Greasy Lake Community

The Liverpool FC Thread

GreetingsFromBarcelona

3 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Pep once said that he can't stay longer than 3 or 4 years at a club, because by then the players start to hate his intensity and constant demands. I'm actually surprised he's still at City. Maybe he also calmed down a little. But during his Barça days players like Messi and Pique were not sad when he left.

And I think Pep and Klopp are very similar in this regard. The constant demand for 100% intensity, be it on the training pitch or the way they play, exhausts players mentally after a while.

I don't believe in this philosophy. 100% intensity is needed in all professions. No matter in sports or business or medicine. 

And if you aren't giving 100% you will be replaced. 

3 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

One’s heart goes out to these Liverpool players. Mentally and physically exhausted from all accounts. The poor guys. It must be tough especially on wages of only £5Mpa per man. Trying to put in a shift twice a week. Highly tuned athletes though.

The wages won’t help with tiredness, doesn’t matter what the players earn. But the Euros this summer will make fatigue even worse as next season progresses.  

All the big clubs will need CL status to invest the right quality players in their squads, not to mention the income to offset the financial impact of the pandemic. 

To many players looking mentally broken. 

Trent has been a shadow of himself since September.

Alisson is on the verge of joining a long list of LFC GK’s on the scrap heap.

Thiago probably wishes he was still injured.

Sadio is playing like a snake with a broken back. 
Still looked far better than Leicester over 90 mins and they’re third. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't believe in this philosophy. 100% intensity is needed in all professions. No matter in sports or business or medicine. 

Nobody can give 100% 100% of the time; it's not possible.  If you have a family, if you have outside interests, if you have any concerns or stressors, you will, to a greater or lesser extent, be distracted from your profession.  On top of that, people need to recharge both mentally and physically - this isn't just commons sense, it's empirically demonstrable.  

• Like 2

When will the press stop talking about sides “shocking” LFC or describing them as a “high octane” side. Such lazy journalism. As great as this side has been it would logically be more shocking to see them beat a side right now. And “high octane” hasn’t been true for a bout a season and a half. I thought they’d dropped that bombs away approach even the year they won the PL. Far more controlled. 

The ascent or descent of any sporting talent is fascinating to watch. Whether this is a descent or just a mad one off season makes it even more interesting.

14 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Former German player Michael Schulz once told a story about a coach who screamed at them before matches to get them fired up. He also nailed money to the dressing room door for the first player to score. That type of motivation worked wonders for the team ... for one season. Then the schtick got old and he was eventually sacked.

Frank Rijkaard gave his players at Barça a lot of leeway. He was a calm communicator and never raised his voice. After a number of coaches who were the complete opposite, the team needed that. A perfect team chemistry, 2 league titles and a Champions League trophy proved Rijkaard right. But eventually the players took advantage of having a "buddy" as a manager and ended up doing what they wanted. Rijkaard was sacked.

What I want to say is that there's more than one way to get the best out of your players. And if you want to hod on to your job as a coach you must adapt. I think Pep did that. Maybe Klopp didn't (yet).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

When will the press stop talking about sides “shocking” LFC or describing them as a “high octane” side. Such lazy journalism. As great as this side has been it would logically be more shocking to see them beat a side right now. And “high octane” hasn’t been true for a bout a season and a half. I thought they’d dropped that bombs away approach even the year they won the PL. Far more controlled. 

The ascent or descent of any sporting talent is fascinating to watch. Whether this is a descent or just a mad one off season makes it even more interesting.

Tell me about it. As a Barça fan I have been wondering about that type of reporting for years now. People read, hear or see "Barcelona" and think it's still 2011. But I guess that's journalism nowadays. Everything has to be sensational.

48 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

Tell me about it. As a Barça fan I have been wondering about that type of reporting for years now. People read, hear or see "Barcelona" and think it's still 2011. But I guess that's journalism nowadays. Everything has to be sensational.

There is a lot of "group think" in journalism of all types; they go on describing things in a way that is obviously not true. The "CW" (conventional wisdom) is little more than a bunch of journalists talking to each other and talking to the same old sources and churning out the same old narratives.  It's easy and reflects a certain blinkered out look on their beat and, lets face it, a certain mental laziness. 

Like any other profession there are only a limited number of really good journalists out there.  The rest of them do "paint by numbers" and all to easily give in to just mailing it in.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, LeoGetz said:

Former German player Michael Schulz once told a story about a coach who screamed at them before matches to get them fired up. He also nailed money to the dressing room door for the first player to score. That type of motivation worked wonders for the team ... for one season. Then the schtick got old and he was eventually sacked.

Frank Rijkaard gave his players at Barça a lot of leeway. He was a calm communicator and never raised his voice. After a number of coaches who were the complete opposite, the team needed that. A perfect team chemistry, 2 league titles and a Champions League trophy proved Rijkaard right. But eventually the players took advantage of having a "buddy" as a manager and ended up doing what they wanted. Rijkaard was sacked.

What I want to say is that there's more than one way to get the best out of your players. And if you want to hod on to your job as a coach you must adapt. I think Pep did that. Maybe Klopp didn't (yet).

That’s precisely why Fergie was so clever, changing his first team coach every few years - Knox, Kidd, McLaren, Querioz, Phelan, Meulenststeen etc.

So Jurgen Klopp has reassured the LFC fan base that he is “ok and that people needn’t worry about him”.

The world is bonkers.

There is a thing called “Scouse Twitter” it seems. Its purpose appears to be to rally around and attack any Twitter based criticism/insult hurled at the football club. The criticisms range from the sensible and justified to the embarrassing segment of our wonderful planet just still think bringing up Hillsborough is a way of cage rattling. Likewise, you have the woefully unimaginative tribe who drag out the old “bin dipper” shouts. Pitiful creatures who undoubtedly live in their mother’s box room and dream of female contact not requiring monetary arrangements. 

As this odd battle rages, a multi millionaire, CL/PL winning manager has banners of support draped outside the stadium and online campaigns launched to help him through. On the back of 3 consecutive losses. 

Will there be a crowd funding exercise launched if they get beat tomorrow? 

On 2/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, LeoGetz said:

Very true. Sensationalist and reactive.

10 minutes ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Feeling fairly confident about tomorrow. We totally outplayed Leicester for 75 minutes and our away form has been good. Alisson is a worry though. Seems to have got a dose of the LFC GK HEEBIE JEEBIES.

Leipzig look a handful going forward.

Who you think he’ll go with at CB?

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Leipzig look a handful going forward.

Who you think he’ll go with at CB?

I watched their game against Mainz a few weeks back and they shipped in four, so it could be fun. I like the look of the coach too.

Kabak & Hendo would be my guess?

18 minutes ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

I watched their game against Mainz a few weeks back and they shipped in four, so it could be fun. I like the look of the coach too.

Not sure if he can play the lad from Preston but I think he needs to go with two natural centre backs.

Not only do you miss Henderson in the middle but that Thiago looks a liability without two engines alongside him. He  looked every bit as good as his rep suggested at first but he looks like he’s had a few cans of special brew pre kick off lately. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

:D, you make me use Google more than any one person here! :D

I moved to Portugal in September and my next door neighbour is from Alabama and my new drinking buddy is from Washington. It’s like being trapped in a Ted Lasso episode. Hours of fun though. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

I’d go with Hendo and Millie, he’s so versatile. Kabak is a liability.  Or try Trent and robbo, they’ve been shocking as full backs. Karius needs to replace Allie. Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Not sure if he can play the lad from Preston but I think he needs to go with two natural centre backs.

Not only do you miss Henderson in the middle but that Thiago looks a liability without two engines alongside him. He  looked every bit as good as his rep suggested at first but he looks like he’s had a few cans of special brew pre kick off lately. 

Yeah totally agree. Only fit midfielders are Hendo, Gini, Thiago & Curtis. Wonder if that lad from Preston can play in midfield ffs.

1 minute ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

I moved to Portugal in September and my next door neighbour is from Alabama and my new drinking buddy is from Washington. It’s like being trapped in a Ted Lasso episode. Hours of fun though. 

At least the three of you speak some form of English! 

I'm always amazed with you guys moving to other countries like us moving to other states. Are you Bi-lingual? That's another thing that amazes me! Portuguese is a bit different than Spanish, No?