Greasy Lake Community

The thing is... Barrett's songs are psychedelic excursions into a troubled man's mind. You have to be in the right mood to enjoy them. That said, some of his compositions are true masterpieces. Arnold Layne, for instance, is right up there with the very best Pink Floyd songs:

See Emily Play is not bad either:

I think they're ok. They just don't work for me the same as the later recordings. I have a few friends who still rave about Syd, but personally, I just don't get it.

I'd probably feel different if I was a teen in those days.. and a stoner ;)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrific thread.......my first ever 'gig' was the Floyd at Wembley Arena (then called the Empire Pool Wembley) must have been I think 1975........Wish You Were Here had been released. They played DSOT

I think Animals is their most underrated. Love that album...

Brilliant show from Roger in Lisbon on Sunday night. Can't say too much as it would include spoilers but it is a feast for the senses. Great setlist, brilliant playing, impeccable sound and amazing li

Posted Images

This quite a nice floyd site lots of pics and things, run by a very long term fan, the forums useful and informative but not quite what we have here at the lake , although the band are much less active nowadays too I guess, and there are a few pedantic aspects.

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/index.html

I guess I agree re Syd you probably had to be there so to speak!!

Ahhhh how did I miss this thread?!?!?!?!?!

Aside from Bruce, Pink Floyd is my favorite band. The very first concert I ever went to was Floyd during the Division Bell Tour. June 4th, 1994 in Philly. Since then I saw Gilmour twice (Back to back nights at Radio City Music Hall in 2006 with both David Crosby and Graham Nash making appearances throughout the shows) and Waters twice (Once on the In The Flesh tour in Wilkes Barre, PA, then once on the Dark Side Of The Moon Tour; night two at MSG with Nick showing up to drum when they did the album), and those 5 shows make up most of my favorite non-Bruce shows.

My top 5:

1. Wish You Were Here (To me, the greatest single album I have ever heard by anyone, ever. Not even BTR or Darkness can touch this album in it's perfection)

2. Dark Side

3. Meddle

4. The Wall / The Final Cut (As some have already pointed out here, these 2 albums are joined at the hip)

5. Animals

As far as The Endless River goes, I didn't expect much out of it, so I can't say I was even disappointed with it, because I had a feeling it was not going to be very much to begin with. I though would have very much preferred that Roger somehow had been included in it, being that it is the final Floyd album. Even if it was just him playing the bass on a few songs. It wouldn't have done much to improve the actual album, but at least it would have felt more appropriate as a final send off for this tremendous band to have him on there.

• Like 1

The thing is... Barrett's songs are psychedelic excursions into a troubled man's mind. You have to be in the right mood to enjoy them. That said, some of his compositions are true masterpieces. Arnold Layne, for instance, is right up there with the very best Pink Floyd songs. See Emily Play is not bad either:

I think they're ok. They just don't work for me the same as the later recordings. I have a few friends who still rave about Syd, but personally, I just don't get it.

I wasn't a teen in those days and yet find some of his songs amazing. Do you like The Doors? The early Floyd stuff sounds pretty similar to their music... I never touched drugs (well, except for weed), but I think this kind of music is uplifting in a way. It opens up a door to a different universe where there are no rules. It's so spontaneous. And I don't think you necessarily have to be a stoner or just "be there" to be able to enjoy it...

That said, I too like the later records better. Like I said earlier, my two favorite albums are The Wall and The Final Cut. You get the picture... I mean, how good is this:

Oh, but it's so much fun to play someone who's never listened to Floyd before one of the Syd songs. It's fantastic to see the look on their face when they hear something like this:

"I've got a clan of gingerbread man! Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread man!"

:D:lol:

• Like 1

Tell me about it :D

By the way, you're so lucky to have seen them on the Division Bell Tour. That's one of my biggest regrets... My father saw them in Prague on the same tour (I'll never forgive him for not taking me with him) and says that to this day, it remains the single most amazing night of his life...

The thing is... Barrett's songs are psychedelic excursions into a troubled man's mind. You have to be in the right mood to enjoy them. That said, some of his compositions are true masterpieces. Arnold Layne, for instance, is right up there with the very best Pink Floyd songs. See Emily Play is not bad either:

I wasn't a teen in those days and yet find some of his songs amazing. Do you like The Doors? The early Floyd stuff sounds pretty similar to their music... I never touched drugs (well, except for weed), but I think this kind of music is uplifting in a way. It opens up a door to a different universe where there are no rules. It's so spontaneous. And I don't think you necessarily have to be a stoner or just "be there" to be able to enjoy it...

That said, I too like the later records better. Like I said earlier, my two favorite albums are The Wall and The Final Cut. You get the picture... I mean, how good is this:

It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. Nothing serious. Its music and we like what we like, is all. Just not my thing.

All this Floyd talk has got me hungry for some, though. Having a bit of a Floyd night, watching some dvds.

Terrific thread.......my first ever 'gig' was the Floyd at Wembley Arena (then called the Empire Pool Wembley) must have been I think 1975........Wish You Were Here had been released. They played DSOTM straight through, interval, then WYWH straight through, quite brilliant, the tickets were about £4.50 (!). Huge light show and I remember a massive screen above the stage for all the video / photographic stuff - I guess they were well ahead of their time in terms of all the serious additional 'kit' that went with their shows even then.

Fully with State Throoper......Wish You Were Here for me THE album, totally flawless, incredible, brilliant.

That said, listening to The Division Bell right now, I can't help but just love the likes of Poles Apart, and Take It Back (the latter a superb track for the car when driving at night....fast).

One other thought..........Atom Heart Mother anyone ?

• Like 5

Gerald's a good name for a mouse too!

Rogers recent wall tour was immense!

I think this thread could run and run.

Roger's Wall was near on legendary! A night of overwhelming emotions. I was a bit over come at the beginning - I was crying a bit, but with a huge smile. Felt a bit of a loon, until I noticed the bloke next to me was crying too.

Awesome evening!

• Like 4

You bet! "If" and "Fat Old Sun" are just perfect...!

God, DSOTM and WYWH at one show... I was born too late...

You bet! "If" and "Fat Old Sun" are just perfect...!

God, DSOTM and WYWH at one show... I was born too late...

Not sure about that. See my post above re. 70's gigs. It was like watching life size cardboard cut outs (drummer excepted) with lighting effects.

But they sounded great.

Roger's Wall was near on legendary! A night of overwhelming emotions. I was a bit over come at the beginning - I was crying a bit, but with a huge smile. Felt a bit of a loon, until I noticed the bloke next to me was crying too.

Awesome evening!

I envy anyone who got to see one of those shows. I tried so hard to get tickets for one of those shows when he was State-side at either Philly or MSG, but I just flat-out didn't have the money to pay for the tickets on the secondary market after all the shows sold out before I could even attempt to get them when they went on sale. I've spent a lot of time since then watching the bootlegs from the tour and just hating myself for not getting to go. Just the opening with the Spartacus speech leading into the Outside The Wall trumpet bit leading into In The Flesh alone is spine tingling. And that's just the opening!

One of the things I absolutely loved about Waters' DSOTM tour was during the encores when he did the whole Vera / Bring The Boys Back Home / Comfortably Numb segment, but damn, to get to see all of that with the full Wall experience must be breathtaking.

• Like 1

Terrific thread.......my first ever 'gig' was the Floyd at Wembley Arena (then called the Empire Pool Wembley) must have been I think 1975........Wish You Were Here had been released. They played DSOTM straight through, interval, then WYWH straight through, quite brilliant, the tickets were about £4.50 (!). Huge light show and I remember a massive screen above the stage for all the video / photographic stuff - I guess they were well ahead of their time in terms of all the serious additional 'kit' that went with their shows even then.

Fully with State Throoper......Wish You Were Here for me THE album, totally flawless, incredible, brilliant.

That said, listening to The Division Bell right now, I can't help but just love the likes of Poles Apart, and Take It Back (the latter a superb track for the car when driving at night....fast).

You might like these

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/wembley74/e.htm

Awesome evening!

I envy anyone who got to see one of those shows. I tried so hard to get tickets for one of those shows when he was State-side at either Philly or MSG, but I just flat-out didn't have the money to pay for the tickets on the secondary market after all the shows sold out before I could even attempt to get them when they went on sale. I've spent a lot of time since then watching the bootlegs from the tour and just hating myself for not getting to go. Just the opening with the Spartacus speech leading into the Outside The Wall trumpet bit leading into In The Flesh alone is spine tingling. And that's just the opening!

One of the things I absolutely loved about Waters' DSOTM tour was during the encores when he did the whole Vera / Bring The Boys Back Home / Comfortably Numb segment, but damn, to get to see all of that with the full Wall experience must be breathtaking.

He might get round to releasing the film he made about it!! One day!!

To anyone just wandering in to this thread who don't understand why those of us who love Floyd so much do, well, here, this is why:

If that doesn't move you when you hear it, then don't bother ever trying to understand Pink Floyd at all, because you never will. :P

I agree. Brilliant. Proper rock music with long guitar solos. Love it. Although strictly speaking that's from a Dave Gilmour solo show with one other ex Pink Floyd member.

Awesome evening!

It's the most I've ever paid for a gig ticket - $252 :o

But I was row 7 of the floor seats, right on the centre aisle and it was freakin' awesome. It was so good, in fact, that when he did The Wall at Wembley - on my birthday! - the following year, I wasn't even tempted to go.

Boston was so good, I didn't want to dilute the memory, if that makes sense?

• Like 2

Awesome evening!

It's the most I've ever paid for a gig ticket - $252 :o

But I was row 7 of the floor seats, right on the centre aisle and it was freakin' awesome. It was so good, in fact, that when he did The Wall at Wembley - on my birthday! - the following year, I wasn't even tempted to go.

Boston was so good, I didn't want to dilute the memory, if that makes sense?

It makes total sense.

If you're a Pink Floyd fan but have never heard More or Obscured by Clouds, they're well worth checking out. Minor works, to be sure, when compared with anything from Meddle through The Final Cut, but it's nice to hear some Floyd that hasn't been played to death by classic rock radio.

To anyone just wandering in to this thread who don't understand why those of us who love Floyd so much do, well, here, this is why:

If that doesn't move you when you hear it, then don't bother ever trying to understand Pink Floyd at all, because you never will. :P

Wow .... nice find ....thanks

A few of my Polish friends were at that show and then went completely nuts when it got officially released... Haven't watched the DVD in ages... Well, I know what I'm going to do tonight :D

This might have been the tour I saw at the Liverpool Empire when I was a wee lad. They played a first set of Raving and Drooling and You Gotta be Crazy (later renamed for Animals) and Shine on You Crazy Diamond Second set was DOTM followed by an encore of Echoes.

Can you imagine a major band these days playing a full hour of unreleased material live?

Shame the live version of Echoes from this tour has never been officially released - though I do have a soundboard version from the 'Cruel but Fair' bootleg.

and yes side one of Atom Heart Mother is brilliant