Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

why do Australia get to play a 5 test series with England and we only get 3 when we tour 

this is something that has been on my wick since i was 11

Mostly it's about the money Daisey. In the 80's when India toured Australia it was often a 3 test series (if I remember correctly). No its 5 all the time, due to the fact that India vs Australia draws big crowds and big TV audiences.

The Ashes has been 5 tests ever since the 70's. Before then it was sometimes 6 tests or whatever - particularly before they were flying.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sad news today Former England captain Bob Willis has passed away. RIP

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last re

Posted Images

1 minute ago, kenjisan said:

Mostly it's about the money Daisey. In the 80's when India toured Australia it was often a 3 test series (if I remember correctly). No its 5 all the time, due to the fact that India vs Australia draws big crowds and big TV audiences.

The Ashes has been 5 tests ever since the 70's. Before then it was sometimes 6 tests or whatever - particularly before they were flying.

oh well then :( i surpose its eaiser for me to be outraged over money than the thought that English cricket didn't think we were good enough (which is what i always thought)

and we can never compete with the shear volumn of cricket lovers on the sub continent 

One of the great privileges and responsibilities of becoming parents is naming the child. If you have an easy to spell but uncommon surname like we do, you get a bit of a license to make the middle name as dodgy as you like.

So with our first born due in 1997 (an Ashes year) and due just a few weeks after the series end, we decided to give the little tacker a middle name with an Ashes context. That being the name of whichever batsman scored the most runs in the series. That series it was the batting shooting star Matthew Elliott. If the Mandolin had been born with a middle stump, her middle name would have been Elliott. Mrs G was up for it.

Unfortunately Elliott was a bit too funky a middle name for a girl. So what middle name did she end up getting?

Mary of course.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, Kent Guitar said:

One of the great privileges and responsibilities of becoming parents is naming the child. If you have an easy to spell but uncommon surname like we do, you get a bit of a license to make the middle name as dodgy as you like.

So with our first born due in 1997 (an Ashes year) and due just a few weeks after the series end, we decided to give the little tacker a middle name with an Ashes context. That being the name of whichever batsman scored the most runs in the series. That series it was the batting shooting star Matthew Elliott. If the Mandolin had been born with a middle stump, her middle name would have been Elliott. Mrs G was up for it.

Unfortunately Elliott was a bit too funky a middle name for a girl. So what middle name did she end up getting?

Mary of course.

i would have gone with Hadlee myself

• Love Love Love! 1
17 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I think that this is something that will rumble on forever like the Geoff Hurst did it cross the line goal in 66,what I would say is that if England had been give one run less it would have affected how they played the last 2 balls,I seem to recall reading that Stokes said that needing one to tie off the last ball meant he didn't try & smash it out of the ground as if he'd have been caught on the boundary England would have lost.I guess if he'd needed to play a big shot he would no doubt have gone for it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ashes 81....lose first test,draw second,sack captain,appoint a captain who knows how to do the job,ex captain who could hardly score a run finds form without the burden of captaincy & we win the next 3 tests.

Ashes 19....lose first test,draw second,la la la everything is fine la la la.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, dr winston oboogie said:

If you can`t bowl them out, knock them out I suppose...same old cheats.

Canny funny coming from someone from a country that idolise the biggest cheat of all time :lol:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, newcastle roy said:

Canny funny coming from someone from a country that idolise the biggest cheat of all time :lol:

Well actually he was the greatest player of all time (watch the you tubes of him) , what he did for his country and for a small club in Italy called Napoli, has NEVER been surpassed, even by Lionel, close by Christiano though, easy to idolise someone who is so good at thier craft.                      

1 minute ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Well actually he was the greatest player of all time (watch the you tubes of him) , what he did for his country and for a small club in Italy called Napoli, has NEVER been surpassed, even by Lionel, close by Christiano though, easy to idolise someone who is so good at thier craft.                      

Fair point, but that is not why you idolise him is it ?

He's your hero because he cheated to beat England in the World Cup, you care about Napoli as much as i do

11 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

Fair point, but that is not why you idolise him is it ?

He's your hero because he cheated to beat England in the World Cup, you care about Napoli as much as i do

Like Fergie at Aberdeen,. what Diego did at Napoli has been greatly undervalued, not by those who actually know but by certain media who quite honestly do not care what happens or happened outside their own bubble.

1 minute ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Like Fergie at Aberdeen,. what Diego did at Napoli has been greatly undervalued, not by those who actually know but by certain media who quite honestly do not care what happens or happened outside their own bubble.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous post

8 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

Calm down boys. Get back to the real issues. Surely Root and the selectors can’t keep their jobs.

Trouble is it's too late,the warning signs were there but like I said it's just la la la everything is fine la la la & you're not going to get anywhere with that attitude.Root is going to bowl Archer into the ground,the selectors have got their heads in the sand & where's the coaching? Why are batsmen making the same mistakes? There is so much technology now that the moment a batsman is back in the dressing room he can see what he did wrong,why isn't anybody coaching those mistakes out of them,if you drive at a wide ball & get caught at slip then you should learn/be taught not to do it,yes it might still happen once in a while but not every innings.

If the fans know how their players are likely to get out it doesn't take much figuring out by the opposition.

Trouble is these days in sport it's more about sellling your soul to the highest bidder.

• Like 1