Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

Daisy, just add it to the list of legalised cheating in the professional game all of which trickle down to the amateur game to further erode the game's standards.

Disputing the umpire's decision 

Abusing players

Massive bats & shortened boundaries

Orchestrated appeals

I am I confess a cricketing fundamentalist & ought to live in a cave system underneath Broadhalfpenny Down but I cannot believe the changes in the game since I fell in love with it 50 years ago.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

Daisy, just add it to the list of legalised cheating in the professional game all of which trickle down to the amateur game to further erode the game's standards.

Disputing the umpire's decision 

Abusing players

Massive bats & shortened boundaries

Orchestrated appeals

I am I confess a cricketing fundamentalist & ought to live in a cave system underneath Broadhalfpenny Down but I cannot believe the changes in the game since I fell in love with it 50 years ago.

i completly agree with you and the older ive got the more important upholding the spirit of the game is to me

its just not cricket

id live in a cave below Carrisbrook* but the Otago rugby union (who owned the hallowed turf) did a deal with the Dunedin city council and Otago university and alas it is no more 

they had to find and then dig up Burt Sutcliffe's ashes before the bulldozers moved in - 

it should be noted building the new covered stadium where Bruce Springsteen could play almost bankrupted the Otago rugby union with only a public appeal saving them

Otago cricket moved to the university oval which looks beautiful but its not my 'brook 

my dad must have been turning in his grave

* i know it wasn't the prettiest of cricket grounds and being a ruby ground it did have some short boundaries  and due to the prevailing wind it wasn't popular with touring teams - both international and domestic - but for me it was home

i can only hope God has resurrected it in heaven where its ok to spit on the ball and no big bats are allowed and all the boundaries are equal

photo_by_gerard_o_brien_52a78cf461_jpg_579348b992.jpg

• Sad 1

FFS:o:angry:

i know we can't find things from out shift but there is a huge difference between misplacing an electric hand mixer and a winning cricket world cup medal

https://amp.tvnz.co.nz/news/story/JTJGY29udGVudCUyRnR2bnolMkZvbmVuZXdzJTJGc3RvcnklMkYyMDIwJTJGMDQlMkYyNiUyRmpvZnJhLWFyY2hlci1sb3Nlcy1jcmlja2V0LXdvcmxkLWN1cC13aW5uZXJzLW1lZGFs

this would never have happened to someone like Sir Richard Hadlee 

JofraArcher_ph.jpg

3 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

Digging up Bert Sutcliffe's ashes is like disinterring St Peter to build a shopping mall. I'm not old enough to have seen him play but I well know he was the foundation of NZ cricket.

he must have been a long time ago because he taught my dad at school

Warren Lees taught me 

former NZ wicketkeeper Ian Smith (one of my favourite players) and now commentator,  awarded Bert Sutcliffe medal - NZ's premier award for outstanding services to the game

he was a very useful and entertaining lower order batsmen 

but if i had to choose i have always enjoyed us fielding as opposed to batting 

NZ cricket awards dinner was of course cancelled but that doesn't take away the outstanding work of the recipients 

im shocked at how young we all used to be looking at these photos

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/121303223/emotional-commentator-ian-smith-awarded-nz-crickets-bert-sutcliffe-medal

02032-zoom.jpg

gettyimages-113854000-1024x1024.jpg

downloadfile-110.jpg

108417.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NZ's greatest ever cricketer

Sir Richard Hadlee

talks about battling the odds with cancer 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300006928/sir-richard-hadlee-reveals-his-cancer-fear-im-still-looking-to-beat-the-odds

and just for the record, back in the day, My dad and I were right behind him keeping the car he won for international cricketer of the year

1588812233572.jpg

^ that looks like a picture of Dean Jones and Mark Waugh to me. Is that Martin Snedden at gully? He doesn't look excited even though the Aussie ump has given Jones out. Hadlee had it all over Dean Jones. Could get him out for fun.

• Like 1

i just loved Richard Hadlee when i was a kid

i used to sleep with one of his books under my pillow 

every New Year and Queens birthday mum and dad would brace them selves for my sulking waiting for him to get his knighthod

• 2 weeks later...

got so sick of all the soccer threads i thought id google latest cricket news

and from the land of @balboa08 i got this 

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/26-all-out-the-nightmare-that-still-haunts-new-zealand-cricket/amp_articleshow/75882188.cms

sigh

how are you @balboa08 ?

how is it all going in India ? 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:57 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

got so sick of all the soccer threads i thought id google latest cricket news

and from the land of @balboa08 i got this 

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/26-all-out-the-nightmare-that-still-haunts-new-zealand-cricket/amp_articleshow/75882188.cms

sigh

how are you @balboa08 ?

how is it all going in India ? 

Doing well Daisey. Happy to see that NZ has not reporting any cases now.

There is some talk that IPL will be held , mabe without spectators in June. Big money dictates everything.... Been watching some old matches on YouTube lately, the Benson and Hedges world cup in Australia and few other matches of the 80's and 90's.It's still a thrill watching the WI quicks, Dennis Lillee, Thomson and Viv Richards. Also, there is a programme called cricket diaries which is basically talking to 3 members of the Indian team who were part of a famous victory, some of them are fun.Its mostly in English with a bit of Hindi

Number of positive cases are increasing by the day, yesterday we had over 7000 positive cases and the total is around 140 thousand. While most countries are on the decline, India seems to be on the rise.About 4 k deaths so far. People are still not taking this very seriously here as 4k deaths in a population of 1.3 billion is very low and as you dont see people in your family or friends dying, it is still a not big deal for many

6 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Doing well Daisey. Happy to see that NZ has not reporting any cases now.

There is some talk that IPL will be held , mabe without spectators in June. Big money dictates everything.... Been watching some old matches on YouTube lately, the Benson and Hedges world cup in Australia and few other matches of the 80's and 90's.It's still a thrill watching the WI quicks, Dennis Lillee, Thomson and Viv Richards. Also, there is a programme called cricket diaries which is basically talking to 3 members of the Indian team who were part of a famous victory, some of them are fun.Its mostly in English with a bit of Hindi

Number of positive cases are increasing by the day, yesterday we had over 7000 positive cases and the total is around 140 thousand. While most countries are on the decline, India seems to be on the rise.About 4 k deaths so far. People are still not taking this very seriously here as 4k deaths in a population of 1.3 billion is very low and as you dont see people in your family or friends dying, it is still a not big deal for many

we have that mentally here but on a smaller scale

i don't wish it on anybody but famouse people getting it seems to resonate with people

i might just check those interviews out, thank you :)

the 80's were the best time to be a NZ cricket fan

i think it would be sad for the players to play with no crowd but more sad not to be playing at all

i don't know if Indian players in particular have any experience ever playing to no crowd because i imangind every single even 'back yard' cricket in India being watched by passionate spectators 

stay safe over there Balboa 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

we have that mentally here but on a smaller scale

i don't wish it on anybody but famouse people getting it seems to resonate with people

i might just check those interviews out, thank you :)

the 80's were the best time to be a NZ cricket fan

i think it would be sad for the players to play with no crowd but more sad not to be playing at all

i don't know if Indian players in particular have any experience ever playing to no crowd because i imangind every single even 'back yard' cricket in India being watched by passionate spectators 

stay safe over there Balboa 

Actually our domestic matches are played to near empty stadiums, unless  the match is in Tier 2 location where they do not get to see much cricket

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Actually our domestic matches are played to near empty stadiums, unless  the match is in Tier 2 location where they do not get to see much cricket

oh that makes me feel sad :(

i thought you had the best most supportive fans 

oh well all the players will be on an equal footing then if they play to empty stadiums

best wishes to India in this ongoing crisis 

• 2 weeks later...

England v West Indies 3 test series to go ahead in July behind closed doors,1st test at Southampton,2nd & 3rd at Old Trafford,both venues have hotels on site which is why they have been chosen over The Oval,Edgbaston & Lord's the original planned venues.West Indies will be based at Old Trafford for initial quarantine & training.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

England v West Indies tests to have artificial crowd noise so the teams aren't playing in silence.Meeting to take place to decide on what level this will be & whether to include music,crowd noise likely to be on TV aswell but may not be as responsive to things happening as artificial football crowd noise.