Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potstan

2015-16 NHL Season

How come there's countless soccer threads and hockey is almost never talked about at the Lake? Well, the English folks on here probably don't even know what ice hockey is (no offense, guys!)... But still... I think the NHL should have its own thread. And with the post-season approaching, there hardly could be a better time to start one.

Well, with the defending champs out of the picture and both Pittsburgh and Boston (I know, Hero, this must be a really tough pill to swallow) in real danger of not qualifying, who do you think has the best shot at winning the Cup this year?

Being a huge Islanders fan, I'd like my team to go all the way... but as their defensive zone play is really careless at times, I don't see it happening just yet.

I think this year a team from the East might win. The Rangers have been really consistent throughout the whole season (Rick Nash has played some fantastic hockey and the entire team seems to have no weaknesses)... but it's the Canadiens that - I think - are the real favorites to win this year! Their defense is excellent and if Carey Price stays healthy, they will be the team to beat!

As far as the West goes, I'd love to see the Blues having a breakthrough year. They've been one of the most consistent teams of the past five years and would really deserve it. It will also be interesting to watch how Nashville will cope with all the expectations after having had an unexpectedly great regular season.

Well, we'll see how it turns out.

Comments? (please contribute to this thread and don't let it die ;))

It ain't over till it's over. :P

That said, I'd like to see Islanders v. Flames in the finals because I love those two teams this year and they're both underdogs.

But this is real life, so I expect Montreal to dominate the East and St. Louis, Anaheim, or Chicago from the West.

It ain't over till it's over. :P

That said, I'd like to see Islanders v. Flames in the finals because I love those two teams this year and they're both underdogs.

But this is real life, so I expect Montreal to dominate the East and St. Louis, Anaheim, or Chicago from the West.

I don't know, man. Beating the Lightning might not be an impossible task... but I just don't see the Pens losing to the Sabres... And Ottawa now leads 2-1... So I guess that's pretty much it. I like the Bruins, though, and will miss them in the Playoffs. Marchand is a fun player to watch... And Patrice Bergeron is one of the best centers in the league.

My friend at work is probably at Nassau Coliseum as we speak, A bittersweet day for her and her sister. Hope its fun. I didn't realize the Kings had missed. Amazing. Two Cups in three years and out of the playoffs.

We Islander fans were pretty fired up the first half of the season. Now I am worried about my worst nightmare....our crosstown rivals closing out the coliseum.

I'd watch it if it were on TV

From what I've seen its fast and excitting with a good touch of aggression

I know two rangers fans so I'd have to be a rangers fan

We Islander fans were pretty fired up the first half of the season. Now I am worried about my worst nightmare....our crosstown rivals closing out the coliseum.

Yeah, the first half of the season was just amazing. The problem with this Islander team is its defense. Yes, the aquisition of Boychuk and Leddy added much needed depth and experience and is one the main reasons why they've made the Playoffs... but the overall defensive game is not good enough. Too many defensive zone give-aways. Too many squandered leads (there have been at least 10 games when the Isles had the other team on the ropes and instead of calming down and focusing on maintaining the lead, they just kept rushing things and let them back in the game - the last night's game against Columbus is a perfect example of this... plus, the loss cost them home-ice advantage, which can turn out to be a pretty important factor). The majority of the players are still very young and they are likely to get better... This team has a huge potential and in 2-3 years it will be a serious contender... But that time hasn't come just yet. I'd like to be wrong, but I think the Caps will sweep them away... However, regardless of how they do in the Playoffs, we couldn't have asked for a better final season at the Coliseum.

I love NHL hockey and have seen many games live

when the stars was Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux,

Mark Messier, Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy

and many more.

Before the season I predicted that Anaheim should win

in the final against the Rangers.

I have seen 101 regular season games and 2 in the playoffs.

Most games in Boston Garden,Madison Square Garden, Nassau

Veterans Memorial Coliseum,The Spectrum and Joe Louis Arena.

Hockey is the best and by far most entertaining sport in North America.

I have been wondering a out the lack of hockey threads as well.

But at the same time I am wondering why there ar cricket threads. It has to be the most boring ass "sport" on the planet.

Go Toronto :) Someday it WILL happen :)

Hockey is the best and by far most entertaining sport in North America.

I have been wondering a out the lack of hockey threads as well.

But at the same time I am wondering why there ar cricket threads. It has to be the most boring ass "sport" on the planet.

Go Toronto :) Someday it WILL happen :)

Oh Brian I was just about to like this post till I read your last line

I read on the net some years the Danish national team play English county cricket and it made me happy

Cricket is the true beautiful game

I'm going to convert State Throoper before the next world cup !!!

I love NHL hockey and have seen many games live

when the stars was Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux,

Mark Messier, Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy

and many more.

Before the season I predicted that Anaheim should win

in the final against the Rangers.

I have seen 101 regular season games and 2 in the playoffs.

Most games in Boston Garden,Madison Square Garden, Nassau

Veterans Memorial Coliseum,The Spectrum and Joe Louis Arena.

Man, you're so lucky to have seen all those greats of the game in their prime!!!

Rangers finish with most points (113) and wins (53) in team history.

The team has has not been 100% healthy the ENTIRE season and still had the best record in the NHL with the best goal differential (+60). Game 1 vs Pittsburgh will mark the first time they have had a full 100% healthy roster the ENTIRE YEAR.

Injuries this season to Boyle, McDonagh, St. Louis, Lundqvist, and Klein. Cam Talbot was absolutely superb in place of Lundqvist while he was out. Matt Hunwick did a great job while being rotated with John Moore and then coming back up to replace Kevin Klein while he was injured. The team literally did not miss a beat despite injuries to some of their most important players.

The emergence of Kevin Hayes has been marvelous to watch. That kid is a BEAST!

The playoffs are a new season. LET'S GO RANGERS!

Rangers finish with most points (113) and wins (53) in team history.

The team has has not been 100% healthy the ENTIRE season and still had the best record in the NHL with the best goal differential (+60). Game 1 vs Pittsburgh will mark the first time they have had a full 100% healthy roster the ENTIRE YEAR.

Injuries this season to Boyle, McDonagh, St. Louis, Lundqvist, and Klein. Cam Talbot was absolutely superb in place of Lundqvist while he was out. Matt Hunwick did a great job while being rotated with John Moore and then coming back up to replace Kevin Klein while he was injured. The team literally did not miss a beat despite injuries to some of their most important players.

The emergence of Kevin Hayes has been marvelous to watch. That kid is a BEAST!

The playoffs are a new season. LET'S GO RANGERS!

Oh yes, Hayes has been spectacular. If he continues to play like that he might become one of the best power forwards in the league. I know either Forsberg or Gaudreau will most probably get the Calder... but Hayes has had a stellar rookie season!

As ridiculous as it may sound, I think Lundqvist might prove to be a weak spot in the lineup. He hasn't played with confidence and has allowed a few softies since he came back from injury... Carey Price, on the other hand, has been flawless throughout the whole season. That's why I give the edge to the Canadiens. Also, a lot will depend on whether Rick Nash is able to score on a regular basis (after having had an amazing regular season) and whether Max Pacioretty returns to the lineup...

Lundqvist was 5-2 in his return from injury...

Doesn't mean he played great, though...

All I'm saying is that right now, Price is the better of the two goalies...

I'd watch it if it were on TV

From what I've seen its fast and excitting with a good touch of aggression

I know two rangers fans so I'd have to be a rangers fan

Tomorrow your National Team starts the championship...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_IIHF_World_Championship_Division_II

My.my my who even knew that South Africa also play ice hockey ......that tournament just got interesting

Lundqvist is undoubtedly not 100% right now.

maybe so but ......if things go a rye there is always Cam plus the team is playing

killer D which should make up the difference even if he ain't ......KILLER D

and this is coming froma Devil fan an outsider looking in

Patrick Kane has been cleared to play in Game 1. His return will be a major confidence boost for the Blackhawks. With Kane back in the roster, Chicago will once again be the team to beat in the West. This is very bad news for Nashville... Both teams enter the Playoffs on a losing streak and not playing particularly well... but Kane could easily prove to be a difference-maker.

But an understandable one. Mrazek's been way more consistent than Howard over the past month...

Patrick Kane has been cleared to play in Game 1. His return will be a major confidence boost for the Blackhawks. With Kane back in the roster, Chicago will once again be the team to beat in the West. This is very bad news for Nashville... Both teams enter the Playoffs on a losing streak and not playing particularly well... but Kane could easily prove to be a difference-maker.

I think you are giving the Blackhawks too much credit here....they just aren't playing well right now and, ironically, we're playing some of their best hockey of the year after Kane got hurt (8-1-1 at one point).

They have "flipped the switch" before once the playoffs start, but dunno if they can this year.