Sign in to follow this  
GreetingsFromBarcelona

The 2015/16 FC Barcelona and La Liga Thread: "Glory Days"

9 hours ago, Mission Man in AZ said:

I think Suarez committed a foul just before the keeper's foul.

Spot on, on both counts Mission Man.

Ruined what promised to be an interesting game, turned it off after 10 mins.

On January 18, 2016 at 0:40 AM, dr winston oboogie said:

Spot on, on both counts Mission Man.

Ruined what promised to be an interesting game, turned it off after 10 mins.

Too bad, Luis Suarez got a hat-trick and Iniesta and Neymar made some stunningly beautiful passes well worth watching. 

Messi handled with kid gloves again in the soft spanish league. No wonder he doesn't want to go to England. :P

Not entirely sure that a tough a game versus Athletico negates the earlier post that six tough games in La Liga is easier than thirty eight in the Premiership?

14 minutes ago, Ninethumbs said:

Not entirely sure that a tough a game versus Athletico negates the earlier post that six tough games in La Liga is easier than thirty eight in the Premiership?

Six? No offense, but I don't think you watch much La Liga. And compared to Barça's last four Copa matches the path to the FA Cup final is like a relaxed stroll through the park.

Apologies Leo, I was digging a bit but regardless, Messi does not have anything close to 38 battles every season.

As regards the FA Cup it breaks my heart when any side puts out their reserves in a competition that used to mean the world just few short years ago.

I should also add that Messi is without a doubt the third best footballer I have ever seen after Pele & Cruyf which is pretty illustrious company in my book.

8 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

Apologies Leo, I was digging a bit but regardless, Messi does not have anything close to 38 battles every season.

As regards the FA Cup it breaks my heart when any side puts out their reserves in a competition that used to mean the world just few short years ago.

I would never claim that every game in Spain is a battle, but, come on, it's not like every PL game is. 

There are myths about La Liga going around, especially in England, for whatever reason, that are just laughable.

32 minutes ago, GJ21 said:

Barca 7-0 last night Real Madrid 6-0 on Sunday, it must be a bit dull for them.

Dull? No, I'm sure they had fun. Barça, the way they played yesterday... I don't see any team standing a chance. And they played against a Valencia side that hasn't won a league match since November and that was down to ten men at halftime. So if you add all that up you get a result like that.

And funny, I remember Gary Neville saying in some podcast about a year ago that La Liga wasn't competitive? Now he's in charge of one of the biggest clubs in the country and so far failed to win against teams like Eibar, Getafe, Real Sociedad, La Coruna, Sporting Gijon, Rayo Vallecano, Las Palmas... The creme de la creme of spanish football.

From goal.com...

CaXd0K5WQAAW236.jpg:large

3 out of 5 stars for a player who recovered 27 (!) balls.

Still one of the most underrated players in the world.

A foul like this in La Liga...

gets you banned for 1 (one!) match.

Everyone knew Real Madrid would come up with something so as to not have to offer the Santiago Bernabéu for the Copa del Rey Final and in recent years the excuse has been renovating the stadium toilets. This year though they've got a great excuse as they've just offered the stadium to Bruce Springsteen for his European Tour (the concert was to be in La Peineta). The best but about it was Luis Enrique's response when he was informed in a press conference today: "Damn... Springsteen at the Bernabéu on the night of the final? I won't let my boys go I'm afraid but I'm sure our rival's players will have a great night"

On 16.2.2016 at 3:53 PM, GreetingsFromBarcelona said:

Everyone knew Real Madrid would come up with something so as to not have to offer the Santiago Bernabéu for the Copa del Rey Final and in recent years the excuse has been renovating the stadium toilets. This year though they've got a great excuse as they've just offered the stadium to Bruce Springsteen for his European Tour (the concert was to be in La Peineta). The best but about it was Luis Enrique's response when he was informed in a press conference today: "Damn... Springsteen at the Bernabéu on the night of the final? I won't let my boys go I'm afraid but I'm sure our rival's players will have a great night"

I can understand it. I wouldn't like it to have Real celebrating a title at the Camp Nou and playing their anthem. And imagine Real would do what Barça did after winning the Copa at the Bernabeu in 1997: play the anthem 7 times! :D

I see Messi scored his 300th goal for Barcelona, well played

He is without doubt for me the best player ever

I didn't agree with what he did at the weekend, he took the piss a bit i think, no need

http://www.90min.com/posts/2954355-video-lionel-messi-sets-luis-suarez-up-in-the-craziest-most-unselfish-penalty-of-all-time?a_aid=35322

9 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I see Messi scored his 300th goal for Barcelona, well played

He is without doubt for me the best player ever

I didn't agree with what he did at the weekend, he took the piss a bit i think, no need

http://www.90min.com/posts/2954355-video-lionel-messi-sets-luis-suarez-up-in-the-craziest-most-unselfish-penalty-of-all-time?a_aid=35322

Not only his 300th and 301st league goals (just league!), also the 10000th goal in Barças history. He also scored the 9000th just 6 years ago. Never in their history did Barça score 1000 goals in such short time.

That means that now he scored 4,94% of all goals in the clubs history. (!)

And talk about when it matters most: This season 59% of his goals come when Barça are behind or the game is tied.

About that penalty you mentioned:

The very last thing that went through Messi's mind was to show up the opponent. He does these things because it's fun to him, because he wants to entertain the audience. To talk about disrespect and unsporting behavior is just wrong. None of the Celta players, nor their coach, complained after the game. Why should they? It's perfectly legal to execute a penalty like that. Just as it's legal to perform some kind of freekick trick. Personally, I also could have done without it, but only because I think a hard penalty high under the crossbar is way more spectacular.

But this whole respect debate in football has to stop. What's next? No nutmegs, no cheeky dinks over the keeper, no backheel tricks, no step-overs, no Zidane-pirouettes,... Football is entertainment and that's why we watch it. We sit through dozens of terrible football matches every year just to catch that one that blows us away. We watch it because of what we saw and heard of players like Di Stefano, Puskas, Pele, Cruyff, Best, Maradona, etc., who always showcased their skills and sometimes at the expense of some poor defenders dignity. But somewhere in the last years it went completely wrong. A player showing his skills is deemed disrespectful. The same player getting kicked from left and right is supposed to get up and stop whining because it's part of the game. Well, that is not the game I fell in love with. When a player like Neymar gets more criticism for his style of play, for showing up an opponent from time to time, than someone like Roma's Nainggolan for breaking an opponents leg, something is going terribly wrong in football.

• Like 1

It's a fair point of course Leo, but the back-heels and step over etc you talk about are as you say footballers showcasing their talent, what Messi did wasn't showcasing his talent was it ? It was taking the piss out of the team they were comfortably beating even if he didn't do it on purpose..and of course the Celta players didn't say nothing, because Messi would just score a double hatrick against them next time they play each other :D  I guess i was just a bit disappointed in Messi as he's never done anything like that before. He should have just let Suarez take the pen himself if he wanted him to score...actually I heard Suarez missed one lat night :D Maybe Messi did the right thing :rolleyes:

i do agree with your last sentence 100%

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

He should have just let Suarez take the pen himself if he wanted him to score...actually I heard Suarez missed one lat night :D Maybe Messi did the right thing :rolleyes:

At the rate they're missing penalties, they will have to come up with a few more tricks.

But isn't that great?! The three best forwards in the world in the same team and none of them can shoot penalties.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

We sit through dozens of terrible football matches every year just to catch that one that blows us away.

I take it you've seen Palace.............still waiting this year :(

I see Real Madrid won 7 nil or one ? Lots of goals in the second best league this season, most of the goals scored by Real Madrid or Barcelona :lol:

Nee Leicester's in that league.

6 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I see Real Madrid won 7 nil or one ? Lots of goals in the second best league this season, most of the goals scored by Real Madrid or Barcelona :lol:

Nee Leicester's in that league.

The world needs more Leicesters.

• Like 1

this last week Real score another 7 and Barcelona score 6 today:rolleyes: the second best league for entertainment is getting even more boring:P

3 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

this last week Real score another 7 and Barcelona score 6 today:rolleyes: the second best league for entertainment is getting even more boring:P

I knew you would post that at halftime. ;)

• Like 1

But seriously, Roy, what do you think this Barcelona would do to teams like Aston Villa, Sunderland or Crystal Palace? (see how I didn't mention Newcastle?) ;)

They would hammer them as well. And Real would do too, especially at the Bernabeu. They are mismanaged by coach and president, but look at the talent in their team.

The thing about this Barcelona team is their exceptional work ethic. Pep Guardiola brainwashed these players. Win, win again, and win more. Probably Pep's biggest achievment. Priceless! And now the "old-timers" like Iniesta, Pique, Messi, Busquets, Alves, etc., drill the new players to be like this as well. Look at how Neymar changed in the last two years. It's like he's a completely different player. If he had gone to Real, he'd be a diva now. At Barça he works his socks off.

Look at a player like Iniesta. He will win his 30th (!!) title in May, with a chance for 3 more. 4 Champions Leagues, 7 Spanish Leagues, 2 European Championships, 1 World Cup, U16 European Champion, U19 European Champion... But he still shows up first for every training session, still plays every game as if it were a final. This is what makes this Barcelona team special. People see the great football they play but often forget to look at how hard they work. They didn't lose for 37 games now. They won the triple last season. But they still show a hunger for more titles that I have never seen in football before.

And this sets them apart from teams like Chelsea or City. Look at Chelsea this season. One league title and they're slacking off. They have players strolling across the pitch like they don't want to be there. It's embarrassing. Same with City. These players will not know what is happening to them when Pep takes over.

• Like 1