Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

To be honest i lost interest and watched a glass blowing compition on netflex instead

Nice piece about women's sport featuring cricket

Not sure how many ladies we still have here but i did see @Eileen lurking in the terraces the other day

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300211458/sport-for-women-key-focus-for-this-weekends-super-smash

If you guys get the chance to see a national or even provincial  game please take the opportunity to enjoy the cricket

How is the woman's game structured in England ?

I know its popular in India and has gained a lot of traction in Aussie

I think the woman should still be playing test cricket and its an insult that they are not

More on the woman's game from the ICC

I say there is no excuse woman should be playing on sub par surfaces :angry:

This is not high school 1985 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300208748/international-cricket-council-committed-to-pushing-the-womens-game-following-report?rm=a

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

To be honest i lost interest and watched a glass blowing compition on netflex instead

Nice piece about women's sport featuring cricket

Not sure how many ladies we still have here but i did see @Eileen lurking in the terraces the other day

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300211458/sport-for-women-key-focus-for-this-weekends-super-smash

If you guys get the chance to see a national or even provincial  game please take the opportunity to enjoy the cricket

How is the woman's game structured in England ?

I know its popular in India and has gained a lot of traction in Aussie

I think the woman should still be playing test cricket and its an insult that they are not

England women don't play much test cricket,even Eng v Aus tends to be just one test with the rest made up of one day games with a points system involved,test match worth so many points,one day games so many points,team with most points wins.

I think it's a general thing now that they mainly play one day & 20/20 games.

England women to play the white ferns in NZ in feb/mar,3 one day,3 20/20.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in the 2nd test in Sri Lanka Jimmy Anderson becomes the oldest bowler to take 5 wickets in an innings in Asia beating the record previously held by Richard Hadlee.

Seamers take all 10 wickets in an innings in Sri Lanka for the first time since 1994,Anderson 6,Wood 3,Curran 1.

4 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Meanwhile in the 2nd test in Sri Lanka Jimmy Anderson becomes the oldest bowler to take 5 wickets in an innings in Asia beating the record previously held by Richard Hadlee.

Seamers take all 10 wickets in an innings in Sri Lanka for the first time since 1994,Anderson 6,Wood 3,Curran 1.

Not great from our spinners though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:32 PM, High As Hope said:

Test cricket back on free to air tv in England for the first time in 16 years as England v India to be shown on Channel 4.

Meanwhile batsman Zak Crawley will miss the first 2 tests after slipping over outside the changing rooms & spraining his wrist.

That's great news

But not about the wrist

Perhaps he can score some time in the  commentry box

Bruce Taylor, the first and still only player to score a century and 5 wicket bag on test debut has passed away 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300223822/new-zealand-cricket-genius-bruce-taylor-dies-in-hospital-aged-77

1612579932496.jpg

• Sad 1

A lovelly little story :)

I hope it plays for you guys

A lady who has been scoring for 50 years 

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/good-sorts-waitara-woman-devotes-over-50-years-her-life-helping-school-cricket-team-v1

I had the strangest cricket dream:wacko:

I have weird dreams this time of year because the rising sun is too hot in my bedroom 

@Jimmy James and his wife and daughter were in it 

Jimmy didn't know how to play but we were all in an indoor cricket league ...

With the Pakistani cricket team ! 

My mum was making them all dinner and i was worried they would find her food bland :D

Mrs Jimmy and their daughter were not on our team, but they were doing really well 

Sorry had to shear my weird dream :lol:

Never had a weird cricket dream before ...or any cricket dream ! 

And i was panicking because back in school i only made the 1st XI because we only had one girls team at my high school

The year i played i batted so far down the order i never even got a bat:(

(Year - way to encourage kids to get involved in the game :lol::angry:)

Anyway i woke up before it was my turn to bat

Sorry Jimmy, i don't remember how you did - but im sure you had a great time and loved every minute ! :D

But your daughter is a natural and could have a great future in cricket ! :)

England in a strong position to win the first test. India will have to bat out of their skin to save this given that it's going to be a 5th day wicket. Pujara will be the key. Root is continuing his brilliant form

• Like 1

A very good win by England which sets the rest of the series up nicely.Yes they won the toss which is important but you have to back that up with a good batting performance which they did to take control of the game.

I'm not sure about this planned rotation policy though,I know the current situation isn't ideal with players having to be in bubbles but at the end of the day it is their profession which they choose to do,whatever the schedule I can't imagine some of the great teams resting players if they had the upper hand on the opposition,they would just want to keep tightening the screw.

19 hours ago, balboa08 said:

England in a strong position to win the first test. India will have to bat out of their skin to save this given that it's going to be a 5th day wicket. Pujara will be the key. Root is continuing his brilliant form

I'm sure there will be alot of pressure on Kohli after this,a home defeat & the fact that the victory in Australia was accomplished with Rahane as captain just adds to it.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:42 PM, High As Hope said:

I'm sure there will be alot of pressure on Kohli after this,a home defeat & the fact that the victory in Australia was accomplished with Rahane as captain just adds to it.

Congrats to England. James Anderson still has it, the two deliveries he bowled to Gill and Rahane were a peach.

yes. Most fan's memory is just 1 test old. They tend to forget that Kohli apart from being by far the best batsman in the team has had a fairly successful run as the captain.Rahane's miserable run with the bat except for the one 100 he scored in Australia is not helping Rahane's cause as well. What was also missed by many is that Kohli got 2 fifties in both the tests we lost badly. Virat also needs to relax a bit.

• Like 1