Greasy Lake Community

Do we have any massive Floyd fans? My uncle is a huge fan and we went to see Brit Floyd when I only knew about 3 of their songs. Went and listened to more and when we went to see them again for a second time I knew more but not a lot. Watched a documentary on them last night which led me to buy 4 more of their albums without even listening first.

Been addicted to this version of 'Shine On...' the crowd reaction at every point is epic. (I luckily did know this before the gig).

What are their best abums in order? I have yet to decide

• Like 2
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrific thread.......my first ever 'gig' was the Floyd at Wembley Arena (then called the Empire Pool Wembley) must have been I think 1975........Wish You Were Here had been released. They played DSOT

I think Animals is their most underrated. Love that album...

Brilliant show from Roger in Lisbon on Sunday night. Can't say too much as it would include spoilers but it is a feast for the senses. Great setlist, brilliant playing, impeccable sound and amazing li

Posted Images

I loved the wall for a long time

The movie is a bit freeky

They are the rudest flowers I've ever seen !!!

Anyway I completly wore the CD out

But it used to make me angry like a teenage boy so I never replaced it

There is this truck that comes into work

He has titles of pink Floyd songs written all over the cab and rge trailer

I always think oh wow !

That would be so cool if it were Bruce songs LOL !!

My five favorites in no particular order.

The Wall

Dark Side of The Moon

Wish You Were Here

A Momentary Lapse of Reasoning

The Final Cut

The Division Bell could rotate into there on any given day.

• Like 1

My five favorites in no particular order.

The Wall

Dark Side of The Moon

Wish You Were Here

A Momentary Lapse of Reasoning

The Final Cut

The Division Bell could rotate into there on any given day.

Agree with Jerseyfornia. Add "Meddle" to the list and you've got it.

MeddleCover.jpeg

• Like 2

Not a big fan of the post Roger Waters stuff myself. My faves:

Wish You Were Here

The Wall

Animals

The Final Cut

Dark Side of the Moon

Ummagumma

Meddle

Could almost combine The Wall and The Final Cut into a single album actually.

• Like 3
Could almost combine The Wall and The Final Cut into a single album actually.

Couldn't agree more. And as such it would be the greatest album ever. The Wall and The Final Cut are two of my all time favorite albums (by anyone).

• Like 2

I'm a big Floyd fan. I love em. Much the same as Bruce fans, I have Floydie friends all over the globe. I went to see Roger do 'The Wall' in Boston with a whole crowd of US fans. A memory I will always cherish as it was just such a great time.

I'm big into so many different genres of music, but if I'm ever asked to be more specific and name names, it's always Bruce, Floyd and The Band.

One of the very few things I miss about my old job, is that I used to drive past Battersea Power Station several times a week. I love that building - it's like an old friend. I miss hooting my horn at fellow Floydies posing for photos.

( I Love Animals, obviously )

Dark Side Of The Moon is my favourite album though. Nothing reflects the English psyche better.

• Like 1

These came out too dark, but this was another memorable evening - when David did the charity gig for Crisis at Union Chapel.
I was so close to him! The first two pews were reserved for family and other important peeps - Polly and, I think, Joe, were sitting in front of us - we were row 3.

https://www.facebook.com/RocknRollSue/media_set?set=a.100640758055.114148.530678055&type=3

Hey here's a question, what did everyone think of Pink Floyd's album from last year "The Endless River"?

I found the single to be a real grower - sounded very much like Div Bell material. As as whole though, quite disappointing. Not the way I would have chosen to say goodbye to Pink Floyd, but *shrugs*

• Like 1

Hey here's a question, what did everyone think of Pink Floyd's album from last year "The Endless River"?

I found the single to be a real grower - sounded very much like Div Bell material. As as whole though, quite disappointing. Not the way I would have chosen to say goodbye to Pink Floyd, but *shrugs*

I think this is the best David Gilmour can do. As incredible a guitarist as he is, pretty much all of the best Pink Floyd songs were written by Barrett and Waters. Don't get me wrong, I like both Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell a lot, but they're nowhere near as good as the earlier Pink Floyd stuff. That said, I really like the new album. Considering it's not as much a "goodbye to Pink Floyd" record as it is an homage to Rick Wright, I think it's a decent effort...

I think this is the best David Gilmour can do. As incredible a guitarist as he is, pretty much all of the best Pink Floyd songs were written by Barrett and Waters. Don't get me wrong, I like both Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell a lot, but they're nowhere near as good as the earlier Pink Floyd stuff. That said, I really like the new album. Considering it's not as much a "goodbye to Pink Floyd" record as it is an homage to Rick Wright, I think it's a decent effort...

I know it was an album for Rick, but in David's own words, it also marked the last offering from PF, so both apply.

Agreed, David/Polly aren't the best of songwriters. I'm not much of a fan of the Barrett era, personally, either. Roger is tops for me.

• Like 1

I liked them up to Animals. Later stuff was ok.

Gilmour is a great guitar player. One of my favourites

I saw them live a couple of times. Liverpool Empire November 1974 and Bingley Hall 1977. A lot of nice lighting effects but not the most charismatic performers I've ever seen.

I love the Animal Instincts bootleg from 1977. Shame we only have this as an audience recording.

Big floyd fan, going to see Gilmour later this year too. Seen him once before from row 3 at the rah, seen waters 5 times, and was at live 8 for the last true floyd show!

I would say

dark side

The wall

Wish you were here

Animals

Meddle

Division bell.

The final cut

I like ter but it's pretty generic as might be expected really.

It's interesting that the spiritualized fan site I read have the same discussion and they say anything before dark side then that's it!! Different bands different fans.

I do like Rogers amused to death album too, there's a remaster of this due at some point this year in 5.1 sound

Question.
I am not a Pink Floyd fan, I own some albums that I like (not love), never saw them live. I am not even a casual fan.
But: nobody here did mention the early albums with Barrett as their favourites. Is there a reason for this?

The thing is... Barrett's songs are psychedelic excursions into a troubled man's mind. You have to be in the right mood to enjoy them. That said, some of his compositions are true masterpieces. Arnold Layne, for instance, is right up there with the very best Pink Floyd songs:

See Emily Play is not bad either:

Question.

I am not a Pink Floyd fan, i own some albums that i like, not love, never saw them live. I am not even a casual fan.

But: nobody here mention the early albums with Barrett as their favourites. Is There a reason for this?

Personally I never liked the Syd Barrett stuff much. Pretty certain he only played on their first album and early singles but I might be wrong.

I never liked that whimsical style of writing. For me Floyd proper started with Dave Gilmour.

Question.

I am not a Pink Floyd fan, i own some albums that i like, not love, never saw them live. I am not even a casual fan.

But: nobody here mention the early albums with Barrett as their favourites. Is There a reason for this?

Personally I never liked the Syd Barrett stuff much. Pretty certain he only played on their first album and early singles but I might be wrong.

I never liked that whimsical style of writing. For me Floyd proper started with Dave Gilmour.

That's what I was trying to get at with the spiritualized message board comments, these fans like early Barrett era floyd, we Bruce fans seem to like later / mid era floyd - but then I guess not that many Bruce fans like spiritualized either maybe?

I do like it but as we say only at a certain time / state of mind, and no of course nowhere as near as much as the stuff from meddle onwards.

Yes Syd did only play on the first album and singles , Gilmour produced his solo albums , I think they used to play / put Syd stuff on live albums so that he got some royalties !