Greasy Lake Community

Albums You've Listened To Today

U2 - Zooropa (1993) is a brilliant and disruptive album for U2. Back in 93, Zooropa subverted every expectation that we had. The worlds most serious rock band released an album full of advertising parodies, Prince imitations, girl group tributes, Johnny Cash taking over on vocals and even a straightforward love song. The results are not always fully satisfying, but if you keep in mind that U2 were recording Zooropa in the middle of their ambitious ZooTV Tour you get a sense that U2 are indulging their unexpected side of being one of the worlds most celebrated musical acts.

This Spin article about Zooropa is well worth your time. http://www.spin.com/2013/07/u2-zooropa-20th-anniversary-1993/

600.jpg

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I'm listening to the greatest album ever made..

Posted Images

I'm totally addicted to the Nathaniel Rateliff album... can't get enough of it!

Have you checked out his solo stuff yet?

No, not yet... I'm planning on buying the albums next month, I ODed a bit on CDs this month... so need to wait til payday.

No, not yet... I'm planning on buying the albums next month, I ODed a bit on CDs this month... so need to wait til payday.

You won't be disappointed! You still buy CDs? Great, thought I was the only one!

• Like 1

You won't be disappointed! You still buy CDs? Great, thought I was the only one!

i do! Especially by artists who are not mega-superstars... I like to support the struggling artists... and I like owning albums that I really love!

• Like 3

You Are Not Alone

Ray Charles - The Genius Of Ray Charles (1959)

1959 was a watershed year of definitive jazz, soul and r&b albums and The Genius Of Ray Charles fits right into that list nicely. The first side is up-tempo big band standards while side two focuses more on introspective material. The album closer Come Rain Or Come Shine would rank among Ray's finest cover songs he's ever recorded.

51ck4qgqPfL.jpg

• Like 1

You Are Not Alone

So it's not just vinyl? Cool! :D

• Like 1

i do! Especially by artists who are not mega-superstars... I like to support the struggling artists... and I like owning albums that I really love!

Same here.

An afternoon with Bobby seems to be a frequent occurrence for you Potstan. Big Dylan fan you are.

No one comes even remotely close to Dylan in my book. Not even Bruce. I mean, I can go weeks (hell, even months) without listening to Bruce (actually, I haven't listened to Bruce in more than two months now), but Dylan is why I started to play guitar, Blood On The Tracks is my all time favorite album, no one has written as many true masterpieces as Dylan... The guy's a genius!

• Like 1

An afternoon with Bobby seems to be a frequent occurrence for you Potstan. Big Dylan fan you are.

No one comes even remotely close to Dylan in my book. Not even Bruce. I mean, I can go weeks (hell, even months) without listening to Bruce (actually, I haven't listened to Bruce in more than two months now), but Dylan is why I started to play guitar, Blood On The Tracks is my all time favorite album, no one has written as many true masterpieces as Dylan... The guy's a genius!

Agreed. But I listen to hard rock and Bruce much more than Bob as I prefer the Plugged In sound.

Black Flag - Damaged (1981)

Black Flag's skinhead look and hardcore sound signaled a new chapter in punk and rock in general. Henry Rollins's venom-dripping vocals lead the way for fast paced rockers like Rise Above, Six Pack and of course Life Of Pain.

11904741183_f1ba1c7d56_o.png

• Like 2