the end of the day what matters to everbody getting the game and the leagues going again. I honestly don't care if by some quirk of temporary rules Luton Town FC ends up hoisting the trophy in the next season; I honestly don't GAF (though I'd really appreciate it if Spurs didn't).  

Again makes perfect sense! 

On 4/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, Royston Vasey said:

The FA have to make the current season null and void. It’s the only option. Cancel everything and start again in August. Reboot. 

I completely agree.

Up The Villa.

• Like 1

If the FA decide there will be no more Premiership games this season, the title can not be handed to Liverpool as it is still mathematically possible for Man City ((maximum potential points total 87) to catch them (versus Liverpool currently on 82). 

It would be a sham. This is obviously frustrating for them, especially having waited so long for a title, but hey that’s life.

6 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

If the FA decide there will be no more Premiership games this season, the title can not be handed to Liverpool as it is still mathematically possible for Man City ((maximum potential points total 87) to catch them (versus Liverpool currently on 82). 

It would be a sham. This is obviously frustrating for them, especially having waited so long for a title, but hey that’s life.

Nah... I'm a MC supporter and I'm throwing the "bullshit flag" on the notion that they'd catch Liverpool; denying them the title would be the sham.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Dalglish family have tonight released the following statement to supporters regarding Sir Kenny Dalglish.

Sir Kenny was admitted to hospital on Wednesday April 8 for treatment of an infection which required intravenous antibiotics. 

In keeping with current procedures, he was subsequently tested for COVID-19 despite having previously displayed no symptoms of the illness. Unexpectedly, the test result was positive but he remains asymptomatic. 

Prior to his admission to hospital, Sir Kenny had chosen to voluntarily self-isolate for longer than the advised period together with his family. He would urge everyone to follow the relevant government and expert guidance in the days and weeks ahead. 

He would like to take this opportunity to thank the brilliant NHS staff, whose dedication, bravery and sacrifice should be the focus of the nation’s attention at this extraordinary time.

He would also ask that they are given the space to do their jobs during what is an extremely challenging time for them and that his own family’s privacy is respected.

He looks forward to being home soon. We will provide further updates as and when it is appropriate.

• Like 1

message from liverpool fc

Tributes were paid at Anfield this morning to the 96 Liverpool supporters who lost their lives in the Hillsborough tragedy.

A wreath was laid at the stadium’s Hillsborough memorial and a commemorative banner placed inside the ground as marks of respect on the 31st anniversary of the disaster, which unfolded during the FA Cup semi-final with Nottingham Forest on April 15, 1989.

The message on the wreath reads: 

We stand together today as a family to remember the 96 Liverpool fans – men, women and children – who so tragically lost their lives at Hillsborough.

It’s saddening that during these unprecedented circumstances that we cannot be together today in person at the last ever Memorial Service at Anfield to pay our respects to the 96, their families, the survivors and everyone affected by this tragedy. We hope to reschedule the memorial service in the near future so that we can come together to celebrate the lives of the 96.

Despite this, we are together in spirit today to offer our love and support on this very difficult day.

The 96 will forever be in our thoughts – they will never be forgotten.

You’ll Never Walk Alone.

From everyone at LFC and LFC Foundation.

• Like 1

sad News on this of all days

Hillsborough survivor dies after contracting coronavirus

Liverpool fan Dave Roland, captured in the moving image below during the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster, has died after contracting coronavirus, his family have said.

His daughter, Michelle Hopwood, told the Liverpool Echo that Mr Roland, 65, died at the Royal Liverpool Hospital on 6 April.

She said: "We have received so many messages from people who have explained the impact Dad had on their lives, from taking so many to their first Liverpool game standing them on a box in the Kop, to pouring out words of advice which some men are now saying changed their lives, even keeping them out of prison."

Ninety-six men, women and children died from the disaster which happened at Sheffield Wednesday's stadium during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on 15 April, 1989.

00DF6483-998D-47CF-B95C-8B5A07F7771D.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...

West of Scotland Junior League have announced Auchinleck Talbot as champions for this season, after the last games which were played they were/are 3rd in the table 12 points off the top.

I would have thought that our Liverpool FC supporting friends would be interested in any precedent set as far as deciding league titles this season was concerned, but I certainly am quite prepared to bow to your superior knowledge regarding this subject.:P

• Like 1

i can only speak for myself but i am well trained on reading other threads and posting on the correct one :o

btw who owes who the next round of beers?

2 hours ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

France football season null and void. A very sensible move. Hopefully we’ll prioritise human lives over money and football too. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52460468

I wonder why this was put in this thread? 

Haven't you been following the Live Football this weekend thread? Big Derby next weekend when the Sluts face-off against Whores.