Greasy Lake Community

Albums You've Listened To Today

Segue Myles

wil720.jpg

As a 'best of' this really takes some beating.

Wilco are right up there in my favourite artists of all time and have been for the last 15 years or so.

For that reason I didnt bother with this set upon release but listening to it now as a collective it blows me away what a great collection of songs this is and how good they sound compiled in one set.

• Like 1

Wilco are right up there in my favourite artists of all time and have been for the last 15 years or so.

For that reason I didnt bother with this set upon release but listening to it now as a collective it blows me away what a great collection of songs this is and how good they sound compiled in one set.

Great band indeed! This is one hell of an album:

• Like 2

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy (1985) is turning 30 years old this year. Since the release of Psychocandy, countless aspiring alternative garage bands have reinvented, borrowed and downright stolen from this important record. It's a further testament to Psychocandy that it still sounds so fresh in it's own right.

psychocandy.jpg

• Like 1

AC/DC - Back In Black (1980)

I pulled this "classic" out of my vinyl collection today because I needed to "rock out" and nothing fits the bill like AC/DC. Back In Black is without a doubt a "timeless" record. I know plenty of kids in their teens 35 years after it was released discovering this "legendary album" for the first time.....and being blown away. The hard rock blues based grooves and head banging back beat hook the listener in immediately. As far as worldwide sales go, Back In Black is an unprecedented success and is the second highest selling album in history behind the Michael Jackson behemoth Thriller.

Considering that Back In Black is essentially the "biggest hard rock album ever", a lot of credit should also be given to Robert John "Mutt" Lange who many years before the cheesy Shania Twain and Bryan Adams love ballads actually was behind some of the most significant rock albums of the 80's. Lange is such a perfectionist that he is adept at bringing the very best out of every act or singer he works with. Love him or hate him, Robert John "Mutt" Lange deserves to be among the most iconic and well respected producers in music history.

Most critics however love to complain about Back In Black , they call it "ridiculously juvenile, derivative, single-minded about sex and booze, a big cartoon......essentially music for neanderthals. However, sometimes loud and crunchy, no-hold-barred rock and roll it just makes good, good sense.

B000002JS6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Like 4

Tigerlily.jpg

Natalie Merchant is probably my all time favourite singer and with the 20th anniversary and re-recording of Tigerlilly coming up (called Paradise Is There), I have gone back to this for the first time in a good while.

It still sounds so damn good and My Beloved Wife still knocks a hole in my heart the same way it did 20 years ago.

• Like 3

AC/DC - Highway To Hell (1979)

........continuing on........this is the album that broke AC/DC to the world and they did it with "Mutt" Lange's help. I love this album largely because it's the last we got to hear of Bon Scott who's unique and soulful voice really shaped AC/DC Part I. Highway To Hell is the record I reach for the most when choosing AC/DC and that's just because I haven't overdosed on it like I did in my teen years with Back In Black.

R.IP. Bon Scott you are missed.

highway_to_hell-large.jpg

• Like 2

Yesterday and today:

U2-The Unforgettable Fire-the greatest and best U2 album! (which may not be a popular opinion among U2 fans, as The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are generally considered U2's masterpieces). In fact one of my favourite albums of all time. A very beautiful album, too.

Bob Dylan-Planet Waves-a great and very enjoyable album. Underrated? At least often overlooked when it comes to the lists of Bob's best work, which is usual something like: 60s albums from Freewheelin' until John Wesley Harding-Blood On the Tracks-Desire-Oh Mercy-Time Out Of Mind-Modern Times.

John Cougar Mellencamp-The Lonesome Jubilee.

Led Zeppelin-Houses Of The Holy.

• Like 2