The Cricket Thread

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sad news today Former England captain Bob Willis has passed away. RIP

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last re

Posted Images

On 7/11/2019 at 6:32 PM, TupacThePuma said:

England will be the only country in the world to have won - 

Cricket World Cup

Rugby World Cup

Football World Cup

I guess that makes England the greatest sporting country in the history of civilisation - Just a thought

I do agree with you, proper hard lines for NZ

but..dear mr boogieman ^^^^^^^^^^:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

It was the turning point at the end, England needed.......what was it, 9 from 3 balls? They'd got the 2 so that would've left 7 from 2 balls, who knows they might've got a 6 if they'd had to go shit or bust, but that was a gut punch for the Kiwis.

At least Williamson won Man of the Tournament. Better than a kick in the teeth......

• Like 2

I'm sure in the depths of time it used to be fewer wickets won the game but I guess like football the laws of the game keep getting meddled with,as Jeremy Coney just said the game was a tie the super over was a tie yet NZ have lost,I know both teams know the laws before the game starts but something needs sorting,in many ways it's a different game now to when alot of the laws were originally written,in football if a player hand balls it on the line you don't give a goal because it didn't go over the line even if it's 99.9999999% certain it would so how can a ball be said to be hitting the wicket when it doesn't get near the wicket? 

As for the ball hitting the bat & going for four,it may be the law but it doesn't mean it's right.

Sport can be cruel at times,it's sad someone had to lose.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, High As Hope said:

As for the ball hitting the bat & going for four,it may be the law but it doesn't mean it's right.

I'm old and we used to have that 'rule' when I was a nipper.

Of course it's right - what else would you do?

• Haha 2

New Zealand must be gutted, they got themselves in such a good position and then a couple of errors in the field when they should have got Stokes out.  and the 4 overthrows were bad luck, also a clever piece of running, having both batsmen running on the of the wicket where they were likely to block a throw, traditionally Stokes would have been on the other side of the pitch

• Like 1

That was the best feeling I’ve ever had in cricket today. I’ve scored centuries in league cricket playing for my clubs, but never, ever experienced a moment like that last ball run out today. 

An incredible and unforgettable moment of sporting history in one of the best matches of all time, in terms of drama at least.

England, world champions. Brilliant. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

What a match!

The result before the super-over was the genuine one: a tie between two teams who gave it their all.

So gutted for the NZ lads, who for my money deserved to win.  But the luck was with England, no doubt.  Incredible game, however you look at it.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

The result before the super-over was the genuine one: 

That's what I find most disappointing.

That's simply not true.

Maybe it would still have turned out England won or there was a tie, but the 4 overthrows skewed things drastically.

There's breaks and there's breaks and that........well, it's within the rules and the rules are just wrong.

I'm by no means  noble Corinthian but I do have a sense of fair play and I just can't help feeling that an awesome sporting occasion is a wee bit tainted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What a match!!! Surely has to be right up there as one of the greatest if all time. Congats to England.

The end was tragic though. Fate was cruel to New Zealand. 

Not to take anything away from Ben Stokes who was magnificent, that crucial deflection in the last over won the game for England. The administrators need to re look at allowing runs being scored after it deflects of a batsman's body/bat. Generally, in the spirit of the game, all players refuse to run no matter what the match situation is, but i cant really recollect it ever going to the boundary after taking the batsman's bat. That it had to happen in the final of the world cup in the last over in a situation like that was real sad. Also, they could have played another super over, not decide on the basis of number of boundaries. I guess when these laws are framed  and agreed upon by everyone, they do not really think it would boil down to this-especially the finals.

• Like 1

What a tournament!

Congrats to England well done.

Commiserations to New Zealand.

The Boult catch was the costly one. The poor bloke stuffed that up. It he takes it the Kiwis win the World Cup.

Those umpires/officials should never ever be allowed near a cricket field again, it was a disgrace to fair play and an even bigger disgrace to the game of cricket.

Anyway...watched the match in the pub with a good friend from Ireland and a good friend from W Indies and they were both so proud that their countries had won a medal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
18 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Those umpires/officials should never ever be allowed near a cricket field again, it was a disgrace to fair play and an even bigger disgrace to the game of cricket.

Anyway...watched the match in the pub with a good friend from Ireland and a good friend from W Indies and they were both so proud that their countries had won a medal.

WOW ! 

Unbelievable, but predictable, sour grapes ! 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The umpires got the laws wrong, these things happen.  Also the batsmen would have been at the other ends so Stokes would not have been facing you don't know what would have happened if the umpires got the laws correct, England may have won without the requirement of the super over.  The history books will state that England are World Champions.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bigbonesbilly said:

The umpires got the laws wrong, these things happen.  Also the batsmen would have been at the other ends so Stokes would not have been facing you don't know what would have happened if the umpires got the laws correct, England may have won without the requirement of the super over.  The history books will state that England are World Champions.

True... But you would expect umpires to know the rules.Also, the rules also need to be framed without any room for ambiguity. This rule in question is poorly worded so there is scope for misinterpretation too. Lousy way to end probably one of the greatest matches ever played

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
14 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

True... But you would expect umpires to know the rules.Also, the rules also need to be framed without any room for ambiguity. This rule in question is poorly worded so there is scope for misinterpretation too. Lousy way to end probably one of the greatest matches ever played

i don't have a problem with England winning but i wish they had scored one actual run to do it

i don't watch 20 20 so i find this boundry count back really odd because surly wickets taken are what should matter 

on the news tonight they looked at other sports' world cups and what happens in a tie and maybe a second super over would have been the way to go

Cricket is a game full of laws .... but this is a pretty crappy one and needs sorted out 

history only remembers the winners and onve again NZ is the bridesmaid 

Kerry Packer would have loved the excitment that his pajama cricket delivered last night but im not sure the way England won is actually cricket :(

could we not have just had a tie and left it at that ?

• Like 2