Greasy Lake Community

Sitting on the Stoop will never be the same….

Wow. Im relativey new here but Welby did have some very articulate posts. Sorry for your loss BillyB.

Lets hope the Rangers keep doing their thing and they can give you a lift and help you heal.

If I recall correctly he was a Bruins fan - maybe Billy can help me out on that.

If I am recalling correctly I asked him about that once because he was so New York to the core and he replied something along the lines of "Bobby Fucking Orr". He may even have used Orr's full given name.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss.

I remember several of his posts from the Circuit displayed a story-telling ability of distinction. He had an ability to capture an emotion from our shared music and express it well.

• Like 2

Peace to his family and friends. He was definitely one of a kind...proof there's a merciful God. :lol: MArk was one of the people I most associate with the Lake, lyrical and aggravating and funny and a fixture. Definitely look for the squirrel story if you've never read it.

• Like 3

Very sad news. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, particularly those who knew him in the nin-virtual (aka the real) world. I've missed his internet presence since he stopped posting a few months ago. I feared the worst, but hoped for the best. Funny, irreverent, provocative, always made me think of Lester Bangs with a bit of Hunter Thompson thrown in. Can't really think of the right words, so I'll just quote WElby's beloved Hold Steady.

Forget all the feelings, remember the sessions

How way made a connection.

Godspeed MArk.

• Like 1

Every time I open this thread to read the new posts a fresh amount of tears well in my eyes. This shows how much Welby touched most of us in one way or another. I hope he is reading this right now and smiling because of how we all really think of him. See you further on up the road Mark.

• Like 3

I haven't posted here in years. Miami MArk was one of the originals when this place started during the reunion tour. We met several times over the years. Though he wasn't one for the gatherings. He was prolific for sure. When this place was forming, he was definitely one of the most pronounced and opinionated characters we had. But he always loved ( or hated ) the music and he always knew what he was talkong about. Wow. I am so saddened to hear this news

• Like 1

Thank for all the kind words.

It's hard to come to grips with this. He was sick and I knew how bad it was and where it was all going. But it hurts like hell.

So thanks for the words...it's good to know my buddy Mark made an impact on some people....even here in the cyber world.

I'll be printing all this for his family...his wife, son and 2 brothers.

Thanks

• Like 4

Wow. Im relativey new here but Welby did have some very articulate posts. Sorry for your loss BillyB.

Lets hope the Rangers keep doing their thing and they can give you a lift and help you heal.

If I recall correctly he was a Bruins fan - maybe Billy can help me out on that.

If I am recalling correctly I asked him about that once because he was so New York to the core and he replied something along the lines of "Bobby Fucking Orr". He may even have used Orr's full given name.

Yes...he was a huge Bruin fan. We had many a talks about his Bruins and my Rangers....

I am so sorry to hear this. Condolences to you, BillyB, and thank you for letting us know. Peace to you and to MArk's family and friends. MArk was one of the first people I met from Greasy Lake. We met at the famous/infamous Holiday Express show at CAA back in 2001. It was the show where Bruce was rumored to show up but he didn't and instead it was a godawful bunch of acts that were so bad it was hilarious. MArk wrote one of the his funniest posts ever after that show but he deleted it years later so it only lives on in my memory. One line I remember: "There were so many ushers and no one to ush." lol. We stayed in touch after that and I saw him at several shows through the years. He didn't like tailgates or other large fan gatherings much but he would meet for a drink with people he knew. He was shy in real life. I lost touch with him the last few years, except for a couple of emails. What a unique, funny, intelligent person he was. I read his post in the Fight Club where he said he had a terminal illness and I emailed him and told him all the good things he had given the world. I am grateful I had the chance to do that.

RIP MArk. You will be missed.

• Like 4

I think most of us here have at least one MM story. He was unique, aggravating, outrageous and outrageously funny, and cynical about everything except his family. His pride in and love for his son was, to me, the brightest thing about him--he could be rather dark, but never about him.

A big hole in the Internets tonight. A bigger hole in the hearts of those who loved him.

I'm sorry for your loss, Billy. Sincere prayers for his family. Gone way too soon.

But never think he didn't have a huge impact on everyone on the Lake. In a world full of false legends, he was a real one.

• Like 3

BillyB, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry to say I never met Mark in real life. Here on the internet, he and I butted heads pretty often. His posts were sometimes aggravating but always entertaining, and I feel as though an era has passed for us all. He singlehandedly gave this place an extra dimension. I've been searching for the right words--maybe something out of Bruce's lyrics--but failing. The best I can do is to say he added spice to the menu here. Sometimes he stung the palate, but things are going to taste quite a bit blander without him.

• Like 4

BillyB, my sincere condolences to you, his family and all that loved and knew him.

His stories are legendary. I think all that were around G/L in the beginning will always remember them with a smile in their heart and on their face.

• Like 1

I've been searching for the right words--maybe something out of Bruce's lyrics--but failing.

The one that occurs to me and seems very true is "I know you'll take comfort in knowing you've been roundly blessed and cursed."

• Like 4

Haven't been for a dip in the Lake in ages. Learned on facebook that Mark died. Had to come and offer my condolences. Remember him well. Often infuriating but made you think.

RIP Mark.

My sincere wish for peace and comfort to you, BillyB. Your beautiful post was sad and evidence that you really loved him. Thinking of you.

• Like 1

My sincere condolences to all he touched. MM~you were good even after '78.

A piece of us is gone, but not forgotten, RIP

• Like 2