Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

Just now, High As Hope said:

But that's how it works these days,people do something they shouldn't then give a half hearted apology for doing it instead of not doing it in the first place.

Hopefully he will be a warning to young ones 

Consequences for one's words 

48 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Surely he'll have competition from whoever scores the goal that knocks England out of the Euros.

I sincerely hope he will have loads and loads of competition by the time December comes around.

I have a slightly different take on this. He said something as a teenager and has apologized. We should just accept and move on. The way i look at racism is that unless its coming from someone who is in a more authoritative role and can affect me/my life I will not really care. Just reflects  poorly on the person who has prejudices based on skin colour, the God i pray or dont pray to or any other BS, rather than being offensive to me.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2021 at 8:20 AM, High As Hope said:

But that's how it works these days,people do something they shouldn't then give a half hearted apology for doing it instead of not doing it in the first place.

That would be the sort of apology that consists of (as in this case) the perpetrator expressing his regret to 'anyone who may have been offended by what I said.'

And as sure as night follows day, now we have the Culture Secretary and 'the Prime Minister's Office' piping up against the ECB's decision to suspend Robinson.

19 hours ago, balboa08 said:

I have a slightly different take on this. He said something as a teenager and has apologized. We should just accept and move on. The way i look at racism is that unless its coming from someone who is in a more authoritative role and can affect me/my life I will not really care. Just reflects  poorly on the person who has prejudices based on skin colour, the God i pray or dont pray to or any other BS, rather than being offensive to me.

It is a difficult one,I think the problem now is where do you draw the line,of course he shouldn't have done it but if you start dragging up everything that people have done wrong when they're teenagers then there won't be many players left to pick from.

Apparently the ECB are now looking at a historical tweet by another England player.

Forced apologies don't make right what was done but neither do witch hunts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Archie Hunter said:

At the time he made the tweets Robinson was employed as a professional cricketer.

Michael Carberry (a black man, and a former England batsman), spoke eloquently about this yesterday on Sky TV, well worth a listen.

watching it now

https://youtu.be/_pcRgq55Wr4

• Like 1

racism in cricket just upsets me the most

to me its the nost noble of games

and so many of the world's best players past and present are not white 

and the fans in non-white countries are so passionate 

they are keeping the game alive 

Well after days of tweets being the main subject of discussion we actually got test match cricket again yesterday.

An interesting day that seemed to swing back & forth though NZ probably the happier.

17,000 fans in the ground too,including my eldest son who found there were tickets still available the other day.He went to uni in Birmingham & Edgbaston was walkable for him from where he was living there,he did some bar work at the ground during a couple of test matches at that time,when it was his break he got to watch the cricket.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, High As Hope said:

17,000 fans in the ground too,including my eldest son who found there were tickets still available the other day.He went to uni in Birmingham & Edgbaston was walkable for him from where he was living there,he did some bar work at the ground during a couple of test matches at that time,when it was his break he got to watch the cricket.

I suspect that your son will have seen more of the cricket during his breaks than many of the ones he'd have been serving beers to will have seen in the entire day's play.

• Like 1

Well the way England have screwed up this test is impressive even by their standards,you can't even blame it on it not being a full strength side as NZ had players missing too.

Dr Oboogie can't keep his NZ shirt on though as he needs to swap it for a Croatia one.

• Haha 2

A good day to wake up to :)

Id rather we had won at Lords but a test win is a test win especially in England :)

Now why exactly are we only playing a 2 test series when Aussie get 5 test series aganist England ? :angry:

On 6/12/2021 at 3:07 AM, Archie Hunter said:

I suspect that your son will have seen more of the cricket during his breaks than many of the ones he'd have been serving beers to will have seen in the entire day's play.

Casual fans

Have never understood them

Starts as young teens walking endlessly around the ground rather than sitting down and watching the play*

Drinks are overpriced and tickets are usually exspensive 

My mum used to pack us a lunch so we never had to leave our seats all day

Great training for not needing bathroom breaks for Bruuuuuuuce !

Of course who even knows in these mega corporate days if you are allowed to bring even your own sandwhiches into a game (i don't think you are at Wellington stadium but you might be allowed at the Basin reserve) 

* i remember going to the rugby for the first time, after only having been to Carrisbrook with dad in the summer, dad said its not a fashion show, bring a coat !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

A good day to wake up to :)

Id rather we had won at Lords but a test win is a test win especially in England :)

Now why exactly are we only playing a 2 test series when Aussie get 5 test series aganist England ? :angry:

It is annoying that it's only a 2 test series though NZ have got the match against India here next week.

We may have 5 tests against the Aussies but the way we're playing they'll probably only last the length of 2 in total.

Jeremy Coney was saying that compared to NZ given all the resources England have with the amount of coaches for everything the amount of players to choose from etc how can NZ beat us so comprehensively.

I agree with him,I don't mind losing but being so outclassed in every department is worrying,why are batsmen playing the same bad shots game after game & not being coached properly to eradicate the errors as much as possible? As soon as you get back to the dressing room you can be shown your dismissal from 10 different angles to see what the problem is.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

It is annoying that it's only a 2 test series though NZ have got the match against India here next week.

We may have 5 tests against the Aussies but the way we're playing they'll probably only last the length of 2 in total.

Jeremy Coney was saying that compared to NZ given all the resources England have with the amount of coaches for everything the amount of players to choose from etc how can NZ beat us so comprehensively.

I agree with him,I don't mind losing but being so outclassed in every department is worrying,why are batsmen playing the same bad shots game after game & not being coached properly to eradicate the errors as much as possible? As soon as you get back to the dressing room you can be shown your dismissal from 10 different angles to see what the problem is.

That's a good point

But I think it comes in waves

England will bounce back in no time

One of the reasons I stopped going to test matches was the near certainty that you would be sat behind (or, even worse, in front of) a large group of drunken oafs intent on visiting their 'hilarious' (ie disruptive and obnoxious) behaviour on those near them, plus the absolute certainty that things would continue to degenerate as the day wore on.  This general pattern of behaviour seemed to be much more prevalent after the introduction of rules limiting the amount of alcohol that could be brought into grounds, meaning the drunken oaf types would simply make many more visits to the bars (which was of course the real reason for the rules being introduced).

I think I NZ are only playing two tests as they are sharpeners for the forthcoming world test final against India. They may now wish that they'd played Ireland instead for greater competitiveness.

Anyway, the test final will be between the two best test sides in the world. Good luck NZ.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Having already played 2 tests in England, NZ has a slight advantage in knowing the conditions better. 

6 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Having already played 2 tests in England, NZ has a slight advantage in knowing the conditions better. 

Im really looking forward to it even though its not on free to air

May the best team on the day(s) win and we get a great final my freind 

@Daisey Jeep England women are playing India women in a one off test match,the first test between them since 2014.

There's been quite a lot of talk about how few tests are being played in the Women's game.

Also they're playing on a pitch that was used for a men's 20/20 last week rather than a fresh pitch which has caused some controversy with some saying it's disrespectful to the womens game in that it wouldn't happen with the men's team.

England 269-6 at the end of day one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, High As Hope said:

@Daisey Jeep England women are playing India women in a one off test match,the first test between them since 2014.

There's been quite a lot of talk about how few tests are being played in the Women's game.

Also they're playing on a pitch that was used for a men's 20/20 last week rather than a fresh pitch which has caused some controversy with some saying it's disrespectful to the womens game in that it wouldn't happen with the men's team.

England 269-6 at the end of day one.

Well that's bad using that old pitch but excellent news ladies are playing test cricket again

I hope people go and watch

Is it televised?

Just watched the best thing ive seen for ages

HOZAT!  kerry Packer's war

It was om netflex 

It was riviting !