Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread


Recommended Posts

Tremendous effort by our team especially when you consider so many of the front line players are injured and not playing. As per Ravi Ashwin they have always encountered  abuse in Sydney unlike Melbourne and Adelaide.

Frankly i always felt that maybe people were too harsh on Smith in the sandpaper incident but this guys seems to have a perpetual problem. Sandpaper aside, he was seen repeatedly  checking with the dressing room should he review a umpire's call in Bangalore and now this. Pity, a truly great test batsman who would probably end up marring his legacy

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sad news today Former England captain Bob Willis has passed away. RIP

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last re

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

Steve Smith shows his true colours again.

And captain Tim Paine having already been fined 15% of his match fee for abusing an Umpire after DRS overturned a decision (only 15%?) apologises after stump mikes pick up him abusing the Indian batsmen.

The Australian test team, classy dudes.

I could understand the excuse that Smith was standing at the crease in order to visualise his batting position IF he was going to be batting again but he wasn't as it was the last innings of the game so why would he need to be standing there.

As for Paine maybe he should concentrate more on trying to catch the ball rather than sledging the opposition.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, the usual Cricket Australia whitewash is being slapped on.

The gobby little shite Matthew Wade is fully deserving of censure too but nothing will happen.

What price that the investigation into the crowd behaviour finds no evidence of racial abuse?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 12:49 AM, High As Hope said:

It's a good ground for super overs :D

@E Street nation your reaction has been noted ;)

So don't be surprised if the black caps (the trully nice guys of world cricket)  send around their All Black brothers to knock on your door late one  dark night to 'talk' about the super over, then to request directions to @High As Hope 's house 

 

r596544_1296x729_16-9.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Tremendous effort by our team especially when you consider so many of the front line players are injured and not playing. As per Ravi Ashwin they have always encountered  abuse in Sydney unlike Melbourne and Adelaide.

Frankly i always felt that maybe people were too harsh on Smith in the sandpaper incident but this guys seems to have a perpetual problem. Sandpaper aside, he was seen repeatedly  checking with the dressing room should he review a umpire's call in Bangalore and now this. Pity, a truly great test batsman who would probably end up marring his legacy

Sometimes a leopard just doesn't change his spots

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the most important thing about any cricket match from a social xi right up to a test match is the spirit in which the game is played 

Behavior like this violates everything that is great about our game 

1610512554918.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

@E Street nation your reaction has been noted ;)

So don't be surprised if the black caps (the trully nice guys of world cricket)  send around their All Black brothers to knock on your door late one  dark night to 'talk' about the super over, then to request directions to @High As Hope 's house 

 

r596544_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Owen Farell has a good shoulder.............:P

In all honesty that world cup final was amazing to watch, i doubt we will see a game like this again

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

To me the most important thing about any cricket match from a social xi right up to a test match is the spirit in which the game is played 

Behavior like this violates everything that is great about our game 

1610512554918.jpg

Smith is a great cricketer but he cant be very bright... the excuse the have used is errrmmmm.... unusual. Visualising his batting stance on day 5 when he wont bat again ???

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, High As Hope said:

An entertaining day so far in the 1st test between England & Sri Lanka,having won the toss & batted Sri Lanka all out for 135 mainly due to poor batting,England already 27-2 in reply.

Excellent day for England.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh i have a soft spot for Sri Lanka

I remember when they were the mino of the crickering world

I like to see them do well

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, E Street nation said:

Rooty was superb! englands spinners need to dig in tommorow, Bess and leach need to take it up a gear, they also have the options of Lawrence and root as spinners too.. gonna be interesting

Gary read that in the news

He cant stop laughing over his name 

(He's not a cricket fan)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wise advice from some one who knows what the reproductions feel like when one chooses in the heat of the moment to not play in the spirit of the game

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/123971581/greg-chappell-tells-tim-paine-to-learn-from-his-underarm-bowling-mistake

I still remember that dark day

Bloody disgusting 

As an aside i went to high school with Brian McKechnie's daughter 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg Chappel a very unpopular figure in India, though not really sure how much of his unpopularity is really deserving. No fan of Paine but his on field antics/comments are not really something to be made a fuss about. Far far worse things have been  said and done on the field. Still believe the Sydney test of 2008 or was it 2009 when Anil Kumble was the captain for India is the worst match i have seen. Guess the West Indies team of the late 70's/80's were so popular though they used to routinely thrash the opposition was because you never saw them curse anyone or use abusive words.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its disgusting to bowl short and aggressively to lower order batsmen

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/123990111/mark-reason-australias-cricket-loses-honour-in-shameful-short-bowling-assault-on-india

 

intimidatory bowling, particularly at tailenders, is not part of the game. Law 42.8 specifically prohibits it. It states; “The bowling of fast short pitched balls is unfair if, in the opinion of the Umpire at the Bowler's end, it constitutes an attempt to intimidate the Striker…"

"Umpires shall consider intimidation to be the deliberate bowling of fast short pitched balls which by their length, height and direction are intended or likely to inflict physical injury on the Striker. The relative skill of the Striker shall also be taken into consideration"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

India beat Australia at Gabba to win the series :) First time the Aussies have been beaten there since 1988.

Probably, the most satisfying series win ever for me all things considered. The 5 Indian bowlers had played all of 4 Test matches between and Siraj, the most experienced guy of the lot had played only 2 Tests prior to this. Total team effort with everyone stepping up.

  • Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Its disgusting to bowl short and aggressively to lower order batsmen

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/123990111/mark-reason-australias-cricket-loses-honour-in-shameful-short-bowling-assault-on-india

 

intimidatory bowling, particularly at tailenders, is not part of the game. Law 42.8 specifically prohibits it. It states; “The bowling of fast short pitched balls is unfair if, in the opinion of the Umpire at the Bowler's end, it constitutes an attempt to intimidate the Striker…"

"Umpires shall consider intimidation to be the deliberate bowling of fast short pitched balls which by their length, height and direction are intended or likely to inflict physical injury on the Striker. The relative skill of the Striker shall also be taken into consideration"

agree that rules are skewed in favour of batsmen and aggressive bowling is fun to watch but the Aussies went overboard. It seemed their intent was to literally break the opposition and they did succeed to an extent but full marks to the Indians for the spirit. Not really accustomed to our guys showing so much heart and it felt great. The umpires too seemed quite lenient with the number of bouncers being bowled.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

India beat Australia at Gabba to win the series :) First time the Aussies have been beaten there since 1988.

Probably, the most satisfying series win ever for me all things considered. The 5 Indian bowlers had played all of 4 Test matches between and Siraj, the most experienced guy of the lot had played only 2 Tests prior to this. Total team effort with everyone stepping up.

CONGRATULATIONS - delighted for you, for Indian cricket and for test cricket.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

India beat Australia at Gabba to win the series :) First time the Aussies have been beaten there since 1988.

Probably, the most satisfying series win ever for me all things considered. The 5 Indian bowlers had played all of 4 Test matches between and Siraj, the most experienced guy of the lot had played only 2 Tests prior to this. Total team effort with everyone stepping up.

Well done India 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

India beat Australia at Gabba to win the series :) First time the Aussies have been beaten there since 1988.

Probably, the most satisfying series win ever for me all things considered. The 5 Indian bowlers had played all of 4 Test matches between and Siraj, the most experienced guy of the lot had played only 2 Tests prior to this. Total team effort with everyone stepping up.

Congratulations to India & to do it with such a weakened team makes it a great achievement,chasing down over 300 on the final day is a rare occurrence,alot of people wrote them off after the 36 all out in the first test but they just kept fighting.

Hopefully it might keep Tim " can't wait to get you to the Gabba" Paine & his mates quiet for a while.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A perfect match on tv our friend from St Louis to cut his teeth on.

@Jimmy James

Its still the christmas holidays here so a good game to take the family to

Its a full house in Christchurch, an absolutely beautiful cricket ground the Hagly oval in our most English of cities

These guys went years with no international matches, not even provincial matches in rugby or cricket or anything else for years (no concerts either) so people who think lock down is hard want to try living in a city with totally munted everything including housing, roads, sewage, drinking water etc 

Anyway back to

Team cricket Vs Team rugby 

They just shot to a St John ambulance on stand by

Mostly retired cricketers

Very unlikely i would think a similar match would occur in rugby, different kind of body type required

Kind of all a bit if a piss take if you ask me (one rugby player said he had never played before) but if its free to air and its cricket so i feel obliged to watch it 

The lows we have sunk to to get bums on seats and money in the coffers

I think beer would improve things somewhat 

Prices are half what they were last year  for adult GA

 

Screenshot_20210122-190511.png

20210122_185827.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jezus F H C hot spring spas (a sponsor according to team cricket's shirt fronts) have set up just beyound the boundry fence - i wonder what that those tickets cost ? :ph34r:

I think im too much  a cricket traditionalist for this (unless i was taking the Jimmy James family to the game)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...