Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Congrats to England. James Anderson still has it, the two deliveries he bowled to Gill and Rahane were a peach.

yes. Most fan's memory is just 1 test old. They tend to forget that Kohli apart from being by far the best batsman in the team has had a fairly successful run as the captain.Rahane's miserable run with the bat except for the one 100 he scored in Australia is not helping Rahane's cause as well. What was also missed by many is that Kohli got 2 fifties in both the tests we lost badly. Virat also needs to relax a bit.

 

I'm so pleased with our win, you seem like a genuinely nice india fan, unlike some others. I think the winner of the toss will win the game.

My England Team...

Rory Burns

Dom Sibley

Moeen Ali

Joe Root (C)

Ben Stokes

Ollie Pope

Ben Foakes (WK)

Stuart Broad

Jofra Archer

Jack Leach

Jimmy Anderson 

What would others pick

@balboa08 @Daisey Jeep @dr winston oboogie

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sad news today Former England captain Bob Willis has passed away. RIP

Once again englandshire get across the line with help from match officials, Stokes was plumb lbw and it was incedibly never given, Aussies must of course look at their own error in using their last re

Posted Images

6 hours ago, E Street nation said:

I'm so pleased with our win, you seem like a genuinely nice india fan, unlike some others. I think the winner of the toss will win the game.

My England Team...

Rory Burns

Dom Sibley

Moeen Ali

Joe Root (C)

Ben Stokes

Ollie Pope

Ben Foakes (WK)

Stuart Broad

Jofra Archer

Jack Leach

Jimmy Anderson 

What would others pick

@balboa08 @Daisey Jeep @dr winston oboogie

Thank You. If you are a sports fan you will always appreciate good performances irrespective of from whom they come , though you always want your team to do win. When i was young i always wanted Viv Richards to do well even against India. Good fast bowlers are always a treat to watch. Dale Steyn is another recent great who i enjoy watching.

Not an exception, if you go through the comments in India, most people are busy criticizing Kohli and applauding England. Now if it were Pakistan ;) Actually even Pakistan won in Bangalore and Chennai long back they were given a standing ovation. 

The English team is strong , cant see where the 3-0, 4-0 expert opinions came from.

The home advantage is also not a factor with no spectators , though i believe from the second test it is allowed and also most of these guys havent played on our wickets for more than a year.

  • Love Love Love! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, E Street nation said:

I'm so pleased with our win, you seem like a genuinely nice india fan, unlike some others. I think the winner of the toss will win the game.

My England Team...

Rory Burns

Dom Sibley

Moeen Ali

Joe Root (C)

Ben Stokes

Ollie Pope

Ben Foakes (WK)

Stuart Broad

Jofra Archer

Jack Leach

Jimmy Anderson 

What would others pick

@balboa08 @Daisey Jeep @dr winston oboogie

.....thinking

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Thank You. If you are a sports fan you will always appreciate good performances irrespective of from whom they come , though you always want your team to do win. When i was young i always wanted Viv Richards to do well even against India. Good fast bowlers are always a treat to watch. Dale Steyn is another recent great who i enjoy watching.

Not an exception, if you go through the comments in India, most people are busy criticizing Kohli and applauding England. Now if it were Pakistan ;) Actually even Pakistan won in Bangalore and Chennai long back they were given a standing ovation. 

The English team is strong , cant see where the 3-0, 4-0 expert opinions came from.

The home advantage is also not a factor with no spectators , though i believe from the second test it is allowed and also most of these guys havent played on our wickets for more than a year.

I reckon india will be hungry for revenege, one of thr best teams in the world, they wont want to be beaten at home again

Jofra archer is injured for this dest...:wacko:

1. Burns

2. Sibley

3. Moeen

4. Root

5. Stokes

6. Pope

7. Foakes

8. Woakes

9. Broad

10. Leach

11. jimmy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archer injured,Bess dropped,Anderson & Buttler rested.

Broad,Ali,Foakes & either Woakes or Stone as replacements.

Will be interesting to see how that affects things.

Bairstow should be at 3(at home),Buttler as wicketkeeper(going home) & Wood(not arriving till 3rd test) to replace Archer,I'm sure the ECB know what they're doing but deciding who's playing when just seems weird especially when you've just gone 1-0 up against one of the best teams.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the 2nd test has gone abit wrong for England,Rohit seemingly batting on a different wicket to everyone else,the pitch has alot of people asking questions about it,I've no problem with a home side preparing a pitch in their favour but when you've got someone like Mark Waugh questioning it's suitability for a test match then it can't be right,some dubious 3rd umpire decisions that players are questioning too,it seems like cricket is being operated by VAR all of a sudden.

I'm not moaning because England are losing,India are clearly the better side in this game,have players used to playing in the conditions & as I say Rohit has been different class without his innings it would be alot closer but it's worrying if win the toss means win the game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the ball turning extravagantly on day one I think the authorities should check to see if the coin used for the toss had two heads.

I mean that in jest. It's a joy watching batsmen facing top quality spinners on a turning wicket.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Well the 2nd test has gone abit wrong for England,Rohit seemingly batting on a different wicket to everyone else,the pitch has alot of people asking questions about it,I've no problem with a home side preparing a pitch in their favour but when you've got someone like Mark Waugh questioning it's suitability for a test match then it can't be right,some dubious 3rd umpire decisions that players are questioning too,it seems like cricket is being operated by VAR all of a sudden.

I'm not moaning because England are losing,India are clearly the better side in this game,have players used to playing in the conditions & as I say Rohit has been different class without his innings it would be alot closer but it's worrying if win the toss means win the game.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/124247499/india-v-england-cricket-legends-rip-chennai-pitch-as-england-sink-to-44year-low

I see what you mean

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about the rest of the world but here the cricketing media is really paying attentiom to the contribution of the woman's game to cricket

And we have a 50 50 split of male females on our cricket board

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300230584/the-famous-ice-cream-catch-a-former-white-ferns-keeper-cant-drop

I feel absolutly dreadful i don't remenber this (personally 4x4ing instead of watching cricket)

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/123685572/reliving-the-white-ferns-win-in-the-2000-cricinfo-womens-world-cup-final?rm=a

So many womam cricketers are now in the police :o

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/124244751/white-ferns-stalwarts-pad-up-for-police-team-as-womens-cricket-soars

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Home teams always prepare pitches to suit themselves. India for long has been dished green pitches when playing in England,Australia, NZ and SA. Lord 2018 comes to mind. At the end of the day, both teams play on the same pitch and England have a good spin attack and also beat India convincingly in the same venue just a few days back.

Save for Rohit and Pant, India would have struggled too

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I don't know about the rest of the world but here the cricketing media is really paying attentiom to the contribution of the woman's game to cricket

And we have a 50 50 split of male females on our cricket board

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300230584/the-famous-ice-cream-catch-a-former-white-ferns-keeper-cant-drop

I feel absolutly dreadful i don't remenber this (personally 4x4ing instead of watching cricket)

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/123685572/reliving-the-white-ferns-win-in-the-2000-cricinfo-womens-world-cup-final?rm=a

So many womam cricketers are now in the police :o

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/124244751/white-ferns-stalwarts-pad-up-for-police-team-as-womens-cricket-soars

 

Following the test match on BBC text & they posted a tweet from one of the England women's squad from a warm up match in Queenstown showing a plane apparently stopping play whilst it took off from the nearby airport.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Really predictable to see all these excuses being trotted out here, it is not confined to cricket btw, so no surprise at all, just a wonderful day of cricket imho.

With you. Whenever a team does badly in the subcontinent, pitch is spoken about. No one has been knocked on the head so far or has the ball scooted on the pitch. Could the Chennai pitch have been better, yes but its not as bad as its made out to be if one applies them-self. Ashwin batting at No 8 got a 100 today.

When our team gets their butt kicked in 3 days in England or anywhere else, then all that is spoken about even by the Indian media and fans and quite rightly too is our in ability to adapt to seeming conditions. But when it comes to the turning ball, it's a different story.

Not following much of Davis Cup lately bit i remember in the past, the courts used to be tailor made to the home team. Americans would always get slow clay courts in Europe

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 12:08 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

Interesting opinion piece on the state of the game regarding the IPL 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/300236880/mark-reason-be-very-afraid-cricket-is-being-sold-down-the-river

Factual inaccuracies. IPL is usually scheduled when there are no international matches and in the event of there being any series , then the players always take up national duties. Normally, England has matches scheduled during the later half of IPL and they always leave for national duty and also explains why usually English players do not go for a high premium.

IPL is very professionally managed and certainly no half baked league as the writer has mentioned

Kevin Petersen was very much part of the English team when he started playing IPL. I remember he joined in 2009 , the second year of IPL and he was made the captain of RCB by the then owner of RCB,Vijay Mallya replacing Dravid a local hero which lot of people did not quite like though Petersen himself was popular.He left the league in between to play for England.Anil Kumble another local hero took over and led the team to the finals. Lot of ex cricketers have an axe to grind when it concerns IPL. 

The reason why India did so well in Australia was largely due to IPL. Guys today are not in awe of anyone unlike the past wherein just by their reputation a Shane Warne and Mcgrath could intimidate batsmen. Remember the first time Tendulkar  played Ian Botham who well past his prime and Tendulkar was just playing the reputation and struggled to get bat to ball. As an 8 year old he would have seen Botham single handedly destroying India in Mumbai.

Cricketers from small towns who would have largely gone unnoticed all get a shot at being part of the Indian team.

Virat Kohli who captains RCB would have seen something in jameison for RCB to go so high for him. Having said that , franchisees quite often get it wrong. Also, its not true that basis Test matches players are picked. A cheteswar Pujara for several years had no takers.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Factual inaccuracies. IPL is usually scheduled when there are no international matches and in the event of there being any series , then the players always take up national duties. Normally, England has matches scheduled during the later half of IPL and they always leave for national duty and also explains why usually English players do not go for a high premium.

IPL is very professionally managed and certainly no half baked league as the writer has mentioned

Kevin Petersen was very much part of the English team when he started playing IPL. I remember he joined in 2009 , the second year of IPL and he was made the captain of RCB by the then owner of RCB,Vijay Mallya replacing Dravid a local hero which lot of people did not quite like though Petersen himself was popular.He left the league in between to play for England.Anil Kumble another local hero took over and led the team to the finals. Lot of ex cricketers have an axe to grind when it concerns IPL. 

The reason why India did so well in Australia was largely due to IPL. Guys today are not in awe of anyone unlike the past wherein just by their reputation a Shane Warne and Mcgrath could intimidate batsmen. Remember the first time Tendulkar  played Ian Botham who well past his prime and Tendulkar was just playing the reputation and struggled to get bat to ball. As an 8 year old he would have seen Botham single handedly destroying India in Mumbai.

Cricketers from small towns who would have largely gone unnoticed all get a shot at being part of the Indian team.

Virat Kohli who captains RCB would have seen something in jameison for RCB to go so high for him. Having said that , franchisees quite often get it wrong. Also, its not true that basis Test matches players are picked. A cheteswar Pujara for several years had no takers.

 

Thanks @balboa08

I was hoping you would chimb in :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Thanks @balboa08

I was hoping you would chimb in :)

IPL is by no means perfect. There are far more serious allegations of money laundering,etc which are of course not been proved.There was also spot fixing which happened few years back. However as a fan I have seen that it has done lot more good than bad , particularly for Indian cricket. The atmosphere in the stadium is also something else. Guys like AB Deviliers, Chris Gayle are hugely popular here. So was Ross Taylor when he played for RCB between 2008 to 2010. Frankly we would never got exposed to all these talents.

On another note England in a spot of bother at 87 for 6

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...