Segue Myles

Albums You've Listened To Today

2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Oh I love The Clash! Don't get me wrong!

I just had to mention SLF though. (They're up there with them for me) (Another punk band I love but didn't mention is the Avengers too, who sadly are misunderstood by some over one song)

I saw them first on their Flags and Emblems tour, in March of 1992 (I think it was March 22nd). They had Paul Weller on bass at the time -

and - I have a t-shirt from that tour - they played four cities in the U.S.! ha ha

so thankfully they came to San Francisco, went with a couple friends.

That's great you saw them in the late '80s.

I saw them a total of three times - 1992 (the highlight for me was Stand Up And Shout), 2010, and then in 2015 (the highlight - an incredible Doesn't Make It All Right, with Jake holding that one note way longer than on any other version I've seen, including the Blu-ray of Best Served Loud [which plays on U.S. players despite what Amazon wrote; region A is U.S. of course!] Also I loved Guilty As Sin, great intro too. And My Dark Places, where Jake spoke about depression in a way that moved me to tears. (BTW, Best Served Live, from the Barrowlands, is a really great concert Blu-ray and DVD; I only wish I could hear how insanely loud the crowd supposedly was there!)

God I love that band. I know their last really great album was Go For It but I like lots of songs since then - oh! they did Harp in 2015 when I saw them. Outstanding. I always loved that song. (I love so many songs by them...Listen, The Only One, those are a couple of my total favorites by them)

Edit: I have 30 CDs by Stiff Little Fingers (according to my count right now - this includes 4 remasters and 3 CD singles). I'm a fan alright! :)

Another edit: When I first heard them, it was via a video on Vidoewest, TV program (not Videowest Backstage Pass, which came later). It was a video of Alternative Ulster, with lyrics shown on the screen during part of it - a promo I have NEVER seen since, anywhere. Anyway it...was the greatest thing I had heard in my life.

Later when I did find some albums by them - Nobody's Heroes, Hanx! and Go For It - at the age of about...14? I bought all three, with my best friend at Tower, we went to his house put them on the turntable and once again, with the remake of Roots, Radicals and Rockers, I heard again one of the most thrilling, exciting things I had ever heard! Hearing Roots, Radicals and Rockers for the first time...

what a great, great moment...

I didn't have all their albums--in fact, just Nobody's Heroes and a best of.  LOVE Doesn't Make it All Right.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skin2Skin said:

I didn't have all their albums--in fact, just Nobody's Heroes and a best of.  LOVE Doesn't Make it All Right.

Yeah he stole that from - he introduced it on the No Going Back tour as how he was friends with the Specials and how he stole the song from them!

SLF released theirs first, I didn't know that all these years.

(Another song on either that album or another - I forget - is about the friendship he had with Phil Lynott)

Ah I recommend strongly, to get Hanx! a perfect live representative of their first couple albums (vocals much less rough than on Inflammable Material, and an incredible remake of Bob Marley's Johnny Was) and Go For It, (which is probably my favorite now). Then later, if the best of you have is not All The Best, to get that and then Inflammable Material (which is most people's favorites, though mine for ages was Nobody's Heroes - Gotta Getaway is the greatest when you're young, and God, I love the song Nobody's Hero - "you think you're nobody/and I have all the fun/but no-one is a nobody/everyone is someone." and the refrain at the end.,..."Be what you are...be what you are...get up! Be what you are..." Beautiful - and ironically, completely heroic!

• Like 1

Yes, I love that song, and Gotta Getaway. And Johnny Was. Their covers are so intense. 

• Love Love Love! 1

I listened to this tonight before disc 2 of the Dylan set, and submitted the new box set on Discogs just within the last hour... as I went right back and corrected one thing, there was one person adding the set to the collection! It was shocking, as it was so instant.

Anyway I enjoyed disc 2 more than disc 1, and this before, well this is a classic of course:

R-1796633-1517747682-1988.png.jpg

The DCC CD version. I love this album. I don't which album of Bob's is my favorite; this or Freewheelin'. (his early acoustic period, esp. starting from 1963, is my VERY favorite period of his music. But anyway I totally love this album)

• Like 5

th?id=OIP.MRnsJLKEy48ouUCscjeNuQHaHa&pid

I still think it's one of the best power pop records of the 80s. A great debut.

• Like 6

bs751018_01.jpg?sw=450&sh=450&sm=cut

Still the best Thunder Road ever! His voice... so great!! Love this show. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, J said:

bs751018_01.jpg?sw=450&sh=450&sm=cut

Still the best Thunder Road ever! His voice... so great!! Love this show. 

Forgot how incredibly awesome the Sandy on this one is as well!! 

34 minutes ago, J said:

Forgot how incredibly awesome the Sandy on this one is as well!! 

And one final thing!! (I know I keep quoting myself, but screw it...)

Bruce vocals on Jungleland after the sax solo..... woooooooooooooooooooow!

On 6/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, soulcrusader78 said:

Oh yes, their version of Johnny Was is intense. and Roots....Jake Burns is a hero to me; and the fact that he doesn't view himself that way, makes him all that more admirable to me...(like when he spoke candidly of depression he had went through, onstage, the last time I saw him, when introducing My Dark Places)

Just now, I just turned someone onto the song Harp and he wrote that it was completely amazing and hie new favorite song!! I was stunned! I was overjoyed in a way I can't describe, that means SO much to me....

I love when I do that, if I'm able to turn someone onto ANY great song, it just...I feel I've served a purpose. And spread the word...

I don't mean to be tooting my own horn and I guess I was about to in a different manner on here, but...and the...the song, and a band like Stiff Little Fingers, means so much to me...

like when you turn someone onto a Springsteen song, if THEY have that kind of reaction....ah I'm probably wording this so poorly....

I wish I had been a DJ...serve a purpose in my life....

I love music so much (ask Daisey Jeep...)

Peace!

Edit: My favorite part of their version of Roots is the way he sings...
"so comfort the afflicted/and keep them from harm/let aged/be protected/and the infants be strong/ GO FOR IT!" :)

you might still be able.to be a DJ

i bet there are community stations i.could cut your teeth on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

patbenatar-intheheatofthenight(13).jpg

• Like 2

41SmFiLGQeL._SY355_.jpg

She's my newest passion. Got to see her live last week, touring behind her new album (Mint Condition).

If you like Patti Scialfa, Shawn Colvin, Sheryl Crow . . . check her out. I like this album even more than the new one.

• Like 1

All night long.

513t5w2yg9u21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1