Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buddhabone

Devils and Dust Tour....ten years on

I'm in awe of the D&D tour. The music and the vibe was just incredible.

I remember going to Backstreets everyday blown away by the shows, downloading amazing recordings of shows that inspired, perplexed, and moved me.

Backstreets performed awkwardly. Cynthia. Lift Me Up. Jesus Was an Only Son. Valentines Day in Columbus. Holy Shit.

The Bullet Mic, the stomping of feet.

The stories...That crazy stage setup.

Never knowing what would be played next.

I was not impressed with the show I saw in L.A., hoped that he would come back, but he never did. In the end, what amazes me as that these shows were so organic and moving.

Play one of these shows in a dark room with headphones and dream baby dream.

Just listened to Trenton today. I only saw two shows on that tour, one at Meadowlands and this one. Trenton remains one of my favorite Springsteen shows ever.

Song For Orphans. He fucking played Song For Orphans for us.

....long live the bullet mike

My favourite Bruce tour that I have seen since 1985....

I unfortunately only managed to see one show during this tour at the Point Theatre in Dublin and I paid way over the odds for a ticket, but my God it was worth it....a truly incredible concert. Just Bruce on stage with his music..the atmosphere, all those rarely played songs being played. It helped that it was a great album he was touring behind, but for me this tour showed off Bruce at his best. The consummate songwriter and live performer.

Criminal that no official DVD of this tour was ever done.

Although the venues could hardly be called small, it all felt very intimate. I always say, it was the nearest we'd get to Bruce playing a gig in your front room.

Great album, great tour. I play so many D&D boots

One of my fav shows ( altho there's a few ) and my very favourite rendition of DAN.

Goosebumps!

The most boots I have from any given tour - gross understatement to say I love them and can't tell you how many times I've played them alone in a dark room. I know I've said this probably one too many times but I will never come to terms with my regret over missing the tour. The closest Canadian date for me was a flight so some travel time involved and was considering I was going to the school at the time I just couldn't afford neither the expense nor the time. Probably a good thing at the time I didn't belong to any fan boards. It mighta hurt to see fans rightfully rhapsodize over every show. Guess it still does. To have Bruce in that intimate setting performing Paradise among countless other gems would have been majestical and magical.

How 'bout that pump organ. And ukulele.

I agree with everything you said, Kay. Absolutely love the pump organ version of Into The Fire:

I love the piano stuff. Back In Your Arms (from Columbus I think?) is my favourite version of that song. Slow versions of Sherry Darling, Be True and Janey Dont Lose Heart. Walk Like Man with the switch from one piano to another. Great stuff

Janey is a true standout from the tour. I remember being in damned near awe upon first hearing it on one of my boots and I've always loved the song.

You know I don't have the sharpest ears with hearing piano playing talent but Bruce's own admission that he ain't great on the piano has always confused me. Sure, there's that lovely moment when he fucks up during Spirit on Barcelona but big deal, as I recall he forgot the words anyway - yet it always seems to be talked about in context of not being a very good piano player. Can anyone at the show or from the boots hear that he's not the greatest piano player? I can't. He sounds beautiful to me, with voice and with the colorful instrumentation throughout. That same colorful instrumentation just goes to show how expansive his musical talent is and is all the more impressive in terms of those outside fandom who think all he does is play the guitar and shout out rock songs.

Potstan, did you also miss the tour? Stupid summer classes, I was in a summer course and wanted to go to the Vancouver show so bad but aside from the expense I had papers up my wazoo due and my professor knew I was a huge Springsteen fan and knew that there was a show in Vancouver. Didn't think faking sick in hopes of extensions was going to cut it. If there's another solo tour I'm calling in sick if I can't get the time off coz frankly I don't give a shit. Shoulda just gone last time.

Was listening to this earlier and it is nothing short of exquisite beauty:

You know I don't have the sharpest ears with hearing piano playing talent but Bruce's own admission that he ain't great on the piano has always confused me. Sure, there's that lovely moment when he fucks up during Spirit on Barcelona but big deal, as I recall he forgot the words anyway - yet it always seems to be talked about in context of not being a very good piano player. Can anyone at the show or from the boots hear that he's not the greatest piano player?

Actually, yes, I can. I play just well enough that I can hear how not great he is. But it doesn't matter to me: I love when he plays piano and much as I love Roy's (far far far superior) playing, when Bruce plays and sings by himself, there's something just so special and oddly intimate about it.

I think his piano playing is OK...nothing great but not too bad. Of course he is no Roy Bittan or David Sancious, but Bruce wrote so many of his best songs from the piano for those two great pianists to enhance. I also love when he takes to the piano during a show, you just know you are about to get something special.

My favourite Bruce tour that I have seen since 1985....

I unfortunately only managed to see one show during this tour at the Point Theatre in Dublin and I paid way over the odds for a ticket, but my God it was worth it....a truly incredible concert. Just Bruce on stage with his music..the atmosphere, all those rarely played songs being played. It helped that it was a great album he was touring behind, but for me this tour showed off Bruce at his best. The consummate songwriter and live performer.

Criminal that no official DVD of this tour was ever done.

Bruce spoke for a little while in magazines later on that there was a Devils and Dust DVD he'd like to put out even though late.

Of course, the later it gets, the more the projects get bypassed.

Maybe with these downloads there is a chance (not sure why Bruce Inc. [for lack of a better name] does not put out HQ download mp4 files to burn to disc, for online....or if they are thinking about it at all, for any show...)

I'd love a Devils and Dust DVD and moreso a 2012 Wrecking Ball tour DVD or DVD set...or several.

Loved the Part Man, Part Monkey played on this tour.

I absolutely loved that tour...

What are the best bootlegs from that tour? I have none.

The D&D tour always has a bittersweet aftertaste for me. I was over the moon for being able to go to my first Springsteen concert, ever. (Never had the chance before). I loved the record and the concert. However, the venue was bad, I was sitting far from the stage and there was no way to get near the action, such as it was.

Most of all, though, I longed for Bruce together with the E-Street Band. This seemed just part of the artist I had been admiring since 78. I didn't know if I would ever have the chance to see him with the band in full glory. So, in true ungrateful mode in spite of what was on offer, I rejoyced and worried in turns.

Things turned out well, I'm happy to say. Beautiful concerts since, full band and solo, --- but never enough. Never enough. Here we are again, wondering, waiting, hoping.

Potstan, did you also miss the tour? Stupid summer classes, I was in a summer course and wanted to go to the Vancouver show so bad but aside from the expense I had papers up my wazoo due and my professor knew I was a huge Springsteen fan and knew that there was a show in Vancouver. Didn't think faking sick in hopes of extensions was going to cut it. If there's another solo tour I'm calling in sick if I can't get the time off coz frankly I don't give a shit. Shoulda just gone last time.

Yeah, I did. I just couldn't afford to go. It's one of my greatest regrets... I have over 50 boots from that tour and listen to them regularly. Düsseldorf is my favorite show - beautiful renditions of I Wish I Were Blind, Racing, Tougher Than The Rest, Incident, Further On... AND my favorite Joad song, Highway 29! As much as I love the mighty E Street sound, I'd mortgage my house to see Bruce with just his guitar, harmonica and piano...

I mean, how good is this:

I liked the tour well enough, despite not liking bruce on piano, or the bullet mic, or the pump organ....

That leaves the guitar, ukulele, banjo, autoharp, guitar and harmonica. More than plenty of instruments to go around for everyone.

J I'm not one to ask about the best boots per se but I'm surprised you don't have RAH.

I really should! I might hit Jungleland tonight to see if I can still download it...

I absolutely loved that tour...

What are the best bootlegs from that tour? I have none.

Dusseldorf June 16, 2005, as mentioned before-but I am not objective to this, as I was at that show. :)

Milwaukee August 7, 2005; on the Godfather bootleg Straight Into Our Hearts. With bonus tracks from Portland, Seattle and Vancouver.

Last show of the tour, Trenton November 22, 2005; on the Godfather bootleg Greetings From Trenton, NJ; with bonus tracks from the previous night in Trenton, November 21, 2005.

All Those Nights Volume 2; Crystal Cat 3cd set with the best songs/rarities from the 2005 European Tour.

That leaves the guitar, ukulele, banjo, autoharp, guitar and harmonica. More than plenty of instruments to go around for everyone.

Which is why I'd like a D&D type tour but with a very small band. Roy, Nils, some percussion

I enjoyed the tour very much, but wouldn't want that tour over and over again for many years.

Now, a stripped down Max, Roy, Nils, Garry, Jake type of band would work for me, for at least 15-20 shows or so and then I would start bitching about wanting the "full band again"

:D

Now, a stripped down Max, Roy, Nils, Garry, Jake type of band would work for me

And Charlie?