Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buddhabone

4/23/1988 L.A. Sports Arena Released

This set ...reminds me so much of the 78 tour. Stunning.

Wow. I find that stunning.

Adam back in the set. She's the One. The guitar playing. Raise Your Hand. Tight structure.

Reminds me of it too.

Adam back in the set. She's the One. The guitar playing. Raise Your Hand. Tight structure.

Reminds me of it too.

OK but I could list a lot of differences as well. Maybe not "stunning" ones but still.

Reminds me of it too.

OK but I could list a lot of differences as well. Maybe not "stunning" ones but still.

You mean, like, songs that were written after '78?

Well, I've now had a chance to listen to the second set. Fantastic.

The great thing about this show, I'm not sure whether its due to the well constructed set or the song performances or both, but I haven't once missed not hearing the warhorses. Not just the Bruce 101 stuff like TR, Promised land and Badlands but the second tier live fallbacks like Prove It and Spirit. Amazing to be able to park your strongest live songs in the garage and still run such an amazing race.

Infact, I would've preferred a show with Walk Like A Man (my fave TOL trac) ahead of Backstreets, although this Christmas jingle bell sounding arrangement (Miracle On Back Street?) blends in ok with the rest of the show. Mind you, if he had to break out one of the older tracks in these shows (and an older epic at that) I think Incident would've fit better musically and thematically in this slot.

Infact, I would've preferred a show with Walk Like A Man (my fave TOL trac) ahead of Backstreets, although this Christmas jingle bell sounding arrangement (Miracle On Back Street?) blends in ok with the rest of the show. Mind you, if he had to break out one of the older tracks in these shows (and an older epic at that) I think Incident would've fit better musically and thematically in this slot.

The reason Backstreets was added to the set, a few weeks into the tour, was apparently this: a letter from a fan to Bruce, in which the fan wrote how much Backstreets meant to him. (This story in a music magazine around that time, probably Rolling Stone, or a U.K. magazine).

I'd love Outlaw Pete with the horns.

Seriously.

I LOVE Outlaw Pete from Hyde Park. It would be killer with horns.

Outlaw Pete?....so your the one. When watching Live In Hyde Park DVD, I can't skip to the next song fast enough.

I'd love Outlaw Pete with the horns.

Seriously.

I LOVE Outlaw Pete from Hyde Park. It would be killer with horns.
Outlaw Pete?....so your the one. When watching Live In Hyde Park DVD, I can't skip to the next song fast enough.

We're the two.

Yes. But it is not only BUSA, but the Spare Parts-War-BUSA sequence to end the first set that makes it so great and powerful.

I went back a few days after my initial post and listened to BITUSA on its own again. I was still impressed, but not as much as before. Then I listened to this three song arc again and that BITUSA again just came pounding out and blew my mind. You are spot on.

What is the subtext in this three song arc? Is that Janey's baby boy who goes to WAR and ends up as the returned veteren in BITUSA? Janey realised the value in his life before his country / society disregarded it all over again?