BillyB

Sitting on the Stoop will never be the same….

:( :( When i first joined the Lake MM was one of the posters I always laughed along with or thought did he just say that
. We have lost so many nice Lakers over that time so sad to see another one joing The Band in Heaven.

I often think about OakWas and Twofaces and i hope there is a big party going on up there tonight.

• Like 2

Kay - that's insane. I had no idea you had that kind of relationship with Welby. LOL.................I thought you two were always at odds, and the only thing you agreed upon was the hookah!

That's so cool - I know he'd bring up Swiftie all the time to you, but didn't know how it started.

• Like 1

Kay - stunning writing and fascinating insight. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

This is a real shame. So sorry to hear this. We PM'd on a number of occasions, somehow finding out we were from similar locations and hung out in similar spots. However I never got to meet him in person. Even though that was the case you feel like you've met someone like him because of this community. Such a sad loss. My thoughts to his family.

• Like 1

Kay, I'd give you a big hug if my arms could reach. Beautiful.

• Like 1

Kay - that's insane. I had no idea you had that kind of relationship with Welby. LOL.................I thought you two were always at odds, and the only thing you agreed upon was the hookah!

That's so cool - I know he'd bring up Swiftie all the time to you, but didn't know how it started.

That's what made it so funny and great, I think you're one of the many who thought we were damned near enemies, more at odds with each other than friends anyway. Not even close.

I remember expressing my anxiety to him almost two years ago about an upcoming job interview and the guy walked me through step by step answers I should provide if certain questions were asked. He messaged me roughly an hour after my interview to see how it had gone and though I didn't know it then, I got the job.

• Like 4

Kay, I'd give you a big hug if my arms could reach. Beautiful.

I'd embrace it. Was reading a post by Welby on my old Counting Crows thread where he had a go at Sun Kil Moon, you should like what he had to say:

Well at least I know what I'm dealing with if you think not knowing who this Sun Kil Moon guy is musical ignorance. I looked him up and his genre of music is called "sad core" ...that made me laugh. Who the fuck Would WANT to listen to that? Is he selling mix tapes out of his station wagon?

• Like 1

I've tried to write something on this thread for days now but just haven't been able to. I sit here staring at the screen, hands on the keyboard, but nothing comes out. I've known MArk since 2001 and like Lisa, Judy, LBF, and some others, was one of my first friends on this board. We had such long crazy email conversations that would go on for days. He was my sounding board when I was having a hard time. We met just a couple of years after my husband passed away - and for some reason I felt more comfortable sharing my grief and troubles to this person online....he was always there to offer some advice, make me laugh, tell me stories to get my mind off my troubles. We only met in person three or four times....at tailgates. I remember that bottle of red JoaneFontaine mentions. He walked over to me, and placed it right in my cooler. That was at the last Shea show....

At first (and let's face it....always) it was his sense of humor. His sarcastic view of everything. His 'assholeness' that drew me to him. I loved how he loved to rile people up. Where is .belinda, anyway??

I've been beating myself up a lot over the last few days....because I kind of dropped off the face of the earth for a while....and I stopped writing back to him. He tried for a while, that's for sure. I just did a search on my gmail account and there are hundreds and hundreds of emails. Some day, I'll find the strength to go back and read them.

I've been listening to a few compilations he made for me....LMac's (that's what he called me) Going Out Mix or LMac's Sunday Morning mix.....very colorful artwork on those discs. I just hate myself for dropping out of his life the way I did.... wish'd I would've known....

One thing I've learned from this. Mend fences. Make a list of the people who you've lost contact with. Think about how you'd feel if they passed away and you didn't get to say goodbye. There was one person (after Mark) who made that list for me. We're meeting for dinner next week......

My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, son, brothers, and friends.....I'm so sorry for your (our) loss.....

That is sad. And a great life lesson unfortunately. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

BillyB I am very sorry for your loss.

Rest in Peace MM.

MM.

Peace

I've tried to write something on this thread for days now but just haven't been able to. I sit here staring at the screen, hands on the keyboard, but nothing comes out. I've known MArk since 2001 and like Lisa, Judy, LBF, and some others, was one of my first friends on this board. We had such long crazy email conversations that would go on for days. He was my sounding board when I was having a hard time. We met just a couple of years after my husband passed away - and for some reason I felt more comfortable sharing my grief and troubles to this person online....he was always there to offer some advice, make me laugh, tell me stories to get my mind off my troubles. We only met in person three or four times....at tailgates. I remember that bottle of red JoaneFontaine mentions. He walked over to me, and placed it right in my cooler. That was at the last Shea show....

At first (and let's face it....always) it was his sense of humor. His sarcastic view of everything. His 'assholeness' that drew me to him. I loved how he loved to rile people up. Where is .belinda, anyway??

I've been beating myself up a lot over the last few days....because I kind of dropped off the face of the earth for a while....and I stopped writing back to him. He tried for a while, that's for sure. I just did a search on my gmail account and there are hundreds and hundreds of emails. Some day, I'll find the strength to go back and read them.

I've been listening to a few compilations he made for me....LMac's (that's what he called me) Going Out Mix or LMac's Sunday Morning mix.....very colorful artwork on those discs. I just hate myself for dropping out of his life the way I did.... wish'd I would've known....

One thing I've learned from this. Mend fences. Make a list of the people who you've lost contact with. Think about how you'd feel if they passed away and you didn't get to say goodbye. There was one person (after Mark) who made that list for me. We're meeting for dinner next week......

My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, son, brothers, and friends.....I'm so sorry for your (our) loss.....

That is sad. And a great life lesson unfortunately. Thanks for sharing.
This is definitely the lesson I've learned over the last few days. Even when he's gone he's still capable of helping us gain understanding.
  • Like 4

Thank you again fellow Lakers.

Some really wonderful posts.

I'm sitting here...back from 1st night of the wake and I'm watching Letterman's finale. Mark and I used to watch the original 'Late Night' way back when. I remember sitting in the neighborhood watering hole late one night...me and Mark laughing our asses off the 1st time we saw Pee Wee Herman on Letterman....some of the other locals at the bar thought we were nuts. No real meaning to this story...just another memory...lol.

To the folks that Mark turned onto the Hold Steady...if your on Facebook,,,,check out the Hold Steady page. Good stuff.

Thanks again Lakers....I think we got us a good bunch of people around here.

• Like 4

I gotta ask....are all you who have dropped outta the Lake over the years, but who have respectfully popped back to pay your respects ... are you all going to stay? The Lake's a better place for having you all here. I think this thread, as dreadful as it is in it's reason for being, proves that.

• Like 5

I think that this thread is serving as a digital wake, for lack of a better term.

Just like a "real" wake or service, lots of old friends who we haven't seen in a long time are coming back to pay their respects. As in reallife, however, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to stay...as much as we may want them to. I hope they do....Some old friends have been heard from again.

As I noted earlier, that speaks to MArk's impact on the Lake.

• Like 6

I've too been putting off posting on the thread but not for the same reason as Mission Man in AZ. Myself, mainly for the reason that I haven't fully processed losing one of my longest and closest Greasy Lake friends. Welby (liked calling him that better) and I have traded barbs on music and politics for so long there's so many stories I'd like to share, but if I shared 'em all I'd be doing is what I used to tell him not to do and that is ramble on so bloody long. Don't get me wrong, there were so many times when I loved his rambling but there were also times I told him privately that sometimes less is more. I told him that coz he asked. Welby often asked me what I thought of his writing. When he would post one of his "masterpieces" (his word) and he didn't see a comment by me he would message me and with a humorous tone say that everyone had a comment for his story but me. I told him that although I was flattered he needed my validation, that I also didn't need to read every post he ever made to know his genius of the written word. One of the reasons he probably did that is because I've read a lot of his writing and poetry that has not been posted on the board; he would often send me pieces he wrote for his company's monthly newsletter or some poems that he said he never felt the need or want to post. Let me tell you, for those who don't know, the man has written some fine poetry. As soon as I saw Lisa mention that Welby has written poetry and lyrics I thought, yeah, I've been one of the lucky ones to read some of his somewhat secretive poetry.

It makes me laugh to read people say that Welby loved to rile. Makes me laugh coz although he and I were always pretty tight and I of course knew that's what he loved, he could rile me. Not when he tried to rile me personally (usually) coz Welby could never insult me if he tried. Believe you me, he tried. And tried. Especially when it came to music. One of my favorite stories about Welby and me is how every time I would post accolade after accolade concerning The Seeger Sessions Welby would come outta the woodwork and incessantly tell me that Ralph Stanley did folk music a lot better than "The Meagar Sessions." He'd never call 'em otherwise. Hell he'd pm me just to call them that and to tell me that if I loved folk music so much I should read a book on the subject. So often when I would express my regret over missing the Devils and Dust tour Welby would pop up, again, to tell me or anyone else reading that he so proudly fell asleep at his one show on the tour. What I have to tell you about The Meagar Sessions now though is the best part of the story. Sure, Welby rode my ass on that band and my love for Pete Seeger but in true style unto himself asked me one night via message if I wanted to see a pic of he and Pete Seeger together at a market, I think it was, in New York. I told him that of course I would if such a picture even existed - had to jab him that it was a little ironic he had a pic in the first place. He sent me the pic and there he was standing with 'Ol Pete grinning from ear to ear. In true style unto myself I then jabbed him for wearing a Grateful Dead hoodie. We liked to poke each other about music a lot. Can't even tell you guys how many music threads I'd start over in the EJJ forum only to have Welby make his mark by telling me that I need to get over my "flavor of the month" phase. Didn't matter which band I'd post about, he'd find something to knock about them. Usually made me smile coz I didn't always believe he meant the criticisms he was constructing. I mean he did like to embellish his tales, a lot. I'll never forget a Green Day thread we had a while back where Welby and I had a friendly war of words so to speak over Taylor Swift and I said something so stupidly vain that he wouldn't let me live it down. I was trying to make a point with respect to some ridiculous comment I thought he made and I didn't make the point well at all. I received the funniest pm him the next morning after I made the comment and we from that point on had one funny ongoing joke. That is because he never took me that seriously and knew I was having trouble sharping my wits and that I'm really not that vain. I remember after that thread and our sometimes private Taylor Swift convos him sending me a message to tell me that his son had just been asked by a girl to go see the young country star and that the apple didn't fall from the tree. I let him have that.

It's likely a bit of an understatement to state that Welby and I were politically opposed on most ends of the spectrum. Don't think it matters much and I wasn't going to bring it up but I changed my mind insofar as to illustrate that although he could seriously rile me in terms of some conversations we've had in the past, we could always get past it and have late night conversations on everything from philosophy to music to love and life and death. I think Lisa's right, don't think he slept much. Our opposing views, moreover, made me see that he respected my views (mostly) regardless of agreeing with them. When posters would go after my intelligence in the FC, Welby would sometimes either in his own way try and stick up for me on the thread or send me a message saying "Don't listen to those people Kay coz I know how smart you are." He always told me he thought I carried too much self-doubt. Dunno how true that is. Anyway, the times he thought I needed to chill over a political conversation he and I were having he'd tell me to go smoke the hookah. He also told me that if I made it to his side of the border he'd have the hookah ready and waiting. He did not but I forgave him long ago. I'll never forget too in the political forum a poster telling Welby that he was to the right of Genghis Kahn and not only did I have a hearty laugh at that, I proceeded to call him that for a long time. It never angered him. Welby could let most things bounce right off him, which was undeniably a part of his charm.

My heart sank seeing Billy's thread. I feel in a way I got to say good-bye as I sent Welby a message upon learning he was ill. I thought it might be the last message I'd be sending his way as he was more or less saying good-bye to all of us when he announced he was sick. I'm so sad we had to say good-bye but I'm so thankful we got to say it. All I can say to you now Welby is thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your support and wisdom and the laughter we shared. You were a great friend. I bid you an emotional farwell and wish to leave you with one of your favorite videos that you made me watch more than once. I know how much it means to you.

Lovely tribute, Kay.

Great clip, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Its funny how people you never met touch you so much. When Welby said he was going and not coming back, I thought it was a ploy. I loved reading his posts, loved the banter he started, and watch as he giggled when a fight would start between two side. He was truly one of a kind. I'll miss Welby (Mark), but I'm glad I got to know him just a little bit thanks to this site. Cheers my friend!

• Like 1

I, too, feel moved by the gathering taking place on this tribute thread for MArk. I think he'd be slightly embarrassed by it all, but deep inside it would touch him greatly. I can't claim to have known him well, but I did manage to meet him in person once, and we exchanged a few emails years ago. He did have a softer inner part that he didn't show in his public posts. He called me "sweetie" and remembered my birthday.

This is indeed a gathering of Lakers to honor him -- a virtual wake, yes, or a meet-up in the bar to drink a toast to one of our own. So here's to you, Miami MArk. You were an inventive and expressive writer who could evoke nostalgia, joy, anger, tears, and laughter, all in turn. And you were good at it. You were never afraid to speak your mind. I hope you knew that you had an influence on a great many people while you were with us. Even though I didn't agree with many of your political opinions, I knew there was another side to you. You earned my respect. None of us knows the journey you have taken now, but eventually we all will take it, too. I wish you well in that... I hope it is a freedom that you have found. Condolences to your family and friends, and to us all. I will miss you.
  • Like 7

I'm sitting here...back from 1st night of the wake and I'm watching Letterman's finale. Mark and I used to watch the original 'Late Night' way back when. I remember sitting in the neighborhood watering hole late one night...me and Mark laughing our asses off the 1st time we saw Pee Wee Herman on Letterman....some of the other locals at the bar thought we were nuts. No real meaning to this story...just another memory...lol.

To the folks that Mark turned onto the Hold Steady...if your on Facebook,,,,check out the Hold Steady page. Good stuff.

I saw that shout out to Mark on The Hold Steady's Facebook page. Assumed it was "our" Mark. Very cool indeed. Shows the breath of his influence.

• Like 1

I haven't posted here in years. MArk was kind enough to forward a CD or two back in the day (1999 or so) when that was the only way to get the live stuff. He's an important part of the fabric here at the Lake.

Godspeed.

I gotta ask....are all you who have dropped outta the Lake over the years, but who have respectfully popped back to pay your respects ... are you all going to stay? The Lake's a better place for having you all here. I think this thread, as dreadful as it is in it's reason for being, proves that.

I think a lot of "dropping outta the Lake" is due to the steady progress of technology and how things come into fashion and go away

25 years ago I would print photos, put them in an envelope and mail a letter to family and friends

15 years ago, the internet was reaching into most homes and discussion forums (like this one and most others) came into being. Now we could share stories and pictures with "friends" and others who shared the same interests through our computer screens

Those mailed letters became posts and Emails.

10 years ago, personal web pages became the rage, remember MySpace and now Facebook has taken that role. Now to communicate with those family/friends we just put it on our wall

Today, our smart phones and Instagram, Snapchat, ect have taken some of that traffic as now I can push a few buttons on the phone and send that picture/story to all my contacts in just a few seconds. They can text me back and we "discuss" on our phone, instead of posting on our Facebook page, Discussion Forum, ect.

I expect in another 10 years, web pages like this will have gone the way of typewriters, Fast Photo printing and fax machines and barely be used any more.

Instead of Chat rooms, we use Skype and see real faces in real time and don't worry about who is in the room with us----things change.

What doesn't change is the friendships we have developed through websites like this, some of my best friends today are people I met here 15+ years ago. No technological advances will change that, ever.

• Like 2

I saw that shout out to Mark on The Hold Steady's Facebook page. Assumed it was "our" Mark. Very cool indeed. Shows the breath of his influence.

Just went and looked. Very cool. Here it is for those without FB:

We want to extend our condolences to the family and friends of Mark, a deeply passionate fan of our band who was better known as "Bible Salesman" to those who frequented our message board. He passed away from cancer on May 17.

Mark was a vibrant personality at so many of our east coast shows and was easy to find because of his trademark yellow hat. He was an impassioned fan, and spoke frequently about how important the group was to him and his life.

We’ll never forget the time he performed his own one-man stage invasion at Irving Plaza in March 2009. That’s emblematic of the kind of guy he was.

11255494_10153621638106777_5111709933763

• Like 3