BillyB

Sitting on the Stoop will never be the same….

Fuck... That's really sad. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

I enjoyed his fearlessness for saying what he thought... Consequences be damned. I'm going to miss the ornery bastard... It seemed like he had a really good heart and a lot of passion and a prickly side that could rub people up the wrong way.

May he rest in peace and find someone, wherever he is now, to debate with til the cows come home.

• Like 5

I keep opening this thread to read new tributes

And wishing that Welby being gone, was not true

• Like 5

I haven't been back here in a while.

It warms the heart to see so many names from a long time ago.

Is there any chance anyone can find the squirrel story? I think I have a lot of it saved as a movie (a tribute to the vividness of his writing) in my head.

I did not know MM, but I think he might have laughed if he knew that it was in searching for one of his posts that I found the crazy ol' ETC as it was known at the time.

Thanks, MMArk for being one of the "poets down here" who *did* write.

• Like 2

I keep coming back here. And reading. And feeling terrible. And I don’t want to make it about me.But I can't stop thinking about it.Just Saturday I was at a Preakness Party, with 2 of the guys in my wedding party. Both of them with me for the miracle of 12/31/80. Two of us 56 and one 55. Lifelong friends.

BillyB has always been, musically, my cyber brother from another mother. And yet I never knew that Welby was his lifelong friend.

I lost my dad at 21, but I have not yet felt the loss of a lifelong friend. Finding Billy’s post after a night with my oldest and dearest friends really made me think of things I didn’t want to.

I know Welby had a family, But because of the lake its BillyB I empathize with.

I come here and its 1978 or 1980 all the time. Its an escape for me. But what Billy’s living, and what Welby’s family is going through, its coming for all of us.

God, Mortality sucks.

Again, i'm sorry.

• Like 8

I think the squirrel story is gone..all the early stuff is gone, I think. Board changes? And also Miami had an irritating habit of deleting his posts.

• Like 1

That's very sad to hear, RIP MM. You were an ornery sonofabitch who was a great fun to argue with back in the day. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

• Like 1

my daughter is at university as a english literature student,

and on more than one occasion i have called her and told her to read the latest welby post.

a great storyteller

i'm going to miss his writing

• Like 1

Sad news. I am sorry for his wife and child and family and friends. Loss of a spouse and parent is very hard. That in life and on this board he was loved will be some peace and strength to them in the days, months, years ahead. RIP MM

• Like 2

Just read all the posts on this thread and don't know if I can contribute anything that hasn't already been said. I never knew he was terminally ill so this news came as a complete shock to me. Well, like many of you on here, I sometimes disagreed with what Mark had to say... but his posts always made me feel blessed for being "in the presence of something wonderful and rare". I've only been a member of this beautiful community for the past two years... but I think it's safe to say that "knowing" Welby (that's the only name I knew him by - sadly) has enriched my life. I enjoyed his stories and will miss him greatly! My condolences to you BillyB, all his friends and his family!

P.S. Knowing he was a Bruin (and especially a Bobby Orr) fan will make me miss him even more!

• Like 2

Always the smartest, funniest, and most twisted dude in the room. Rest in peace, MM. Legend

The presence of this name speaks volumes to MArk's impact on The Lake.

And some others, too. RIP.

• Like 1

Always the smartest, funniest, and most twisted dude in the room. Rest in peace, MM. Legend

The presence of this name speaks volumes to MArk's impact on The Lake.

And some others, too. RIP.

RIP MM

• Like 1

Thank you for your very nice tribute to Miami MArk, as I knew him. I remember him back in 2001 being very combative and at first I didn't understand where he was coming from. Then, over time, I began to understand his (cyber) alter ego. Some people hide their emotions at the keyboard behind a "tough-guy" image......just like Bruce did in the BITUSA days. We are a very like-minded community here comprised of very different people from all over the world. We "get" Bruce!!! Our hearts are one and will always be. One day, we'll all get on that train and if we're lucky, will meet again....further on up the road.

RIP Miami MArk

• Like 3

MArk chose to be a wise-ass here. But if you stripped away the over-the-top online persona, you’d find a core set of values – hard work, loyalty, family, etc. - that far too many people lack these days.

RIP

• Like 2

Really sad to hear this news. One of the great characters of the Lake and the only person I ever put on ignore. That didn't last long though as his posts were so compelling and entertaining I kept sneaking a peek anyway.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

The Lakes shines less brightly tonight.

• Like 1

I'm another one who probably shouldn't be writing on this thread, in fact I've been putting off it off for a couple of days but I suppose now is as good a time as any.

I am definitely of two minds about Miami MArk/Welby. When I discovered this place and started posting in here back in 2003 (end of the Rising tour), I used to enjoy MM -- he was often funny, sometimes aggravating and borderline obnoxious, but I enjoyed his posts on the whole. I left a couple of times for periods of time (6 mo.-1 yr.), and when I came back after one of those absences it seemed like MM had just disappeared. Actually I assumed he had probably finally been banned, but I didn't know.

Fast forward to about 2010-11? A new poster named Welby appeared. I liked him just about as much as Just Dan and bill Horton did -- maybe a little more, maybe a little less, I don't know. Let's put it this way -- he was the second poster I ever put on ignore. I remember mentioning in conversations with others here that I had trouble believing it was the same person. This one persona seemed so much more (insert whatever word or phrase you want here -- I know a few people will have no trouble imagining the words I use) than MM ever was. I even told him once (Welby)that he would be only the second person I ever knew of from the Lake with whom I would refuse to enjoy a beer.

Here's the kicker -- even though I had him on "ignore," I read every post he wrote. I'm one of those people he knew he could wind up, so I did it to remind myself not to respond to whatever I perceived from his post. He was very good at that.) But truth be told, I did admire his writing. I just vehemently disagreed with about 80-90% of it.

Every now and then we would send me for a loop when he would quote some lyrics from another artist that I loved (Warren Zevon's "Mohammed's Radio" springs to mind) and I would realize that he couldn't be nearly as bad a person as I imagined him to be.

Thing is, I miss Miami MArk -- I can't say I'll really miss Welby. To me they seemed like two different people. However, both of them made me think and often react emotionally at a place that I love -- so for that I thank him/them.

BillyB, I am truly sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

What a heartwarming thread and such a sad time on the lake. It is apparent that Mark had made a connection in some way with many Lakers as well as myself. I started lurking around here sometime in 1999 and I am not sure at what particular point, but I became a fan of his posts and writing. When Mark was on the lake, the lake was better. I like a lot of you would follow threads that he was heavily contributing to just for the entertainment value. I remember when the board blew up when he posted RIP Ringo when Yasser Arafat died. That thread went on for twenty pages or so. Or the very moving Christmas story at the bar down the shore. It was amazing how the words just flowed whether he was pushing your buttons or tugging at your heart strings.

If he wanted to write, he was Hemmingway, if he wanted share his love for music he was Lester Bangs, and if he wanted to push your buttons and fuck with you he was Andy Kaufman. Hell if the guy made movies the soundtracks would rival those of Martin Scorsese and Cameron Crowe. It was truly enjoyable to watch from a computer screen.

I like many on the board are one of the mignons that he turned on to The Hold Steady and that did not happen overnight over one post. It was a series of posts that conveyed the passion that he felt about this band, and that is where my connection is with Mark. I don’t think I would ever have found The Hold Steady that led me to The Drive by Truckers without reading Mark.

A little over a year ago after The Hold Steady released Teeth Dreams there was a little bit of chatter on a few threads regarding reviews and the usual that we do here on the lake. About a week later I posted a statement that I thought Teeth Dreams was their best release and elaborated on a few other thoughts I had about the record and the band. A few minutes later I saw that Mark “liked” my post, and I got a big charge from that. Here’s a guy that entertains so many people with his words over the years and he got me going without using a single word. I felt that my music opinion was validated by someone whose musical opinion I had the utmost respect for.

Well, tomorrow I am going to see Jason Isbell with Craig Finn opening. A show that I would never even know about unless I came to Greasy Lake and started reading the posts of Miami Mark/Welby. There is that connection again.

My thoughts and prayers with Marks family and friends. He will be missed.

Tomorrow at the show during Craig Finns set, I will think of you Mark, raise my glass and smile

The Lake will never be the same

• Like 5