Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

11 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I'll certainly be in your camp Daisey (notwithstanding I don't actually know when the final is).

9.30 pm tomorrow night 

im confussed i think that's sunday 

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sad news today Former England captain Bob Willis has passed away. RIP

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last re

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i tell you fellas its hard work following a match by reading it on a news feed

i was hoping a miricle would happen and it would screen free to air

Wimbledon is available on the state broadcaster but not our national summer game :(

The final is being shown on free to air over here (well in between formula one from what I read the other day).

I follow it on the BBC sport website which can be quite funny at times especially as one of the guys who does it at times is called Matt Henry.

For Mr Rat & any others not sure the game starts Sunday morning at 10.30 am uk time & is being shown on channel 4.

8 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

The final is being shown on free to air over here (well in between formula one from what I read the other day).

I follow it on the BBC sport website which can be quite funny at times especially as one of the guys who does it at times is called Matt Henry.

For Mr Rat & any others not sure the game starts Sunday morning at 10.30 am uk time & is being shown on channel 4.

you get formula one for free too ?

it really is the green and pleasent land

ill have a sticky bun and lashings of ginger beer thanks 

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you get formula one for free too ?

it really is the green and pleasent land

ill have a sticky bun and lashings of ginger beer thanks 

I'm not a formula one fan so I'm not sure but have a vague recollection that some of it is free,some is pay per view,someone more knowledgeable on the subject will probably be along shortly.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

I'm not a formula one fan so I'm not sure but have a vague recollection that some of it is free,some is pay per view,someone more knowledgeable on the subject will probably be along shortly.

next you'll tell me rugby is free and live ;)

i really feel that the future of cricket in this country does itself no favours by being pay to view 

i know cricket kit is expensive but in my day players came from all income brackets

Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

next you'll tell me rugby is free and live ;)

i really feel that the future of cricket in this country does itself no favours by being pay to view 

i know cricket kit is expensive but in my day players came from all income brackets

Again not a rugby fan but think the six nations is still free.

Cricket here is all pay per view & as you say does itself no favours by being that way,where the women's world cup will have created so much interest by being free how will cricket attract more players/fans if the majority can't watch it.

My eldest son played cricket in his youth so I know it's not cheap.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Again not a rugby fan but think the six nations is still free.

Cricket here is all pay per view & as you say does itself no favours by being that way,where the women's world cup will have created so much interest by being free how will cricket attract more players/fans if the majority can't watch it.

My eldest son played cricket in his youth so I know it's not cheap.

Mmmmmm I think Murdoch has his disgusting claws into some of the six Nations but the majority is still on cooncil TV.

There used to be certain events labelled "Crown Jewels" that had to be free to air but that's been rolled back further and further and is now meaningless.

That's an excellent point about the women's WC, one of the major reasons it captured the public imagination so much was that it was free to view.

And while cricket may have benefited financially from selling to subscription TV, it's definitely diluted the fan base.

I used to be a cricket fan back in the day, Arlott, Benaud Laker on the Comms but now I doubt I could pick an England player out of a line up.

I think the sporting bodies need to think more about cost and value.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
56 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Mmmmmm I think Murdoch has his disgusting claws into some of the six Nations but the majority is still on cooncil TV.

There used to be certain events labelled "Crown Jewels" that had to be free to air but that's been rolled back further and further and is now meaningless.

That's an excellent point about the women's WC, one of the major reasons it captured the public imagination so much was that it was free to view.

And while cricket may have benefited financially from selling to subscription TV, it's definitely diluted the fan base.

I used to be a cricket fan back in the day, Arlott, Benaud Laker on the Comms but now I doubt I could pick an England player out of a line up.

absolutely Mr Rat

maybe some of the prize money would also be better spent going back into the developmental of the game 

and i say that for not just cricket

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Absolutely right. I used to recognise all the England players, was glued to the 2005 Ashes series and would dip in and out of various test matches throughout the day. Since it all went to Sky my interest has dwindled to zero. My support is, of course, not needed, but if large numbers of kids can't watch, that is a huge problem for the game.

My nephew who has 4 children aged 5 to 11, bought Sky for the month so they can watch and, guess what, the cricket bat has been dug out of the cupboard.

I will watch tomorrow, and am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Just one match away from Sir Eoin Morgan...... Oh wait, do they hand out these things to the IRISH

Just one match away from Sir Jofra Archer......Oh the W Indies are excluded too...?

One more try then...Just one match away from Sir Adil Rashid....Aw I give up....

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Just one match away from Sir Adil Rashid

Would that be the Adil Rashid who was born in Bradford that you're referring to?

What a world cup this has been. Going to be a great game tomorrow.

I've loved that nothing was a given or a sure thing. Superb.

Since I recently discovered my paternal great grandparents came here from Newcastle in the 1880's, I shall have to support England tomorrow...

Sorry @Daisey Jeep

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Since I recently discovered my paternal great grandparents came here from Newcastle in the 1880's,

@NewcastleRoy says his Great Granda wants the tenner he lent your lot back soon.

• Haha 3
38 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Since I recently discovered my paternal great grandparents came here from Newcastle in the 1880's, I shall have to support England tomorrow...

Sorry @Daisey Jeep

mate us southern hemisphere inhabitants have to stick together

plus all the Scotties because everyone has Scotts blood 

well you can have one anyway Steve

save it for the rugby if you want :lol:

new-zealand-sterling-silver-fern-brooch-1.jpg

• Like 2
15 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Absolutely right. I used to recognise all the England players, was glued to the 2005 Ashes series and would dip in and out of various test matches throughout the day. Since it all went to Sky my interest has dwindled to zero. My support is, of course, not needed, but if large numbers of kids can't watch, that is a huge problem for the game.

My nephew who has 4 children aged 5 to 11, bought Sky for the month so they can watch and, guess what, the cricket bat has been dug out of the cupboard.

I will watch tomorrow, and am looking forward to it.

when i was a kid cricket was summer

my dad used to take us to an Otago game over Christmas, in Oamaru or Alexandra, the forner requiring a very long hot car ride, then there would be cricket on the radio and tv almost non stop till a one day international at home in Dunedin and if we had been lucky Otago would have had a 3 day gane aganist the tourists 

i knew all the players, all the administrators, the coaching staff, the groundsmen, all the Aussies, and then the English counties in our winter 

i don't know what changed 

Sir Richard Hadlee retired, i started work, dad got sick - although i was still going to the cricket on my own after he died and putting leave in at work as soon as tour dates were announced 

boyfriend's never liked cricket 

it just wasn't the same without Dad

cricket went to pay tv 

then just nothing

but i must say i woke up this morning the most excitted ive been about cricket since Sir Richard Hadlee retired

• Like 2
13 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

Sorry @Daisey Jeep

Your great grandparents were indeed ..great

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

when i was a kid cricket was summer

my dad used to take us to an Otago game over Christmas, in Oamaru or Alexandra, the forner requiring a very long hot car ride, then there would be cricket on the radio and tv almost non stop till a one day international at home in Dunedin and if we had been lucky Otago would have had a 3 day gane aganist the tourists 

i knew all the players, all the administrators, the coaching staff, the groundsmen, all the Aussies, and then the English counties in our winter 

i don't know what changed 

Sir Richard Hadlee retired, i started work, dad got sick - although i was still going to the cricket on my own after he died and putting leave in at work as soon as tour dates were announced 

boyfriend's never liked cricket 

it just wasn't the same without Dad

cricket went to pay tv 

then just nothing

but i must say i woke up this morning the most excitted ive been about cricket since Sir Richard Hadlee retired

Cricket was summer for me too (well, that and Wimbledon!) My mum and dad were members of Warwickshire CC and were regulars at Edgbaston. I went a lot with just my dad during the school summer holidays for the county games and to some of the test matches. It's odd, it was the only place dad would buy me an alcoholic drink (half a pint of lager and lime) even though I was under age - only the one though! I knew all the players too. MJK Smith was my mum's favourite.

I drive past Edgbaston every time I go into Birmingham and, although it's changed, it brings back many happy memories.

I hope it's a good game today. Mum and Dad would have been so excited, although dad would not have approved of coloured shirts!!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

lead story on the news

3 1/2 hours to go

less than 10% chance of rain

20190714_180027.jpg

20190714_180144.jpg

Good luck to NZ, they may need it.

:o

• Like 1