Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buddhabone

Devils and Dust Tour....ten years on

Was listening to this earlier and it is nothing short of exquisite beauty:

I really did not like this tour and that song is a great example of why.

I love the song but that damn falsetto high pitched singing and wooo'ing kills it.

There really is no need for it at all, but it seemed every bloody song had it in.

Give me harmonica, cut the song short, anything but using that to pad it out.

It grew old and annoying for me very quickly.

So much so that I sold my London ticket (3rd row seat) on the back of how much I disliked the Dublin show.

. We are sonically split Newman, it happens.

It had to happen one day. B)

On the flip side, Great Lake Swimmers are coming to Manchester in September. Another one to cross of my bucket list.

They're coming to me in a matter of days I believe. Was heavily considering going to see them as I'm down with the new and old but haven't decided yet. Doubt it will sell out. Well, ya never know. It likely will if I don't get tickets in advance and want to go show night.

You know I don't have the sharpest ears with hearing piano playing talent but Bruce's own admission that he ain't great on the piano has always confused me. Sure, there's that lovely moment when he fucks up during Spirit on Barcelona but big deal, as I recall he forgot the words anyway - yet it always seems to be talked about in context of not being a very good piano player. Can anyone at the show or from the boots hear that he's not the greatest piano player?

Actually, yes, I can. I play just well enough that I can hear how not great he is. But it doesn't matter to me: I love when he plays piano and much as I love Roy's (far far far superior) playing, when Bruce plays and sings by himself, there's something just so special and oddly intimate about it.

Ha, just listening to one of my boots and heard what I think are a couple of piano screw ups (don't the best of the best make 'em though). Not that I need note-for-note perfection but funny how I've not heard them before.

Ha, just listening to one of my boots and heard what I think are a couple of piano screw ups (don't the best of the best make 'em though).

They do indeed—Eric Clapton, drunk, famously played an entire solo in the wrong key at a concert in the 70s, an apparently excruciating experience for everyone, especially the musicians on stage (except for Clapton, obviously)—but Roy Bittan is actually famous for how rarely he screws up: I recall reading that Landau said something about how in the thousands of hours he'd recorded with the E Street Band, he'd only screwed up twice, which is just insane.

George Martin said the same thing about Ringo, incidentally—while never the most technically accomplished of drummers, he was one of the most reliable, the only one of the Beatles who virtually never made a mistake, and with an absolutely amazing sense of time.

"A few of a you might know it, those of you who know more about me than myself."

Wonderful opening words.

Although the venues could hardly be called small, it all felt very intimate. I always say, it was the nearest we'd get to Bruce playing a gig in your front room.

Great album, great tour. I play so many D&D boots

One of my fav shows ( altho there's a few ) and my very favourite rendition of DAN.

Goosebumps!

Thanks for posting

I tend to forget how much I love that song

But this just became my favorite version

Although the venues could hardly be called small, it all felt very intimate. I always say, it was the nearest we'd get to Bruce playing a gig in your front room.

Great album, great tour. I play so many D&D boots

One of my fav shows ( altho there's a few ) and my very favourite rendition of DAN.

Goosebumps!

I'm not the greatest fan of this song, but I loved listening to it here. A big regret was not seeing this tour.

Now, a stripped down Max, Roy, Nils, Garry, Jake type of band would work for me

And Charlie?

No, not really. I appreciate what Charlie adds, but I think one keyboard player (Roy) is plenty for the type of show I dream about.

Love Steve too, but Nils is more versatile and ( I believe ) a more skilled guitarist. Have to have the Sax for many of the songs, but don't need a brass band.

Think bar band, rough and raw and tight enough as a group to take on Bruce's huge body of music.

A great tour and one of my favourites.

Not a huge fan of the electric piano or ukulele but it produced some amazing performances. Warmer and more accessible than the Joad tour (which I also loved) a few stand outs that spring to mind are his renditions of Nothing Man, State Trooper, Racing In The Street, Be True and Back In Your Arms.

Not a fan of Dream Baby Dream as an album track but it was great as a closer to those shows.

Occasionally he'd pull out a rarity that sounded like he'd not even rehearsed it or knew how it should go (Something In The Night for example) but that was part of its charm.

Only other point I'd make is that the version of I'm On Fire with a banjo and whistling should be wrapped in a blanket, doused in petrol and then set alight. I'd suggest hitting it repeatedly with a shovel and reversing over it in a truck just as an added precaution.

I love the banjo I'm on fire

But then I think the sound of his toe nail clippings put to music would be an instant classic

But I only like banjo when either Bruce or Kermit the frog plays it

No, not really. I appreciate what Charlie adds, but I think one keyboard player (Roy) is plenty for the type of show I dream about.

Love Steve too, but Nils is more versatile and ( I believe ) a more skilled guitarist. Have to have the Sax for many of the songs, but don't need a brass band.

Think bar band, rough and raw and tight enough as a group to take on Bruce's huge body of music.

I agree, but I'd strip it down further: just Roy, Garry and Max as the backing band. No other guitarists or keyboardists or vocalists. Just the four of them—I think going back to bar band basics would open up and strip away all but the bare essentials and actually free him up considerably, in a way totally opposite the way I know he likes being free right now. (By having so many great players on stage currently, that even if only a third of them really know the song in question, there's still a full band right there, and the others are all good enough to learn it on the fly.)

I'm way in favor of a stripped down band but I'd like to see bass, drums and two guitars. But that's my favorite band combo anyway. But just Roy, Garry and Max would be cool also. I just don't want any more horn sections of barrage of backup singers. Garage band it man!

Not a fan of Dream Baby Dream as an album track but it was great as a closer to those shows.

I'd take it a step further and say Dream Baby Dream is one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever heard from Bruce. Probably not a popular opinion around here.

I'm way in favor of a stripped down band but I'd like to see bass, drums and two guitars. But that's my favorite band combo anyway.

Mine too, but I'm not sure I see Bruce ever again going for a band sans keyboards. He's built his bands around it since before his debut album, too many of his songs are composed not just on but for or at least with keyboards in mind and are built around them, and even on his latest solo tour, he played a significant percentage of his songs on the keyboards, despite his relative lack of proficiency.

Strip it down even further.

Let's go for a power trio

Bruce, Gary and ....

Woops we don't have a ginger baker

My favorite band is magic era but I also like the WOAD line up

I'm.not sure how a darkness album show would work without a sax player so Jake and also Charlie stay

Mine too, but I'm not sure I see Bruce ever again going for a band sans keyboards. He's built his bands around it since before his debut album, too many of his songs are composed not just on but for or at least with keyboards in mind and are built around them, and even on his latest solo tour, he played a significant percentage of his songs on the keyboards, despite his relative lack of proficiency.

If someone knew nothing of Bruce and was suddenly exposed to a bunch of his music it would be reasonable for them to think he was the main keyboard player. Sometimes guitar seems an afterthought. I have always wished he would have guitared up the arrangements more. But I'm a guitar player so I'm biased.

I'd take it a step further and say Dream Baby Dream is one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever heard from Bruce. Probably not a popular opinion around here.
I love dream baby dream

It was great it got a proper release on HH

That video we got at Christmas was fantastic after the WB tour

Definatly Bruce bump provoking material

Love the pump organ

Although sadly I had no idea what it or a Hammond B3 organ looks like up close because I got way too prematurly excited thinking we were going to get DBD and it was just Charlie's work bench

As a failed student of the piano I love keyboards in the band

And I love when Bruce takes a risk and sits down at the piano

I agree, but I'd strip it down further: just Roy, Garry and Max as the backing band. No other guitarists or keyboardists or vocalists. Just the four of them—I think going back to bar band basics would open up and strip away all but the bare essentials and actually free him up considerably, in a way totally opposite the way I know he likes being free right now. (By having so many great players on stage currently, that even if only a third of them really know the song in question, there's still a full band right there, and the others are all good enough to learn it on the fly.)

I think you would miss Nils and his ability to "fill in" the sound as he plays rhythm and lets Bruce play the leads.

To me, a Bass is necessary in a band and Bruce's music doesn't sound like Bruce without a sax, so I have to add Jake and Garry

We have seen Bruce "solo" on two tours already, but never with a small backing band of 4-5 players. The last few tours it's practically been an orchestra up there, and I would like him to roll it back the other way.

Your version with piano, bass and drums isn't a bad idea though, I would like to see that as well