Mark V

The Cricket Thread

Recommended Posts

Absolutely incredible sporting drama once again. Utterly compelling. That Stokes innings has to be right up there as one of the most important Ashes innings of all time. 

Cricket eh, bloody hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Absolutely incredible sporting drama once again. Utterly compelling. That Stokes innings has to be right up there as one of the most important Ashes innings of all time. 

Cricket eh, bloody hell. 

Gower’s just said its the greatest innings he’s ever seen.

Fantastic for test cricket too, the purest and best form of the game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

Gower’s just said its the greatest innings he’s ever seen.

Fantastic for test cricket too, the purest and best form of the game.

Not a good day for everyone who loves seeing England fail. Or the bookies. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

Gower’s just said its the greatest innings he’s ever seen.

Fantastic for test cricket too, the purest and best form of the game.

Never mind wot Gower says, I say its the greatest innings I have ever seen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was always confident that Leach would see us home

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

What odds were England to win when they were bowled out for 67? 

any price i reckon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Not a good day for everyone who loves seeing England fail. Or the bookies. 

@dr winston oboogie will no doubt find (make up) some excuse 

Maybe he'll blame the Russian umpire :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Never in doubt

England's remarkable win in numbers

  • This is England's highest fourth-innings total to win a Test; the previous highest was 332-7 against Australia at Melbourne in 1928-29.
  • It is the 10th highest successful chase in Test history.
  • This is the third time a team has been bowled out for under 70 in their first innings and gone on to win the Test - the other two instances also occurred in the Ashes, but in 1882 (Australia 63 all out) and 1887 (England 45 all out).
  • Ben Stokes and Jack Leach's stand of 76 is the third-highest 10th wicket partnership in the fourth innings to win a first-class match.
  • This is only England's fourth Test victory by one wicket and first since against South Africa at Cape Town in 1923.
  • Headingley is the first venue to see four fourth-innings totals over 300 to win a Test.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

England's remarkable win in numbers

  • This is England's highest fourth-innings total to win a Test; the previous highest was 332-7 against Australia at Melbourne in 1928-29.
  • It is the 10th highest successful chase in Test history.
  • This is the third time a team has been bowled out for under 70 in their first innings and gone on to win the Test - the other two instances also occurred in the Ashes, but in 1882 (Australia 63 all out) and 1887 (England 45 all out).
  • Ben Stokes and Jack Leach's stand of 76 is the third-highest 10th wicket partnership in the fourth innings to win a first-class match.
  • This is only England's fourth Test victory by one wicket and first since against South Africa at Cape Town in 1923.
  • Headingley is the first venue to see four fourth-innings totals over 300 to win a Test.

Great day of sport memorable for you pal 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, doesthisbusstop said:

Great day of sport memorable for you pal 

I can believe the cricket win, just can't believe we beat spurs with steve bruce as our manager:D

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

What odds were England to win when they were bowled out for 67? 

Only 7/1 at the start of our 2nd innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was shaking watching the highlights on TV, even though I knew the result.

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

Only 7/1 at the start of our 2nd innings.

The Leicester City effect

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian cricket team applies for political asylum

Ashes-Cricket-small.jpg

The Australian cricket team has applied for political asylum this afternoon, claiming they face severe mental and physical abuse if they return to their home country. 

Lawyers representing the team have claimed that the abuse they will face if returned home cannot be expressed in the English Language, largely because that’s not what Australians actually speak. 

The Home Office is reported to be taking the application extremely seriously after spending about five minutes reading their fellow countrymen’s comments on Twitter. 

“My God, the abuse,” a clearly shaken Home Office spokesman told us. “Some of it is frankly indescribable.”

“To be honest some of it is incomprehensible, as well. What the heck is  ‘a pack of drongoes worse than a wombat’s arse and a dead dingoes donger of runs?'” He asked. 

“Whatever it is, it sounds pretty serious to us.”

Members of the team fear serious reprisals from fellow Australians, and are reported to be hiding out in the dressing room under armed guard. 

Meanwhile migrants at Sangatte are reported to have formed a cricket team and are currently challenging all comers in the hope it’ll boost their chances. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

The Leicester City effect

Funny but true, bookies will never let 5,000/1 shots happen again, here's an example 

Newcastle United to win the premier league...2500/1 when the real odds should be about 50,000/1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bigbonesbilly said:

Ben Stokes may be the greatest ever Englishman.

He's not a bad Kiwi either.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible match and another amazing effort from Stokes.

Aussie have themselves to blame having wasted the review against Leach. Granted that you should take whatever half chance you have at that stage but when the ball was so far outside leg, they must have known they had no chance to get that. If only they had not wasted the review then Stokes would have been out in the penultimate over and Australia would have won.

The umpiring has been consistently bad this series. The WI umpire i think was the same guy who along with Aleem Dar got so many decisions wrong in the first test

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I don't know where that came from,maybe the criticism of being out for 67 hit home,though there was still a few loose shots,I think when you need 70+ for the last wicket then going for it is the only thing to do & most of the time it doesn't come off.

It's usually England that snatch defeat from the jaws of victory it doesn’t often happen the other way round but when it does we certainly know how to do it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.