The Cricket Thread

Mark V

@Jimmy James this is what I'd take you to

I just found a woman's  T20 game against the Aussies  on the telly 

Very excitting under lights 

Cool - we just got a 6 and now a 4 

Things are looking up

20210328_201728.jpg

So another successful tour completed, do India get englandshire to keep now ?

Test matches : - 4 in total, just to keep it interesting to the viewing public India let england win the first one then returned to their normal game and won the next 3 in a row, by a wider margin each time.

Result : - India 3 england 1

Twenty20 : - 5 in total, again India kept the interest going longer by losing the first one, but comfortably came out on top over the 5 matches.

Result : - India 3 england 2

ODI : - 3 in total, so not really much wiggle room for India here so this time they took the win in the first match, then kept the interest going by giving england the second match, setting up a decider which of course India won.

Result : - India 2 england 1

I have to say almost as enjoyable as the 6 Nations Rugby tournament.

p.s. the only england player who would get a place in the India team would be Stokes.

• Like 1

Cricket is low on my interest list, but my oldest and dearest friend is a huge fan.

The Guardian newspaper, for some strange reason, features cricketers and ex cricketers very frequently in its birthdays list.. you can pretty much count on one every day, often two.

I send my mate the name every time with four questions; age, which county/country, were they any good and has he met them ? ( he worked at the Oval for some time so met a lot) . I don't check his answers, other than the age given.

This has been a nice tradition throughout lockdowns

Last week The Guardian had one guys age and my mate said": I thought he was dead". The next day the paper printed a correction...the guy was dead...died late last year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For @Jimmy James

Lords and the MCC club and ground is the home of cricket, where the laws are made and Prince Philip was twice president 

https://www.lords.org/lords/news-stories/hrh-duke-of-edinburgh,-1921-2021

I dont know how good a player he was but he would have learnt at school like all good Englishmen (and foreign princes with English grandmothers)

I dont know where these matches were played but im guessing some kind of invitational  xi or charity match ?

1d06da5877ef91a1df2b16ca2b7022f4.jpg

e65d7ede5a6d81a8ca4d981400930ed9.jpg

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, High As Hope said:

The EB is discussing the possibility of using the word outs instead of wickets in the new hundred competition to make the game more understandable to new fans.

Sad times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As COVID rages on in India, Adam Gilchrist had posted a poll on twitter if it was inappropriate for the IPL to continue or was it a welcome diversion. Think the overwhelming majority voted that it was a welcome diversion. In times such as now when there is just gloom all around , this atleast takes your mind off for a few hours. Of course, the players safety is paramount but if that is taken care of and as matches are played in empty stadiums, its a welcome respite. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 3:16 PM, High As Hope said:

The EB is discussing the possibility of using the word outs instead of wickets in the new hundred competition to make the game more understandable to new fans.

Boo bloody hiss 

Utter bullshit if ever i saw some

On 4/25/2021 at 7:33 PM, balboa08 said:

As COVID rages on in India, Adam Gilchrist had posted a poll on twitter if it was inappropriate for the IPL to continue or was it a welcome diversion. Think the overwhelming majority voted that it was a welcome diversion. In times such as now when there is just gloom all around , this atleast takes your mind off for a few hours. Of course, the players safety is paramount but if that is taken care of and as matches are played in empty stadiums, its a welcome respite. 

I havn't been back to this thread since things got so bad 

I see their point about it being a welcome diversion but it seemed to me tp be way too privileged for the players for my liking 

But now with the IPL on hold charter flights have had to be arranged to get the foreign players out/home and i see some players now have covid 

yes, somehow the bubble was probably not as secure as it was thought to be.

Actually the players had way too much stress, i would say probably more than the rest of us. The Aussies were worried about how to go back and the Indian players had their family being affected by the virus. Ashwin pulled out as 10 of his family incl his wife and kids had tested positive. Their returns were taken care. Few stayed in Sri Lanka and the rest in Maldives before going back home.

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Love a high scoring game! How many days did this take? 

....um

Im kind if scared to tell you ;)

4 days :lol:

England squad for tests against NZ @Daisey Jeep

Root,Anderson,Bracy,Broad,Burns,Crawley,Foakes,Lawrence,Leach Overton,Pope,Robinson,Sibley,Stone,Wood.

IPL players being given time to recover so no Buttler,Bairstow,Moeen,Woakes,Curran or Stokes & Archer who are both injured anyway means quite a change to the usual squad with call ups for batsman Bracy & seamer Robinson + a recall for Overton who hasn't played since 2019.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

As you say the Internet is forever,most people have probably done things in their teens that they wish they hadn't but these days the evidence is there online for those that want to find the dirt on anyone in the limelight.

Well done to Devon Conway in the first NZ game at Lords since the last one,can't remember what happened in that game.

When's the super over? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300324984/black-caps-v-england-ollie-robinson-to-be-dropped-for-second-test-in-wake-of-racist-tweets

I saw his apology on tv last night

I didn't think it was that convincing

How about apologizing to all the woman and girl cricketers and fans in the world 

Then the ones who arnt white.

There is no place in cricket for bigots 

Cricket is the greatest gift the English have given their former colonies 

Cricket is better than this 

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300324984/black-caps-v-england-ollie-robinson-to-be-dropped-for-second-test-in-wake-of-racist-tweets

I saw his apology on tv last night

I didn't think it was that convincing

How about apologizing to all the woman and girl cricketers and fans in the world 

Then the ones who arnt white.

There is no place in cricket for bigots 

Cricket is the greatest gift the English have given their former colonies 

Cricket is better than this 

But that's how it works these days,people do something they shouldn't then give a half hearted apology for doing it instead of not doing it in the first place.

• Like 1