Greasy Lake Community

The Liverpool FC Thread

GreetingsFromBarcelona

I definitely think the squad is in need of a refresh.  Not a rebuild but something to keep it fresh and interesting.  Liverpool have been playing at a very high level for a fair length of time and that's difficult to sustain.  Bring in some new players that want a piece of a big side and send off some players who have done everything and won everything they can possibly can with the present side.  Give Klopp something new to chew on (and in the meantime give him a bit of a break - his personal circumstances are hard enough to be considered cruel).  Not their year but it doesn't mean they are in complete free fall; too much talent, too much money.  They will be back in the hunt soon enough - and they aren't out of the hunt for silverware just yet so I'm saving my obit.

I have done some detailed research into why Liverpool have collapsed in the manner they have. How could a team nose dive in such a manner in such a small space of time ? I found my way on to John Barnes’s Twitter page and he says, with great authority, ‘it’s down to injuries, as simple as that’........in which case burn out can be discounted, as well as dodgy refs, and Klopp having lost the plot but with no Plan B in his locker. The whole meltdown is one of the most extraordinary footballing falls from grace I can remember. 

1 hour ago, Royston Vasey said:

I have done some detailed research into why Liverpool have collapsed in the manner they have. How could a team nose dive in such a manner in such a small space of time ? I found my way on to John Barnes’s Twitter page and he says, with great authority, ‘it’s down to injuries, as simple as that’........in which case burn out can be discounted, as well as dodgy refs, and Klopp having lost the plot but with no Plan B in his locker. The whole meltdown is one of the most extraordinary footballing falls from grace I can remember. 

Spurs as well. They were the top two as recently as 16th December. 

8C399749-ADFA-4EFB-AA32-BB5C7EAC42A4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Mad how this season has been a complete an utter cluster fuck but we are still only 9 points behind the glamorous Manchester United. Whilst still being in with a shout of winning our 7th (seventh) European cup.

A very good shout, all 8 teams in the quarters can win it. That’s the beauty of cup football as LFC have shown many times. I reckon they will need to win it to stay in it. 

4 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

we are still only 9 points behind the glamorous Manchester United.

Just looked up that United were 38 points behind LFC after 25 games last season and are 9 ahead of them after 25 games this season. A 47 point transition can’t be just down to injuries surely. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Oh, I believe it is! 19 different combinations of Centerbacks all due to injuries. That changed their Midfield dramatically.  

I’m sold on it! Their 1 premier league title was because they didn’t get many injuries last season. I knew it had to be a fluke. Even better! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AMIW said:

According to the stats this is the busiest thread on the forum 24 replies in the last week 21 of which were from non Liverpool supporters

liverpool must just be more popular than the other teams 

:)

It’s because they’re the gift that keep on giving. This worked out well :D

Hard man Hendo out for 12 weeks.

425F6CA1-67FC-4B7C-8B7D-8FFB7F4B15C3.jpeg

The father of Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson has died after drowning in a lake near his holiday home in southern Brazil on Wednesday, according to local police.

Jose Becker, 57, had been swimming at a dam on his property when the accident happened on Wednesday afternoon, Doroteo Machado Filho, a police inspector in the town of Lavras do Sul, told Reuters. No foul play was suspected.

Brazilian club Internacional, who both Alisson and his brother Muriel played for, tweeted their condolences.

"It is with great sadness that we received the news of Jose Agostinho Becker's death, the father of our ex-goalkeepers Alisson and Muriel," the club said.

Alisson began his career at Internacional before joining Roma in 2016. He moved to Liverpool, where he has established himself as one of the world's best keepers, two years later.

The 28-year-old has been a regular for Liverpool since joining the club, helping them to win the Premier League, Champions League, Club World Cup and European Super Cup in that time.

He has also won 44 caps for Brazil and was named FIFA Best Men's Goalkeeper in 2019.

Alisson's brother, Muriel, also began his career at Internacional. The 34-year-old joined Portuguese club Belenenses in 2017 but returned to Brazil with Fluminense two years later.

He has three caps for Brazil's U20 side.

Fluminense said on Twitter: "Fluminense Football Club deeply regret the passing of Jose Agostinho Becker, father of goalkeepers Muriel and Alisson. We wish all strength to his friends and family."

The death of Jose Becker comes just weeks after Jurgen Klopp's mother, Elisabeth, passed away.

The Liverpool manager was unable to attend her funeral due to a German ban on travellers from England.

• Sad 1

On 2/23/2021 at 9:53 PM, AMIW said:

According to the stats this is the busiest thread on the forum 24 replies in the last week 21 of which were from non Liverpool supporters

liverpool must just be more popular than the other teams 

:)

Andrew, you are the top poster in the Man City, Chelsea and Spurs threads, over 2,000 posts combined more than your posts in the LFC thread.

In a record 756 posts you have mentioned "evil cheese" outstanding patter.

• Haha 1

Huge game for Klopp this weekend. Here is a man under real pressure with comments in a recent press interview blaming injuries (“the team haven’t been able to play together regularly”) as his main ‘get out of jail card’. He goes on to say some tinkering with the squad required this summer, but no major surgery needed. Classic defensive excuses to divert any attention from he himself being part of the cause of the meltdown.

It would be a lovely gesture to see the players wearing black armbands on Sunday, not just for Hendo, but also VVD......and Gerry Marsden.