Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demos

Bob Dylan Bootleg Series Vol 12 : Cutting Edge 1965 - 66 Sessions

Well, yes and no... Try to look at it from the point of view of a serious collector... If you bought the 18CD set, you could say "I have every take of every song Bob recorded between 1965 and 1966". That's pretty cool, don't you think?

That said, there's no way I can afford the complete set. And even if I could, I'd most probably still go with the 6CD edition...

As for me loving Dylan more than Bruce, I think you're right... Simply because I love poetry and while Bruce is a great musician and an excellent storyteller, Dylan's songs are more than just songs (if you know what I mean)...

Dylan's writing outsmarts Bruce's by miles.

Bruce simply doesn't have the same range of vocabulary, diction, depth and poetic style. Bruce would agree.

Plus I suspect Bob is a lot more well read than Bruce. He has a lot more to draw on.

Bob in the past, in his 20's. That Bob Dylan, who wrote "money doesn't talk, it swears," is clearly dead.

Charging $600 for this is outrageous.

Prices per disc are supposed to come down the more discs in a set.

This is absolutely SICKENING.

Anyway Bob hasn't written a great song in many, many years. His writing was better then Bruce only in his early years.

There is no comparison between the non-lp once unreleased music of Bob Dylan and that of Bruce Springsteen. Pretty much all of the Dylan stuff that has come out of the Columbia vaults has been brilliant and has added to his already stellar reputation. The same simply cannot be said of the previously unreleased music of Bruce Springsteen.

I'd rather hear the unreleased music of Bruce Springsteen. Give me every recording he did for Darkness On The Edge Of Town - but release it in separate volumes!

Great title.

You surely need a bloody cutting edge to scape the barrel that way... ;)

It's because Bob is taking a knife to his fans.

Well, yes and no... Try to look at it from the point of view of a serious collector... If you bought the 18CD set, you could say "I have every take of every song Bob recorded between 1965 and 1966". That's pretty cool, don't you think?

That said, there's no way I can afford the complete set. And even if I could, I'd most probably still go with the 6CD edition...

As for me loving Dylan more than Bruce, I think you're right... Simply because I love poetry and while Bruce is a great musician and an excellent storyteller, Dylan's songs are more than just songs (if you know what I mean)...

Bruce simply doesn't have the same range of vocabulary, diction, depth and poetic style. Bruce would agree.

Plus I suspect Bob is a lot more well read than Bruce. He has a lot more to draw on.

Bob in the past, in his 20's. That Bob Dylan, who wrote "money doesn't talk, it swears," is clearly dead.

Anyway Bob hasn't written a great song in many, many years. His writing was better then Bruce only in his early years.

Haven't you heard his last 4 proper albums then?

Apparently Soulcrusader78 has not listened to Bob's last 4 proper albums ukjohnny. Time Out Of Mind (1997), Love and Theft (2001), and Modern Times (2006) are three modern classic albums that I feel can rival some of Dylan's best 60's and 70's stuff. However, Together Through Life (2009) and Tempest (2012) left me cold.

Anyone see this in Rolling Stone piece about the "Bringing It All Back Home" album cover?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-how-bob-dylans-iconic-bringing-it-all-back-home-cover-was-made-20150929

50 years later and it's as good as ever. :wub:

Bob_Dylan_-_Bringing_It_All_Back_Home.jp

I meant 5 I guess, together through life, I agree with you on , but I kinda like tempest myself!

Dylan released two very good albums in the 80s, Infidels and Oh Mercy.

this type of thing is the only way for artists to make money nowadays. with all the free downloading of material so i dont know why anyone can complain about it.

its a collectors item that will go up in value.

Right, 5,000 copies of the 18 disc set worldwide only...

You must be kidding... Time Out Of Mind is better than anything Bruce has ever released (maybe with the exception of Darkness). Plus, Love And Theft, Modern Times and Tempest are all amazing albums...

Under the Red Sky is not 80s but from 1990.
Agree that it is not one of Mr. Bob's best albums. :D

This isn't true.

Dylan's released work was bad in the 80's, but lately (since Time Out of Mind) he's been pretty good

As Lampi said, both Infidels and Oh Mercy are brilliant albums... In fact, Oh Mercy is one of my all time favorite Dylan albums...

This isn't true.

Dylan's released work was bad in the 80's, but lately (since Time Out of Mind) he's been pretty good

As Lampi said, both Infidels and Oh Mercy are brilliant albums... In fact, Oh Mercy is one of my all time favorite Dylan albums...

I agree.

I meant 5 I guess, together through life, I agree with you on , but I kinda like tempest myself!

I have to agree. I listen to Tempest on a regular basis. Superb album. I never could get into Together Through Life.

Dylan has released some incredible albums over the years, but every decade has, in my opinion, one seriously stand out Dylan album.

60s: Blonde On Blonde

70s: Blood On The Tracks

80s: Oh Mercy

90s: Time Out Of Mind

00s: Modern Times

Dylan has released some incredible albums over the years, but every decade has, in my opinion, one seriously stand out Dylan album.

60s: Blonde On Blonde

70s: Blood On The Tracks

80s: Oh Mercy

90s: Time Out Of Mind

00s: Modern Times

Agree with your list... except for the 60s. ALL of the albums he released from 1963 to 1966 are true masterpieces. Freewheelin', The Times They Are A-Changin', Another Side, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61, Blonde On Blonde. How can you pick just one?

And John Wesley Harding...

For 70s also New Morning, Planet Waves, Desire, Street Legal and Basement Tapes (which is in fact of course 60s album) and all the great songs that were not on a regular album...

Yeah... but as much as I like both Planet Waves and Desire, Blood On The Tracks is the best album of all time!!! Just listen to this:

I did say in my opinion folks... :)

And what I didn't say earlier was that the Sixties and Seventies are difficult to choose because you're choosing one of several masterworks. Like saying which is Bruce's best album of the Seventies... I can't.

dude, peeps steal billions of albums via the internet and folks are whining about bob or anyone making a little money on the box?

you know folks will be rubbering this one too? how in f name is the poor artist going to make a buck?

You must be kidding... Time Out Of Mind is better than anything Bruce has ever released (maybe with the exception of Darkness). Plus, Love And Theft, Modern Times and Tempest are all amazing albums...

Not on a Bruce Springsteen forum you don't Potstan! Born To Run could kick ass on any Dylan song in my book.

Not on a Bruce Springsteen forum you don't Potstan! Born To Run could kick ass on any Dylan song in my book.

This being a Bruce forum doesn't have anything to do with the fact that, as far as artistic quality goes, Bruce's best albums are nowhere near Bob's...

Plus, technically, this place is not Bruce-related :P

Your opinions are very, very, very subjective Potstan. I would never join a Bob Dylan forum and sprout off shit about Springsteen being superior to Bob. Have you ever seen Dylan in concert? He was the worst headliner I've ever witnessed. Bruce in full flight is the very essence of Rock and Roll, Bob is not rock but a folk artist who occasionally plugs in.

Both artists are legends in their own ways and not to be compared so just leave it at that.

Every opinion is subjective. Not just mine. But yours, too.

And yes, I've seen Dylan in concert many times...

Anyway, this is a Bob Dylan thread... So if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all :D

Apparently Soulcrusader78 has not listened to Bob's last 4 proper albums ukjohnny. Time Out Of Mind (1997), Love and Theft (2001), and Modern Times (2006) are three modern classic albums that I feel can rival some of Dylan's best 60's and 70's stuff. However, Together Through Life (2009) and Tempest (2012) left me cold.

Anyone see this in Rolling Stone piece about the "Bringing It All Back Home" album cover?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-how-bob-dylans-iconic-bringing-it-all-back-home-cover-was-made-20150929

50 years later and it's as good as ever. :wub:

Bob_Dylan_-_Bringing_It_All_Back_Home.jp

Don't have something nice to say? ....... :lol: .......Potstan are you 12 years old? Seriously, I like Dylan (always have) and I own 22 of his 36 studio albums, so yeah I have lots of "nice" things to say about Bob Dylan (see above)

Anyway onto the topic at hand, if anyone is planning on purchasing any of the Cutting Edge 1965-66: Bootleg Series......versions in 6 disc or 18 disc or even Vinyl , I would suggest ordering from Amazon.ca if you live Stateside. Our Canadian Dollar is currently trading at 0.75 US and would be significant savings.

http://www.amazon.ca/Best-Cutting-Edge-1965-1966-Bootleg/dp/B015JXIA2C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443630923&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Bob+Dylan+Bootleg+Series+Vol+12+%3A+Cutting+Edge+1965+-+66+Sessions

I'm 12 years old? It was you who said that just because this is a Bruce forum I am not allowed to say (hell, even think) that Dylan is superior to him... But yeah, I'm 12 years old :D

Musical taste is subjective but any serious critique requires consideration of objective criteria as it does in any other form of art. In this case as we are talking primarily about lyrics and Dylan simply ticks more boxes than Bruce as a writer e.g in terms of use of imagery, diction, use of rhyme and rhythm, depth, feeling, humour and so forth.

Bruce's style is much more populist and places less challenge on the listener. He relies too often on cliche and many of his 'character' songs simply lack depth and verisimilitude such that they unintentionally feature some of the biggest dickheads in rock writing (check Jack of all Trades, Cautious Man, The River and many others)

No, Bob has never produced anything quite as huge and 'ass-kicking' as Born to Run. But that was never his style. In turn I can reel off around ten Dylan songs just off the top of my head that Bruce simply struggles to compare with as a writer:

Simple Twist of Fate

Shooting Star

Most of the Time

Ain't Talkin'

Pay in Blood

Forgetful Heart

Scarlet Town

Things Have Changed

Dreamin' of You

Across the Green Mountain

And that's just scratching the surface.

I do concede however that spending your hard earned on a Dylan live show is something of a risk.

Bruce excels as a performer. His voice sounds as if it holds the key to universe. The lyrics alone don't.