The Cricket Thread

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sad news today Former England captain Bob Willis has passed away. RIP

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last re

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Australian cricket team applies for political asylum

Ashes-Cricket-small.jpg

The Australian cricket team has applied for political asylum this afternoon, claiming they face severe mental and physical abuse if they return to their home country. 

Lawyers representing the team have claimed that the abuse they will face if returned home cannot be expressed in the English Language, largely because that’s not what Australians actually speak. 

The Home Office is reported to be taking the application extremely seriously after spending about five minutes reading their fellow countrymen’s comments on Twitter. 

“My God, the abuse,” a clearly shaken Home Office spokesman told us. “Some of it is frankly indescribable.”

“To be honest some of it is incomprehensible, as well. What the heck is  ‘a pack of drongoes worse than a wombat’s arse and a dead dingoes donger of runs?'” He asked. 

“Whatever it is, it sounds pretty serious to us.”

Members of the team fear serious reprisals from fellow Australians, and are reported to be hiding out in the dressing room under armed guard. 

Meanwhile migrants at Sangatte are reported to have formed a cricket team and are currently challenging all comers in the hope it’ll boost their chances. 

After losing an ashes test match when bowling England out for 67 the Aussies should burn the bails and the teams play for Ashes II from the next series. This time keeping the new urn in Australia. 

• Haha 1

Amongst all the incredible stats for this game, I wonder whether a team has ever before had a 10th wicket partnership in their second innings that has exceeded their entire first innings.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last review on a lost cause.

Until yestyerday my memories of Stokes were very fond, with Brathwaite thumpin him for 4 straight sixes to win the World T20 trophy, once again england were "glorious" runners-up.

Now the rub, I really enjoyed the days play and chose to watch it over the much overrated epl match which was being played at the same time, and strangely found myself wanting Stokes to score the runs required (made an appointment to see the doctor today to see if he can explain this) his concentration levels were superb and the way he controlled the situation was good to watch, a famous day in british sporting history, maybe, but does not come close to a british player winning mens Tennis Grand Slam titles.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
36 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last review on a lost cause.

Until yestyerday my memories of Stokes were very fond, with Brathwaite thumpin him for 4 straight sixes to win the World T20 trophy, once again england were "glorious" runners-up.

Now the rub, I really enjoyed the days play and chose to watch it over the much overrated epl match which was being played at the same time, and strangely found myself wanting Stokes to score the runs required (made an appointment to see the doctor today to see if he can explain this) his concentration levels were superb and the way he controlled the situation was good to watch, a famous day in british sporting history, maybe, but does not come close to a british player winning mens Tennis Grand Slam titles.

Some pain being experienced in sweaty sockland! 

• Haha 1

Ben Stokes deserves all the plaudits he has received for his World Cup and Ashes heroics.

This summer will forever be remembered as the year he became a sporting god in this country. And for how he has inspired a new generation of cricketers. My 6 year old son is now obsessed with the game. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
5 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I didn't watch the game but when I heard about the lbw my first thought was 'I bet Dr Bogey has something to say about that'. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The doctor was very sympathetic to my "condition" but advised me that there was no medication available for it until after Brexit, the only treatment he was aware of that was available now was to get hung,drawn and quartered in london and have my head impaled on tower bridge, I did not make a follow up appointment.

• Haha 2
On 8/27/2019 at 1:14 AM, doesthisbusstop said:

Ben Stokes deserves all the plaudits he has received for his World Cup and Ashes heroics.

This summer will forever be remembered as the year he became a sporting god in this country. And for how he has inspired a new generation of cricketers. My 6 year old son is now obsessed with the game. 

just to be clear that heart -love 'like' is for your son's new obsession with the game

not for Mr Stokes

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

the only treatment he was aware of that was available now was to get hung,drawn and quartered in london and have my head impaled on tower bridge, 

As if someone from England would do that to someone from Scotland  :rolleyes:

what i just cant understand is why was'nt Starc picked? 

His swinging yorkers at more than 150 kph would have been more than a handfull for the lower order guys, not that it is easy for the rest. IMHO, he is by far the best bowler Australia have 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

what i just cant understand is why was'nt Starc picked? 

His swinging yorkers at more than 150 kph would have been more than a handfull for the lower order guys, not that it is easy for the rest. IMHO, he is by far the best bowler Australia have 

I was surprised when the commentator said on Sunday that Starc was fit and available, but just not selected, something strange there methinks, maybe some of our Aussie friends can shed more light on the subject.

11 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I was surprised when the commentator said on Sunday that Starc was fit and available, but just not selected, something strange there methinks, maybe some of our Aussie friends can shed more light on the subject.

Starc and Pattinson can’t play in the same team together. They both tend to over attack, lack discipline and patience and can be loose. Play them together and you can lose control of the game. Starc did not have a great Australian summer.

The choice between the two of them also comes down to pitches. If the wicket is likely to be faster and abrasive then Starc is more likely to play for reverse swing and creating footmarks. 

I expect him to play the next test for Pattinson.

As for the best Aussie bowler, our Pat is hands down.

• Thanks 2
On 8/30/2019 at 7:02 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

Bumrah is special. Hope he does not burn out. When you have greats like Andy Roberts and Bishop talk so glowingly of him , then you know he is special. Roberts went on to say that Bumrah would have fit in well with the WI quartet of Holding, Marshall, Roberts and Garner.

• Love Love Love! 1
26 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Bumrah is special. Hope he does not burn out. When you have greats like Andy Roberts and Bishop talk so glowingly of him , then you know he is special. Roberts went on to say that Bumrah would have fit in well with the WI quartet of Holding, Marshall, Roberts and Garner.

huge compliment