Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LeoGetz

NBA Basketball Thread

Basketball must be the least discussed sport in the Lion's Den. Really nobody here who's interested? Play-Offs are around the corner!!

Second question: Will CK be able to resist the temptation to tell me how much Basketball sucks?

I'm a huge Pistons fan. I vividly remember the 2004 Playoffs and the amazing team led by Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Tayshaun Prince. Yeah, those were the times. Not being a Michael Jordan fan, I also have a huge respect for Isiah Thomas... It was the team built around him that made me a fan in the first place.

I also admire Stephen Curry. Hope the Warriors will go all the way and win the title!

I'm a huge Pistons fan. I vividly remember the 2004 Playoffs and the amazing team led by Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Tayshaun Prince. Yeah, those were the times. Not being a Michael Jordan fan, I also have a huge respect for Isiah Thomas... It was the team built around him that made me a fan in the first place.

I also admire Tim Curry. Hope the Warriors will go all the way and win the title!

The 2004 finals were the first finals I watched.

This year my money's again on the Spurs. For most part of the season they looked weak, but it seems they recovered. If they stay healthy, with Kawhi Leonard on fire, they are still the best team in the NBA. Coach Pop just knows how to get his team in shape come playoff time.

I also admire Stephen Curry. Hope the Warriors will go all the way and win the title!

This year my money's again on the Spurs. For most part of the season they looked weak, but it seems they recovered. If they stay healthy, with Kawhi Leonard on fire, they are still the best team in the NBA. Coach Pop just knows how to get his team in shape come playoff time.

They seem to be on the right track again... Don't like them, though. I'd rather see another team win the whole thing (preferably the Warriors)! ;) That said, Houston can be a serious contender. Saw their game against the Clippers the other week and they played really well. Any team with Harden is always going to be a tough hurdle to get over...

I also admire Tim Curry. Hope the Warriors will go all the way and win the title!

They seem to be on the right track again... Don't like them, though. I'd rather see another team win the whole thing (preferably the Warriors)! ;) That said, Houston can be a serious contender. Saw their game against the Clippers the other week and they played really well. Any team with Harden is always going to be a tough hurdle to get over...

I never used to like the Spurs, but last year's finals performances in games 3, 4 and 5 were just brilliant. That made me fall in love with them a little. I just prefer "team-basketball" over what so many teams do: give the ball to the star player and stand back. Houston are a contender as long as Harden is on fire. But will that be enough in a 7-game series against a top-team? Because apart from Harden, there's not much. Dwight Howard? Never rated him very high.

And how about the East? Cavaliers are a sure thing to come out of the east, aren't they?

I have found it hard to watch a complete NBA game for years.

The Warriors have caught my interest the last few years, what with my Bay Area connection and the absolute entertainment they bring to the game. I hated that they let Mark Jackson go but I cannot argue with what Steve Kerr has done.

And I agree with Leo, the Spurs play the game I want it to be played, although I cannot stand Popovich at all.

Basketball must be the least discussed sport in the Lion's Den. Really nobody here who's interested? Play-Offs are around the corner!!

Second question: Will CK be able to resist the temptation to tell me how much Basketball sucks?

I am gonna pin it...just because...

Why is that?

I could do without a few of the countless time-outs. But the good thing about watching in Europe, at least on the channel I watch, they don't bother showing commercials in the middle of the night. Instead they fill the breaks with highlights from other games or top10 moves, dunks, etc.

But when I watch a US channel stream online, I'm always amazed by the amount of fast food commercials and how disgusting the "food" looks.

I never used to like the Spurs, but last year's finals performances in games 3, 4 and 5 were just brilliant. That made me fall in love with them a little. I just prefer "team-basketball" over what so many teams do: give the ball to the star player and stand back. Houston are a contender as long as Harden is on fire. But will that be enough in a 7-game series against a top-team? Because apart from Harden, there's not much. Dwight Howard? Never rated him very high.

And how about the East? Cavaliers are a sure thing to come out of the east, aren't they?

You're right about the way the Spurs play the game... That's the key to their success. As for the Rockets, I think Harden is a game-changer. Howard is a very good player when he's on a roll. If the two of them manage to play really well at the same time, I'm sure Houston can challenge even the very best teams.

The Cavaliers seem to be a sure deal. However, if the Hawks manage to be as consistent as they've been throughout the regular season, they can make a deep run in the Playoffs... I'd also like the Bulls to make an impact... but I don't see that happening.

I'd also like the Bulls to make an impact... but I don't see that happening.

If Derrick Rose is healthy and confident, and that's a big if, they could go all the way. Because I feel they have what it takes to make an impact in the play-offs. I'm not so sure about the Hawks. Play-off basketball is different than regular season. Slower, much more physical. That should suit the Bulls.

Spurs on fire last night again. When they click as a team and key players are in shape, they're very, very difficult to stop.

I'd also like the Bulls to make an impact... but I don't see that happening.

If Derrick Rose is healthy and confident, and that's a big if, they could go all the way. Because I feel they have what it takes to make an impact in the play-offs. I'm not so sure about the Hawks. Play-off basketball is different than regular season. Slower, much more physical. That should suit the Bulls.

Spurs on fire last night again. When they click as a team and key players are in shape, they're very, very difficult to stop.

Rose has already missed 30+ games this season and has only played one game in the past two months... I'm not sure how confident a player can be when he misses this many games. But we'll see...

Can't wait!

Why is that?

Mainly because with a few exceptions the style of play has become something very unattractive to me. Just as you pointed out, the setting up isolations, etc. for one on one moves and play rather than a real team game. One reason I appreciate the Spurs, and the Warriors, is because they move the ball around.

Second reason is I just think that overall the general quality of play and talent level is not what it used to be, due largely, in my view, to the phenomenon of underclassmen coming to the league and the straight out of high school guys too.

Pistons fan here as well. I haven't read all of this thread, so I'm sorry if what I post has already been said.

It's going to be an interesting post-season for sure. With Detroit all but done, I'm hoping the Rockets or Warriors can take out the title. Damn I hate those Cavs....Lebron...don't even get me started. The Mavs are too weak and inconsistent to make a real push and I just can't see the Bulls making any real advancement. Rose is tough for fighting like he has through all of his bad luck with injuries, But I just can't see the team going beyond the conference finals. Cavs are too strong in the east.

As for the MVP race....Curry or Harden. It'd be cool if the both won it.

Damn I hate those Cavs....Lebron...don't even get me started.

I hear you!

Tonight: Spurs @ Rockets! Really looking forward! Important game for both.

The west is still quite open. From 2nd to 6th seed anything can happen.

I hear you!

The Rockets need to make a real statement going into the Playoffs. If they lose this game, it will hurt their post-season chances... They need to believe they can beat the best teams when they're playing their best. The Spurs are on a 9-game winning streak... so beating them would be a real confidence booster for the Rockets!

I hear you!

The Rockets need to make a real statement going into the Playoffs. If they lose this game, it will hurt their post-season chances... They need to believe they can beat the best teams when they're playing their best. The Spurs are on a 9-game winning streak... so beating them would be a real confidence booster for the Rockets!

The Spurs have some weird capability to turn it on when it matters- I get that they're experienced, but I was hoping age would finally catch up with Parker, Manu and Tim Duncan. We shall see though. The Rockets do need to indeed start taking that mindset- their chances however are now more slim with both D-Mo and Patrick Beverly out. If Josh Smith is going to be starting for them....haha...they can only hope he plays better then he did when starting for the Pistons. And he could, because in Detroit, Smith was playing out of position.

I'm sure one of you knows:

Portland already secured top-spot in their division, which means they'll be ranked in the top 4 of the conference, right? Currently they are 4th seed, which would make them face the 5th seed. But what if the 5th seed has a better winning record than them. Who has home court advantage?

Portland already secured top-spot in their division, which means they'll be ranked in the top 4 of the conference, right? Currently they are 4th seed, which would make them face the 5th seed. But what if the 5th seed has a better winning record than them. Who has home court advantage?

Good question. Maybe it depends on who won the season series.

Playoff Tie-Break Procedures

Teams 1 to 4 in each conference are the three division winners and the team with the next best regular-season record, with the seeding of these four teams determined by regular-season record. The playoffs seedings of Teams 5 to 8 are based upon regular-season record. Ties are broken pursuant to the rules set forth below.

Ties for playoff positions (including division winners) will be broken utilizing the criteria set forth in subparagraph a. below (in the case of ties involving two teams) and subparagraph b. below (in the case of ties involving more than two teams), and the guidelines set forth in subparagraph c. below.

a. Two Teams Tied b. More Than Two Teams Tied (1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division. (1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division. (2) Better winning percentage in games against each other. (2) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams. (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division). (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in the same division). (4) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference. (4) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference. (5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position). (5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position). (6) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position). (6) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”). (7) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).

c. Guidelines For Applying Tie-Break Criteria. The following guidelines shall be used when applying the above criteria to break ties for playoff positions:

(1) (a) Since the three division winners are guaranteed a spot in the top four, ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.

(b When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner and its playoff position, not any other playoff position(s).

(2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:

(a) Each of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tiebreak criterion (a “complete” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance, the team with the best winning percentage or point differential under the criterion will be awarded the best playoff position, the team with the next-best winning percentage or point differential will be awarded the next-best playoff position, and so on, and no further application of the tie-break criteria will be required.

~OR~

(b One or more (but not all) of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tie-break criterion (a “partial” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance: (x) any team(s) that performed better under the applicable criterion than any other team(s) will be awarded a higher playoff position than such other team(s); and (y) teams that had equivalent performance under the applicable criterion will remain tied, and such remaining tie(s) will be broken by applying, from the beginning, the criteria in subparagraph a.(1)-(6) above (for any remaining tie involving only two teams) or subparagraph b.(1)-(5) above (for any remaining tie involving more than two teams) and the guidelines set forth in this subparagraph c.

(3) If application of the criteria in subparagraph a. or b. does not result in the breaking of a tie, the playoff positions of the tied teams will be determined by a random drawing.

d. Home Court Advantage: For purposes of home court advantage, ties will be broken pursuant to the procedures used for breaking two-team ties for playoff position.

Which basically means that Portland, as a division winner, will have home court advantage regardless of whether the 5th seed has a better winning percentage...

Which basically means that Portland, as a division winner, will have home court advantage regardless of whether the 5th seed has a better winning percentage...

Does that also apply in the final? For example a Spurs vs Cavs final? Spurs have the better record but Cavs have home court advantage because they are division winners?

Spurs 104 - Rockets 103

That was quite a thriller. Not really good basketball because of all the Hack-a-Josh, but exciting all the way to the buzzer.

Tim Duncan was just amazing. Almost 39 years old and such a performance after playing 3 games in 4 nights.

Spurs now with a very good chance to finish second in the west.

Does that also apply in the final? For example a Spurs vs Cavs final? Spurs have the better record but Cavs have home court advantage because they are division winners?

Yep.

Spurs 104 - Rockets 103

That was quite a thriller. Not really good basketball because of all the Hack-a-Josh, but exciting all the way to the buzzer.

Tim Duncan was just amazing. Almost 39 years old and such a performance after playing 3 games in 4 nights.

Spurs now with a very good chance to finish second in the west.

Couldn't watch the game... But the way the Duncan - Parker - Ginobili trio plays is beyond my comprehension...

That's outrageous! Clearly a foul. And the ref just stood there looking at it...