Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buddhabone

Devils and Dust Tour....ten years on

D&D tour. Best tour ever. Period.

Re-previous posts about smaller band-was there not the idea for the D & D tour to go out as a trio? Just Bruce, bass and drums.(but not Garry and Max but others).

And for band in support of a semi-acoustic (or completely acoustic) album: what about just Bruce, Nils, Roy and Soozie (for the violin of course, but for sure also for the (backing) vocals.). Thoughts?

Not a fan of Dream Baby Dream as an album track but it was great as a closer to those shows.

I'd take it a step further and say Dream Baby Dream is one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever heard from Bruce. Probably not a popular opinion around here.

Thank you. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who hates that crap

Re-previous posts about smaller band-was there not the idea for the D & D tour to go out as a trio? Just Bruce, bass and drums.(but not Garry and Max but others).

And for band in support of a semi-acoustic (or completely acoustic) album: what about just Bruce, Nils, Roy and Soozie (for the violin of course, but for sure also for the (backing) vocals.). Thoughts?

I like less. No Soozie because then they'll be forcing too much violin. Roy, Garry, Nils and a drummer/perucssionist

I'd love to see Bruce, Nils, Soozie, Max and Roy.

I know how important Steve is and would agree that in days gone by his vocals have perfectly suited Bruces.

However, in recent years his voice has become, at times, ludicrous. I was watching "No Surrender" from the HH bonus disc the other day and his "harmonizing" sounded like the sort of vocal approximations you'd hear if you handed a microphone to someone recently discovered in the woods having been raised from birth by wolves.

In a small band setting I think it could be painful. Was listening to an old video of him singing "Inside Of Me" the other day and he sounded great.

And Garry! How could I forget the bass man!

I know how important Steve is and would agree that in days gone by his vocals have perfectly suited Bruces.

However, in recent years his voice has become, at times, ludicrous. I was watching "No Surrender" from the HH bonus disc the other day and his "harmonizing" sounded like the sort of vocal approximations you'd hear if you handed a microphone to someone recently discovered in the woods having been raised from birth by wolves.

In a small band setting I think it could be painful. Was listening to an old video of him singing "Inside Of Me" the other day and he sounded great.

Yeah, I gotta mostly agree. In terms of Bruce's career I think Steve was/is the consummate sideman and his solo stuff is top drawer. I love, love his earlier vocal stylings solo and coupled with Bruce's but there's been times over the last few years that his "harmonizing" has pierced my ears in a what the fuck kinda way. I thought he sounded better overall however last tour than the tour prior and I still think he sounds so soulful and so sublime on Long Walk Home. Gawd I love him on that tune.

Yeah, I gotta mostly agree. In terms of Bruce's career I think Steve was/is the consummate sideman and his solo stuff is top drawer. I love, love his earlier vocal stylings solo and coupled with Bruce's but there's been times over the last few years that his "harmonizing" has pierced my ears in a what the fuck kinda way. I thought he sounded better overall however last tour than the tour prior and I still think he sounds so soulful and so sublime on Long Walk Home. Gawd I love him on that tune.

That SVZ vocal was a highlight of the tour I thought.

While he doesn't bring the soul Steve does, Nils doesn't sound too shabby on that tune either. Was listening to my Magic boot from Montreal last night and thought he sounded great.

Went for a run with the headphones on today and listened to Steve on Prove It All Night from LINYC. Was reminded of just how incredible his vocals are on that.

At my former workplace a colleague who is about 15 years younger than me and a total music nut was always giving me the gears about that "old man Springsteen". "Is he still around?', he'd ask sarcastically. It was funny too because he admitted he loved Nebraska and was in his early 20's when BITUSA came out and he was totally into it. But I guess as the years went by and he got into other genres, Bruce became passé for him. So when the D&D tour came to Vancouver I got a pair of tickets and offered him one. He started razzing me as usual but I managed to convince him to come along. Through the course of the show I noticed that his eyes never left the stage and his applause kept increasing in length and volume. After the show ended and we were walking to the car, he didn't say a word for 3 or 4 minutes. Then while waiting at a red light to cross a street he looked over and said, "I don't fucking believe what I just saw". I thought that was about the best comment I could ever hear about Bruce considering who it came from. He's been in the Bruce camp ever since.

Great, that story in context of the Vancouver show. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Sorta kidding. Nice story nonetheless.

I loved the D & D tour....I saw five of those shows and they were all amazing...You never knew what musical instrument or song Bruce was going to pull out next.

D&D tour. Best tour ever. Period.

No, you know what they say: "EVERYTHING was better in 1978!' :D:D:D

But Devils And Dust Tour was one of the best tours I saw, together with TOL Tour and Magic Tour. And this despite the fact that Devils And Dust is my least favourite Bruce Springsteen album.

And even the 'worst' show I saw, in 1993, was a good and very enjoyable show-hey, it's a Bruce Springsteen show after all. :)