Greasy Lake Community

Albums You've Listened To Today

Segue Myles

Ben Howard - Noonday Dream

Took a while to sink in but I freaking love this album! Very chill... It has gotten under my skin in a big way. 

I was fortunate enough to see WZ several times with his band, and also several times solo acoustic at the old Bottom Line (with Jorge Calderon sitting in on some songs). While the full band in a dance hall is pure energy, WZ in a small club by himself was quite special.

220px-Excitable_Boy_cover.jpg

• Like 7

Linda Ronstadt, Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind, 1989

With four of the 12 songs written by Jimmy Webb, and three more by Karla Bonoff, you just knew how good this could be. Add to that the special voice of Aaron Neville and you have magic! Check out the personnel who played.

I got to see "Miss Linda" with the Neville Bros. at the Universal Amphitheater in LA in October 1990 (sample setlist), the only time I got to see her live. She had broken a foot, and was in a walking boot but essentially confined on stage to a stool. That didn't affect her voice, or the vocal chemistry with Aaron. He was just so sweet to her, and so grateful for the boost she gave him with this record.

People got a good chuckle at my wedding when we chose Don't Know Much as a special song :) 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JimCT said:

Linda Ronstadt, Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind, 1989

With four of the 12 songs written by Jimmy Webb, and three more by Karla Bonoff, you just knew how good this could be. Add to that the special voice of Aaron Neville and you have magic! Check out the personnel who played.

I got to see "Miss Linda" with the Neville Bros. at the Universal Amphitheater in LA in October 1990 (sample setlist), the only time I got to see her live. She had broken a foot, and was in a walking boot but essentially confined on stage to a stool. That didn't affect her voice, or the vocal chemistry with Aaron. He was just so sweet to her, and so grateful for the boost she gave him with this record.

People got a good chuckle at my wedding when we chose Don't Know Much as a special song :) 

Great album, great voices. I always remember an episode of The Wonder Years where Kevin's math teacher passes away and they used Goodbye my Friend at the end of the episode. Heart wrenching. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J said:

New discovery for me this morning... Been listening to these two albums most of the day, bloody amazing! 

220px-Obadiah_album.jpg

R-6375963-1419132878-5890.jpeg.jpg

Purchased Indian Ocean after hearing the track, Done. Could have been someone on here posted (Kay maybe), anyway enjoyed her vibe. Nothing since though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merlin said:

Purchased Indian Ocean after hearing the track, Done. Could have been someone on here posted (Kay maybe), anyway enjoyed her vibe. Nothing since though.

There are 2 "singles" (as in single songs) on Deezer... One from 2017 and one from last year. But yeah... That's it. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:22 AM, JimCT said:

I was fortunate enough to see WZ several times with his band, and also several times solo acoustic at the old Bottom Line (with Jorge Calderon sitting in on some songs). While the full band in a dance hall is pure energy, WZ in a small club by himself was quite special.

220px-Excitable_Boy_cover.jpg

Saw Zevon just once, in 1987 at the Boathouse in  Norfolk,  VA, but it was pretty cool. There were only a few hundred people there and I was at the front of the stage. My memory may be failing me but I think the backing band were the guys from REM.

• Like 1