Greasy Lake Community

The Liverpool FC Thread

GreetingsFromBarcelona

Don't the players play the game? And the managers manage the game? Where are the players in this discussion. I don't think Klopp told Allison to hand a couple balls off in the box. I don't think Klopp told Mane and Salah just make a couple runs towards goal. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Don't the players play the game? And the managers manage the game? Where are the players in this discussion. I don't think Klopp told Allison to hand a couple balls off in the box. I don't think Klopp told Mane and Salah just make a couple runs towards goal. 

No, but just as his attitude has inspired them in other seasons it will rub off negatively this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I’m a huge fan of him

Unless he had taken the United job in 2013, naturally. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It’s been fascinating to watch what he’s done with the team he built. Let’s see if he can come back from a tough spell.

Will be interesting to see if he builds another team or moves on if the tough spell gets any tougher over the next 3 months. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Unless he had taken the United job in 2013, naturally. 

Will be interesting to see if he builds another team or moves on if the tough spell gets any tougher over the next 3 months. 

I think he’s there for a bit longer. Even in this mad world he has to be close on unsackable?? 

Back to back CL finalists, one CL, one PL, World Club Cup, Super Cup in 3 years. That is some run and then throw in they only lost a couple of games across 2 seasons. Their fanbase needed to get used to losing games. Even as a sympathiser for all the Merseyside clubs, and staunch ABU, I was starting to find their social media presence a bit grating. 

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Maybe there is a burn out effect from how his sides play or maybe it was something else.

I’m a huge fan of him but I seriously think the way he’s carrying on is part of the team form issue. Losing his rag with everyone, blaming everything around him. It’s been fascinating to watch what he’s done with the team he built. Let’s see if he can come back from a tough spell.

I see abit of Wenger in him at times,the stubbornness to admit there's anything wrong that might be his fault such as the "I've got 2 good goalkeepers" scenario that came back to bite him,why didn't he have a centre back lined up to sign on the first day of the transfer window (however slim the pickings might have been) when he was already struggling in that position instead of waiting till the situation got worse then being linked with anyone that might be available in the last day or so making it look like desperation.

Yes it's a strange season but everybody has to deal with it,I know deflecting issues seems to be a thing at the moment but it does wear thin at times.

I do think though that the lack of a crowd at Anfield may be a slight factor,they have seemed to be a 12th man at times in certain games more so than some other clubs.

I don't know where the playing the ball out from the back idea started but clubs need to start realising it doesn't work,teams will work you out & press to force the mistake,just hoof it,it might not be pretty but the opposition can't score if the ball is in the stand or 20ft above the halfway line.

34 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Real legends stick around and build great team after great team after great team over many years.

I think he’ll be up for doing that. Whether the owners buy into that is a different matter.

He’s a great legacy at LFC already of building a team that improved over a number of seasons until they reached the goals set of them.

I also think the theory that almost refuses to acknowledge excellence unless they “do it time and time again” is a bit thin. The stratosphere that contains those sorts of managers is minuscule and reserved for the likes of Ferguson, Paisley, Shankly, Stein and (possibly Clough).

What Klopp has done with a club that fell such a way from their glory years is incredible and he deserves that recognition no matter what happens now.

The modern mentality of players, fans and owners is embarrassing far removed from those of pre Prem years and that has to be factored in too.

• Thanks 1

Klopp gambled by paying over 170million for 3 players instrumental in winning the premier league, (van dyke,allison and salah) spending that much on 3 players means his squad is thin. also not playing a defender in defence like phillips and taking Henderson out of midfield which would release thiago  into a more attacking role is a tactical error in my mind

16 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Had to Google that, Are you talking about The Jacks Zone at Swansea? 

“Why are Swansea City fans called Jacks? There are two theories behind the club's famous nickname: the reputation of local seamen known as 'Jack tars' in the early 19th century and a black retriever dog called Swansea Jack who rescued 27 people from drowning in the Tawe and docks during the 1930s”

I never knew either! Hope it’s because of the little doggie.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Real legends stick around and build great team after great team after great team over many years.

Many would say that Busby was the greatest of all. To literally rebuild a club and not just a team after the Munich tragedy took away his back to back title winning team. To recover physically and mentally and then build a new team which was able to win 2 more league titles and the European cup is definitely worthy of that over used and rarely deserved word of ‘legend’. 

• Like 3

Var making a pigs ear of things , commentators say Leicester are getting a penalty but display says no penalty...

leicester take a free kick disallowed for offside but var operator mr busstop says no there is an elbow playing someone onside so goal

then another Allison blunder

"

internet fired up in troll town,

and meanwhile on the  south coast mr busstop fires up the meme uploader

:angry:

Mainz imploded, Dortmund imploded, Liverpool are now imploding, it’s what Klopp does.

Hugely entertaining for the rest of us though. Allison’s latest blunder today was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. Trent and Robbo poor yet again, the gormless simpleton Henderson looking even more confused than usual.

Deluded “best fans in the world” blaming injuries, the ref and VAR. :D

On 2/8/2021 at 10:32 PM, Captain Chaos said:

No, but just as his attitude has inspired them in other seasons it will rub off negatively this.

Pep once said that he can't stay longer than 3 or 4 years at a club, because by then the players start to hate his intensity and constant demands. I'm actually surprised he's still at City. Maybe he also calmed down a little. But during his Barça days players like Messi and Pique were not sad when he left.

And I think Pep and Klopp are very similar in this regard. The constant demand for 100% intensity, be it on the training pitch or the way they play, exhausts players mentally after a while.

One’s heart goes out to these Liverpool players. Mentally and physically exhausted from all accounts. The poor guys. It must be tough especially on wages of only £5Mpa per man. Trying to put in a shift twice a week. Highly tuned athletes though. Klopp has destroyed them, apparently, the poor lads. Real shame for the fans too. The only time many of them got to see the team win the league title and no one could experience the moment in the stadium. The Kop lay silent. The team walked alone with no adulation from the stands. Brilliant.

1 hour ago, LeoGetz said:

Pep once said that he can't stay longer than 3 or 4 years at a club, because by then the players start to hate his intensity and constant demands. I'm actually surprised he's still at City. Maybe he also calmed down a little. But during his Barça days players like Messi and Pique were not sad when he left.

And I think Pep and Klopp are very similar in this regard. The constant demand for 100% intensity, be it on the training pitch or the way they play, exhausts players mentally after a while.

My take is Liverpool is in about the same spot Manchester City were last season; a bit worn out and the squad needs a bit of new blood to keep other clubs honest and keep the longer term players interested.  I still expect a top 4 finish out of them.  They'll be back next season likely enough.