Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

I guess this is good news but im thinking  there won't  be aby free to air cricket on tv this  summer 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/122900074/nz-cricket-faces-2-million-bill-for-managed-isolation-for-giant-tour-squads

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sad news today Former England captain Bob Willis has passed away. RIP

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last re

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I guess this is good news but im thinking  there won't  be aby free to air cricket on tv this  summer 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/122900074/nz-cricket-faces-2-million-bill-for-managed-isolation-for-giant-tour-squads

I guess there's going to be a sizable cost for all the bubbles we've had over here,not easy keeping occupied for a long time either,was reading that Heather Knight says the England women have to try to do things so they're not just thinking cricket,they've had a fake wedding for 2 of the players,done their own coffee shop,hairdressers etc.

Saw the white ferns lost the first 20/20 by 17 runs.

12 hours ago, High As Hope said:

I guess there's going to be a sizable cost for all the bubbles we've had over here,not easy keeping occupied for a long time either,was reading that Heather Knight says the England women have to try to do things so they're not just thinking cricket,they've had a fake wedding for 2 of the players,done their own coffee shop,hairdressers etc.

Saw the white ferns lost the first 20/20 by 17 runs.

That's kind of funny - not the white ferns lossing - although that looked like an excitting match 

From what ive seen im just so impressed with the skill level in woman's  cricket

I wonder if it was there all along or did someone come to the realization that time and effort put into the woman's game would  eventually reap benefits for all cricket 

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

That's kind of funny - not the white ferns lossing - although that looked like an excitting match 

From what ive seen im just so impressed with the skill level in woman's  cricket

I wonder if it was there all along or did someone come to the realization that time and effort put into the woman's game would  eventually reap benefits for all cricket 

England won by 20 runs yesterday,a closer game than the first two,I think time & effort is bringing rewards,female sport now being taken far more seriously,game yesterday was on free to air tv,apparently the last time England women were on free to air six of the current team weren't even born,as welcome as the money from sky may be,there is also a need for the game to be seen by a wider audience so it can inspire more people to play.

• Like 1

The IPL is being played in the Gulf this year.

In yesterday's match Nicholas Pooran from WI pulled off what KP said was the best save he has ever seen.

While batting and bowling one may always debate if the standards are dropping but no doubt modern day fielding is something else.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:20 PM, balboa08 said:

In yesterday's match Nicholas Pooran from WI pulled off what KP said was the best save he has ever seen.

While batting and bowling one may always debate if the standards are dropping but no doubt modern day fielding is something else.

Dang its been taken off u tube

.going to go look for it

England women claimed a 5-0 win over the West Indies after a slightly crazy final game last night,after raining for most of the day & a washout looking likely the ground was eventually fit to play a 5 over a side game at nearly 8.30 pm,West Indies scored 41-3,England managed to chase it down losing 7 wickets in the process including 2 run outs in consecutive balls in the final over before the winning run which was a no ball,unfortunately for Daisey no super over was needed.

3 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

England women claimed a 5-0 win over the West Indies after a slightly crazy final game last night,after raining for most of the day & a washout looking likely the ground was eventually fit to play a 5 over a side game at nearly 8.30 pm,West Indies scored 41-3,England managed to chase it down losing 7 wickets in the process including 2 run outs in consecutive balls in the final over before the winning run which was a no ball,unfortunately for Daisey no super over was needed.

Super overs  :lol: bastard things

But 5 overs???

That's not great valid for money for anybody

On 9/28/2020 at 8:20 PM, balboa08 said:

Got it https://youtu.be/phTHTURwCWU

@Jimmy James @burghfan you might enjoy this piece of feilding if ypur quick

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

But here is the real deal! 

That is pretty awsome Jimmy

Batting is soooo over rated 

Feilding is where the real skill happens 

• Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Just been reading that on bbc sport.

Meanwhile in domestic 20/20 there's no super over but still drama,in the Notts v Leics quarter final last night Notts required 3 to win from the final ball,looking like they were only going to just get a single a misfield turned it into 2 to make it a tie,the winner would then have been the side losing fewer wickets but with both sides having scored 139-7 Notts won by having scored more runs during the powerplay. 

• Like 1

New to woman's cricket as i am im releaved the pink is kept for the T20 games

How i wish the cricket was still on the radio

NZ are playing the Aussies right now in a one dayer 

Its going ok , NZ all out in the 50th over for just shy of 200 i think

When i was a kid i used to buy the edited highlights of Otago games from radio nz on cassette (maybe i should  have rather brought Nebraska) 

1601695425514.jpg

Dang 

Don't  know where i was getting my info from but we only made 180

And its looking all down hill from here 

A beautiful jaw dropping catch i just saw on the news - hope i can find it for show and tell latter

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Dang 

Don't  know where i was getting my info from but we only made 180

And its looking all down hill from here 

A beautiful jaw dropping catch i just saw on the news - hope i can find it for show and tell latter

Bit of a beating from just looking at the score.

Do you not get cricket on the radio?

I tend to follow the text coverage on the bbc website,quite funny at times as they'll have all kinds of discussions inbetween relating what's happening in the actual game.

1 hour ago, High As Hope said:

Bit of a beating from just looking at the score.

Do you not get cricket on the radio?

I tend to follow the text coverage on the bbc website,quite funny at times as they'll have all kinds of discussions inbetween relating what's happening in the actual game.

Cricket on the radio ended for ever last season 

I grew up listening to cricket on the radio in the middle of the night 

I find rolling  waves of static quite soothing 

I just like cricket on the radio

I know people who would watch tv with the sound off and the radio on

Even my mum loved Henry Blowfeils

From Another time i guess 

Notts won the 20/20 final yesterday,which was the reserve day after Saturday was abandoned due to heavy rain which also left yesterday in doubt,a delayed start meant the semi finals were reduced to 11 overs per side & the final 16 overs per side,very rare that cricket extends into October here but well done to all that were involved in making cricket possible in this crazy year.

• Like 1
On 10/5/2020 at 8:27 PM, High As Hope said:

Notts won the 20/20 final yesterday,which was the reserve day after Saturday was abandoned due to heavy rain which also left yesterday in doubt,a delayed start meant the semi finals were reduced to 11 overs per side & the final 16 overs per side,very rare that cricket extends into October here but well done to all that were involved in making cricket possible in this crazy year.

We are having rugby with Aussie two weeks before Christmas 

Just crazy 

• 2 weeks later...

92 in a great innings in anyone's book

but still sadness 

NZ great John R Reid has passed away

playing for NZ in the '50's and '60's he was captain for our first ever test win

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/education/123089689/families-of-children-with-disabilities-a-hidden-minority-during-covid19-lockdown-many-still-in-survival-mode

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2020/10/cricket-new-zealand-great-john-r-reid-dies-aged-92.html

John R Reid is NZ's cricket version of all black legend Collin Meads

Screenshot_20201015-185124.png

batsman (a test highest score of 142 in Jo'burg in 1959), bowler, Captain, selector, manager and an ICC international match referee 

Sir Richard Hadlee reflecting on the passing of the last of the '49ers 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/123095231/sir-richard-hadlee-pays-tribute-to-iconic-john-reid-new-zealand-cricket-great

Dont think anyone follows IPL here. One thing that stands out is the amazing fielding. This is one department which has improved leaps and bounds.What would have been sure sixes couple of years back are now getting converted to catches or atleast 2-3 runs.

There was a crazy match last evening which went into 2 super overs,this is what should have been done in the world cup rather than the stupid boundary count.

Also, AB De Villiers continues to enthrall. This guy's popularity all over India is astounding, particularly in my hometown,Bangalore. I would guess that barring Tendulkar in his prime and Dravid who happens to be a local guy , there is no one who can match his popularity here, not even Kohli. Chris Gayle enjoyed this for about 3-4 years. International cricket is poorer with him having resigned.If i have to stick my neck out I would say he is the most talented batsman i have ever seen

• Love Love Love! 1
20 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Dont think anyone follows IPL here. One thing that stands out is the amazing fielding. This is one department which has improved leaps and bounds.What would have been sure sixes couple of years back are now getting converted to catches or atleast 2-3 runs.

There was a crazy match last evening which went into 2 super overs,this is what should have been done in the world cup rather than the stupid boundary count.

Also, AB De Villiers continues to enthrall. This guy's popularity all over India is astounding, particularly in my hometown,Bangalore. I would guess that barring Tendulkar in his prime and Dravid who happens to be a local guy , there is no one who can match his popularity here, not even Kohli. Chris Gayle enjoyed this for about 3-4 years. International cricket is poorer with him having resigned.If i have to stick my neck out I would say he is the most talented batsman i have ever seen

Don't really follow it,just seems to get more of a mention on the BBC website if an English player does well(Buttler getting 70) or if something like an amazing catch has happened.

Premier League football mostly dominates sports news here these days.

• Sad 1
On 10/19/2020 at 11:59 PM, balboa08 said:

We get a bit on the news now and then

It might be on sky ?

Personally i love feilding

Glad you have something to enjoy