Greasy Lake Community

Albums You've Listened To Today

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I'm listening to the greatest album ever made..

Posted Images

Chris Cornell's new album... It's excellent!!! I'm a big Soundgarden fan and love his harder stuff but that doesn't make me enjoy these acoustic-based songs any less... Chris is a great musician and if this is the path he wants to take, then I'm alright with it.

glcvhxhi.jpg

• Like 2

Glen Hansard - Didn't He Ramble (just released today)

glen-hansard.png?w=789

It's bloody good!

imho

(disclaimer: I do have a bit of a mancrush on Glen... so I may be biased)

You were right, J, it's brilliant!!!

I was hoping it wasn't a "first listen excitement" post I'd made there... but I listened to it a lot over the weekend and this morning... and... DAMN I love this album.

One virtual spin in and I am completely blown away by this:

Ryan-Adams-1989-560x560.jpg

My views on Ryan Adams have been spoken about on here many times before but to summarize, I used to be obsessed with him but since February 2006 I have completely boycotted his live shows and only took a passing interest in his music.

This however is ridiculously good.

Apparently it is covers, however I am not sure I know any of the originals.

The boycott could crumble...

My views on Ryan Adams have been spoken about on here many times before but to summarize, I used to be obsessed with him but since February 2006 I have completely boycotted his live shows and only took a passing interest in his music.

It's a track-by-track cover of Taylor Swift's album.

No way!! I honestly had no clue.

Still, it works for me.

No way!! I honestly had no clue.

Still, it works for me.

Oh yeah, it's not bad at all.

1989 eh? Ryan must be taking the piss at Taylor Swift with that title. If this is a covers album then I'm not interested.

Ryan Adams is so hard-up to save his spiraling career that he takes a stab at Taylor Swift covers :rolleyes: , and not just that but an entire album track-by-track. Mr. Adams you have officially "jumped the shark" with this bonehead move. Pathetic!

http://fortune.com/2015/09/21/taylor-swift-ryan-adams-1989/

Ryan Adams is so hard-up to save his spiraling career that he takes a stab at Taylor Swift covers :rolleyes: , and not just that but an entire album track-by-track. Mr. Adams you have officially "jumped the shark" with this bonehead move. Pathetic!

I would have had exactly the same view as you also, however I listened to this without any awareness of who's songs they were.

I honestly thought it was a brand new record of originals.

I feel the songs are brilliant and he does them so damn well, it really is a great record and the first RA record I have loved in a very long time.

As George Michael once said:

hqdefault.jpg

I would have had exactly the same view as you also, however I listened to this without any awareness of who's songs they were.

I honestly thought it was a brand new record of originals.

I feel the songs are brilliant and he does them so damn well, it really is a great record and the first RA record I have loved in a very long time.

As George Michael once said:

hqdefault.jpg

:lol: You lost me at George Michael :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Might be a stupid question but why the boycott?

Not stupid, I just didnt want to bore eveyone with my RA ranting once more, but as you asked:

Including Whiskeytown (who I saw twice) I think I am saw RA about 15 times.

They ranged from phenomenal to really good to odd to dull to pathetic to diabolical, mostly getting worse as the years moved on and the drugs got better (or is it worse).

The very best of the lot was a solo gig in Manchester just prior to Gold being released, to this day that is a top 5 gig of all time for me, by anyone. It was simply amazing.

The decline then gradually kicked in then and the final straw was in 2006 when I presume at the height of his wild days he played the worst gig I have ever seen by anyone. It was at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. I only lasted for about 40 minutes before walking out. Words cannot describe how bad it was.

However this guy had a go:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music/ryan-adams--bridgewater-hall-1021193

It was then that I decided to boycott ever seeing him live again.

I still love his music, although he is often hit and miss.

Strangers Almanac is my #1 album of the 1990's but despite how many times I hear that he is a changed character I have refused to let him disappoint me again.

But this could be a game changer.