Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrific thread.......my first ever 'gig' was the Floyd at Wembley Arena (then called the Empire Pool Wembley) must have been I think 1975........Wish You Were Here had been released. They played DSOT

I think Animals is their most underrated. Love that album...

Brilliant show from Roger in Lisbon on Sunday night. Can't say too much as it would include spoilers but it is a feast for the senses. Great setlist, brilliant playing, impeccable sound and amazing li

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So there's a big Floyd museum exhibition at the V&A next year from May to October , looks pretty interesting if you like that sort of thing!  Which I do, :D

http://pinkfloydexhibition.com/#about2

I think its a carry over from the one that was going to be in Milan a couple of years ago but fell through. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

So there's a big Floyd museum exhibition at the V&A next year from May to October , looks pretty interesting if you like that sort of thing!  Which I do, :D

http://pinkfloydexhibition.com/#about2

I think its a carry over from the one that was going to be in Milan a couple of years ago but fell through. 

Was just coming over to post the same thing. This will be great. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a gilmour ticket for Friday at the Royal Albert hall!!  On the official rah site now!!   Didn't think I could go at all due to family stuff but now can and am!!    :D

Very excited!!!   Last years show were great!!    :D

23 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Just picked up a gilmour ticket for Friday at the Royal Albert hall!!  On the official rah site now!!   Didn't think I could go at all due to family stuff but now can and am!!    :D

Very excited!!!   Last years show were great!!    :D

Now, that's really something. Enjoy the show!

21 hours ago, stillilllife said:

I recently listened to their whole discography. Before that I had heard maybe 5 songs at most. My favorite album after having listened to them all is The Wall. The classic Dark side of the moon didn't really impress me though...only like 2-3 songs on it became keepers for me.

Tastes vary, obviously, and not every album by every artist you like will really connect with you. But I wouldn't give up on Dark Side just yet—like Exile on Main Street, it works much better as a unified statement than a collection of individual songs—great as some of those songs may also be in isolation—so that even something relatively lightweight like, say, "Any Colour You Like" has significantly more weight and merit in context.

Of course, there's also every chance you'll never like it, whether due to overexposure or just because the two of you don't quite click. :)

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Tastes vary, obviously, and not every album by every artist you like will really connect with you. But I wouldn't give up on Dark Side just yet—like Exile on Main Street, it works much better as a unified statement than a collection of individual songs—great as some of those songs may also be in isolation—so that even something relatively lightweight like, say, "Any Colour You Like" has significantly more weight and merit in context.

Of course, there's also every chance you'll never like it, whether due to overexposure or just because the two of you don't quite click. :)

Well, maybe. Songs can grow on you and stuff but I often seem to find my favorites pretty early on when listening to an album, and they don't often change that much (one more might be added or I might get a little less interested in a song which was a favorite at first) as I listen to it for a longer period of time.
The songs on Dark side of the moon that I enjoyed the most on first listen were:

The Great gig in the sky
Us and them

I think it's almost always about The Song.for me; a song can definitely become even better when listened to as part of an album that gives it context or what have you, but if I don't find the song in itself to be (that) good to begin with I seldom start to think it's more than okay even if it might be a perfectly fitting piece in the context of the album it's on. Do you kinda get what I mean?

8 hours ago, stillilllife said:

I think it's almost always about The Song.for me; a song can definitely become even better when listened to as part of an album that gives it context or what have you, but if I don't find the song in itself to be (that) good to begin with I seldom start to think it's more than okay even if it might be a perfectly fitting piece in the context of the album it's on. Do you kinda get what I mean?

I think I absolutely get what you mean. My favorite songs are split about evenly between songs that I fell in love with at first hearing, and ones that grew on me--in some cases very, very slowly. So I loved the first side of Darkness on the Edge of Town the first time I heard it, but The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle took a bunch of listenings before I suddenly fell in love with it. Or to stick with Pink Floyd, I loved the three songs in the middle of Wish You Were Here, but "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" took me years to really appreciate. Sometimes it takes me several listenings to decide—or maybe understand is a better word—how I feel about a piece. I listened to The Rising several times before I was sure I liked it. (The only songs that I knew I really liked right away, oddly, were "Further On Up the Road" and "Paradise." ) But I totally understand if that's not how it works for you. 

• Like 1
On 9/21/2016 at 6:39 PM, Scott Peterson said:

If ever there was an album that was made to be listened to as an album, it'll be DSOTM. Some of the songs are brilliant on their own, but they're 100 times better when listened to in their place, along with their neighbours, so to speak. 

I LOVE it. It's what it is to be English.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Rogers playing desert trip tonight, expect some trump bashing on the big screens!   

His website is also pointing towards a new album we think , first in 20 plus years , and a new tour next year, one last hurrah I guess. 

More as we get it! 

Waters' "Us And Them" tour will start May 26, 2017, in Kansas City and end Oct. 28 in Vancouver. Tickets go on sale Oct. 21. Waters says it'll be a mix of his solo work and Pink Floyd songs, with a number of newly written tracks for an upcoming album.

Here's a complete list of his upcoming performances:

May 26, Kansas City, MO Sprint Center
May 28, Louisville, KY KFC Yum! Center
May 30, St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center
June 1, Tulsa, OK BOK Center
June 3, Denver, CO Pepsi Center
June 7, San Jose, CA SAP Center at San Jose
June 12, Sacramento, CA Golden 1 Center
June 14, Phoenix, AZ Gila River Arena
June 16, Las Vegas, NV T-Mobile Arena
June 20, Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center
June 21, Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center
June 24, Seattle, WA Tacoma Dome
July 3, Dallas, TX American Airlines Center
TBD San Antonio, TX AT&T Center
July 6, Houston, TX Toyota Center
July 11, Tampa, FL Amalie Arena
July 13, Miami, FL American Airlines Arena
July 16, Atlanta, GA Infinite Energy Center
July 18, Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum
July 20, Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena
July 22, Chicago, IL United Center
July 23, Chicago, IL United Center
July 26, St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center
August 2, Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills
August 4, Washington, DC Verizon Center
August 8, Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
August 9, Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
Sept. 7, Newark, NJ Prudential Center
Sept. 11, Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Sept. 12, Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Sept. 15, Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum
Sept. 19, Pittsburgh, PA PPG Paints Arena
Septt. 27, Boston, MA TD Garden
Sept. 28, Boston, MA TD Garden
Oct. 2, Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
Oct. 3, Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
Oct. 6, Quebec City, QC Videotron Centre
Oct. 10, Ottawa, ON Canadian Tire Centre
Oct. 16, Montreal, QC Bell Centre
TBD Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre
Oct. 24, Edmonton, AB Rogers Place
Oct. 28, Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RocknRollSue said:

Waters' "Us And Them" tour will start May 26, 2017, in Kansas City and end Oct. 28 in Vancouver. Tickets go on sale Oct. 21. Waters says it'll be a mix of his solo work and Pink Floyd songs, with a number of newly written tracks for an upcoming album.

Here's a complete list of his upcoming performances:

May 26, Kansas City, MO Sprint Center
May 28, Louisville, KY KFC Yum! Center
May 30, St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center
June 1, Tulsa, OK BOK Center
June 3, Denver, CO Pepsi Center
June 7, San Jose, CA SAP Center at San Jose
June 12, Sacramento, CA Golden 1 Center
June 14, Phoenix, AZ Gila River Arena
June 16, Las Vegas, NV T-Mobile Arena
June 20, Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center
June 21, Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center
June 24, Seattle, WA Tacoma Dome
July 3, Dallas, TX American Airlines Center
TBD San Antonio, TX AT&T Center
July 6, Houston, TX Toyota Center
July 11, Tampa, FL Amalie Arena
July 13, Miami, FL American Airlines Arena
July 16, Atlanta, GA Infinite Energy Center
July 18, Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum
July 20, Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena
July 22, Chicago, IL United Center
July 23, Chicago, IL United Center
July 26, St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center
August 2, Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills
August 4, Washington, DC Verizon Center
August 8, Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
August 9, Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
Sept. 7, Newark, NJ Prudential Center
Sept. 11, Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Sept. 12, Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Sept. 15, Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum
Sept. 19, Pittsburgh, PA PPG Paints Arena
Septt. 27, Boston, MA TD Garden
Sept. 28, Boston, MA TD Garden
Oct. 2, Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
Oct. 3, Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
Oct. 6, Quebec City, QC Videotron Centre
Oct. 10, Ottawa, ON Canadian Tire Centre
Oct. 16, Montreal, QC Bell Centre
TBD Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre
Oct. 24, Edmonton, AB Rogers Place
Oct. 28, Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena

Great news, but... "Us and them tour?" Come on Roger, release that album. We've been waiting for more than twenty years now. 

Christ Tix for Roger Waters are at $200 face value.  I'm out.  Saw him on the Wall tour and at that time I think it was the most I had ever paid for a concert.  Seems like Roger is on the leading edge of pricey tickets.  And those $200 seats are not elite golden circle things.  Basically it is nearly the entire lower level of the arena except for seats at the very rear.  

9 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Christ Tix for Roger Waters are at $200 face value.  I'm out.  Saw him on the Wall tour and at that time I think it was the most I had ever paid for a concert.  Seems like Roger is on the leading edge of pricey tickets.  And those $200 seats are not elite golden circle things.  Basically it is nearly the entire lower level of the arena except for seats at the very rear.  

I paid silly money for an advance sale ticket for The Wall. Yup, my most expensive gig ticket too ( but damn,it was good! )