Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baconbuttyman

Time to re collect vinyl

On saturday I went to the car boot sale to see what i could pick up icon_e_biggrin.gif icon_e_biggrin.gif, got 3/4 way round when i saw an old Sony hifi system, with 5 cd tray and all the gubbins, a serious high end system in its day, probably circa late 80's, expecting them to say £40 or so quid, nope £20 for the lot, i offered a tenner and got it

I haven't owned a record deck for 25 or so years, i loved the sound of vinyl and you cannot beat it.

God knows where my record collection went, probably sold it off at a boot sale years ago

so that after noon, i set it up, and it was fully working icon_e_biggrin.gif icon_e_biggrin.gif

I put the speakers about 8 feet apart, Place Bruce Springsteen & the E street band live 75-85 box set (5 LP record), Bought it with my xmas bonus when i was 17 in 1985 for £29, not listened to this particular record in a very long time although i have listened in my car.

Settled in my chair and listened to it from start to finish, 4+ hours, fantastic, that crackle that you only get with vinyl, hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif

Also, today, from ebay i purchased my first vinyl records since about 1988-89 ish and what a pair to start my new collection

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRUCE-SPRINGSTEEN-Born-In-The-USA-Tunnel-Of-Love-UK-1St-Pr-COMPLETE-N-M-/321816543998?euid=fc2204c06dcb4fb09fb65b8e195c6aac&cp=1&nma=true&si=JCx8lT5Fvhs5fAgs3%252Bd9TRbBcT4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

post-9624-0-33565600-1439229780_thumb.jp

Welcome to the vinyl club baconbuttyman where you can check-out any time you like but you can never leave. I got the "vinyl bug" as a kid and have had it ever since. The Sony all-in-one system is a great starter and offers serious sound for the price. I'm glad you chose to spin Live/75-85 first, that set is always a thriller for me too. Nice work on the Ebay vinyl as well!

......took a quick pic of my record collection. :wub:

IMG_5554_zpsbe70f479.jpg

Drool....

Cheers, as a kid i did have many albums, but when you leave home and get into bed sit land all that changes, stereo went lol, records went at some point, been listening to the Tunnel album today while fixing a computer, was great, never realized how much i missed it, Bruce has been a big part of my life, cd and mp3 so convenient, but vinyl, much better lol, need some where to put them now, cos i can see my collection coming thick n fast lol

just bought Greetings and Wild and the innocent albums today, there is a great record store in blackpool, i dont mean HMV lol, Records & Relics it is called, so while working in my office, guess what i was chilling out to lol

picked up Hancocks half hour on LP for 50 pence, if you never heard of Tony Hancock, you tube "The Radio Ham", very funny record. ok back on the Topic of Bruce, also picked up the 12" box set with the poster and single included from a car boot sale on Sunday for £5.

Welcome to the vinyl club baconbuttyman where you can check-out any time you like but you can never leave. I got the "vinyl bug" as a kid and have had it ever since. The Sony all-in-one system is a great starter and offers serious sound for the price. I'm glad you chose to spin Live/75-85 first, that set is always a thriller for me too. Nice work on the Ebay vinyl as well!

I am upgrading from my Sony system, a good friend if mine deals in stereos, one stereo in particular, the Kenwood series 21. He currently has 4 of them,they are all complete systems, all seperates, complete surround sound, dvd 5 disc changers, record deck, all serviced, approx 6-7 decks, he sells them on ebay for about 350 a throw, he is letting me have one at cost, 120, he travels around uk as a sales exec so scours gumtree etc, my Sony system is awesome but this system beats it hands down,I have limited knowledge of high end systems though so opinions would be welcome. I will probably give my Sony system to my son

here is the exact system he sold a while back, this is same as the one i am getting

click here

oh no, just bought and recieved a copy of the River double album, inside there was a very unpleasant surprise, the previous owner must have a filthy dark secret, there was a copy of.........................................................shhhhhh will say this quietly, Russ Abbots Atmosphere 7" single, Those members in the UK "of a certain age" will remember this record, those of you in the USA or elsewhere..... well this should come with a government health warning, once heard it cannot be unheard....

Very nice.  I have an Audio Technica turntable hooked up to an old school (80s) Kenwood receiver and speakers.   Fantastic vintage sound.    Picked up The Wild the Innocent and the E Street shuffle on 180g for Christmas and it sounds amazing.   I hit the record store when I can and generally look for 70s easy listening type stuff, KISS, or any Bruce stuff I don't have.  

Here's a shot of how I display some of the LPs. . . 

PhotoGrid_1454213323842.jpeg

Hay I don't know how to post links anymore but over on beyond the palace

BrilliantDisguise has posted about a new vinyl pressing plant going into production 

the first one for thirty years

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 4:00 AM, baconbuttyman said:

oh no, just bought and recieved a copy of the River double album, inside there was a very unpleasant surprise, the previous owner must have a filthy dark secret, there was a copy of.........................................................shhhhhh will say this quietly, Russ Abbots Atmosphere 7" single, Those members in the UK "of a certain age" will remember this record, those of you in the USA or elsewhere..... well this should come with a government health warning, once heard it cannot be unheard....

you should see the look the cat is giving me right now

it's filthy

..... hasty retreat back to main board

And I thought it was just me :)

I got a vintage 1980ish turntable and the exact same model amp that I had when I first got a real hi-fi.

Been buying tons of vinyl, mostly second hand, and re-discovering record fairs has been a joy.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:26 AM, bhogg said:

Very nice.  I have an Audio Technica turntable hooked up to an old school (80s) Kenwood receiver and speakers.   Fantastic vintage sound.    Picked up The Wild the Innocent and the E Street shuffle on 180g for Christmas and it sounds amazing.   I hit the record store when I can and generally look for 70s easy listening type stuff, KISS, or any Bruce stuff I don't have.  

Here's a shot of how I display some of the LPs. . . 

PhotoGrid_1454213323842.jpeg

Great photo!  I would say that four of those albums would be in my all time top 20.  And only one of them is Bruce!

Nice to see other vinyl enthusiasts around here.

I gave up the collecting obsession many years ago, but still collect vinyl.  Subsequently, I've been able to build up a collection of all Bruce's vinyl albums all mint and sealed.  Plus, a second set that I still play.

Long live vinyl!!