Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

42 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well that's bad using that old pitch but excellent news ladies are playing test cricket again

I hope people go and watch

Is it televised?

It is. I caught a bit of it sometime back. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well that's bad using that old pitch but excellent news ladies are playing test cricket again

I hope people go and watch

Is it televised?

I've been following the BBC text commentary,they show clips of the wickets etc,it's shaping up to be a good game,both teams having good & bad sessions with England edging it after a cluster of wickets late on yesterday.

England 396-9 Dec

India 187-5 (after being about 160-0)

• Like 1

On the news tonight they said if the world cup test is a draw its a draw no stupid super over or such like

The title will be shared 

A lot of rain in Southampton.....

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/300336229/washout-looms-for-black-caps-on-day-one-of-wtc-final-against-india

Why isnt the final at Lords ????

And incase you forgot how NZ got there 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/125441683/new-zealand-vs-india-how-the-black-caps-made-the-world-test-championship-final

1623981706890.jpg

6 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

In truth (albeit with a touch of local bias) apart from the kudos & history of Lords, Southampton is a vastly superior venue.

Well that's very nice to hear:)

And of course you are allowed to be biased towards your local 

How is the weather today ?

22 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

On the news tonight they said if the world cup test is a draw its a draw no stupid super over or such like

The title will be shared 

A lot of rain in Southampton.....

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/300336229/washout-looms-for-black-caps-on-day-one-of-wtc-final-against-india

Why isnt the final at Lords ????

And incase you forgot how NZ got there 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/125441683/new-zealand-vs-india-how-the-black-caps-made-the-world-test-championship-final

1623981706890.jpg

Only the ICC could come up with the idea that a final to determine the winners of the test championship could end in a draw.

After yesterday being a washout,the ground was like a lake apparently,Wednesday is a reserve day that can be used so at the moment it is still a 5 day test.However though the forecast looks ok for today,tomorrow is supposed to be wet & I think rain around on Monday too so not looking too good to get a result unless something dramatic happens.

So 2 test matches in England today & neither featuring the England mens team,that must be a first.

• Like 1

Pity that the weather may ultimately ensure that this match goes nowhere. Whatever little was possible yesterday was high quality worthy of the occassion with the New Zealand bowlers after the initial slight waywardness bowling really well and a typically fighting knock from Virat. After being put into bat guess the Indian team will be happier at the end of the day's play. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but if  i ever hear an English tourist moan about our wheather ever again :angry:

Rain in a fact of life

It rains in NYC and i never hear anybody complain and surely that's the best city in the whole world  ! (Even if they don't play cricket there)

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/125509748/new-zealand-vs-india-more-frustration-for-black-caps-as-rain-wipes-out-fourth-day

On 6/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, dr winston oboogie said:

I just love Virat Kohli and the way he conducts himself and plays the game.

Took a bit of time for me to get to like him being that we were used to Dravid and Tendulkar kind of personalities. But by all accounts the guy leaves his aggression on the field and is apparently a real nice guy off the field and more importantly though he is in your face all the time plays within the spirit of the game.

Seems like all the money RCB splurged on Jameison did not really help Kohli;). Jameison was also smart at not using the Duke ball while bowling to Kohli at the nets.

• Like 2

Despite all the rain, all 3 results are still possible.. If New Zealand get a couple of quick wickets then they would be favourites. If India bats well, then draw is the most likely result. Indian victory is technically possible but unlikely. 

• Like 1

Congrats to NZ. Worthy winners. Williamson, both with his batting, captaincy and conduct continues to be so impressive.

Well Ross Taylor, before Chris Gayle and AB Develliers played for Bangalore in the Ipl was the crowd favourite here. Great memories of his batting here and everyone used to cheer everytime he walked out to bat.

Read that 2 spectators were ejected for abusing Taylor on the 5th day. Disgusting... whoever it was. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Congrats to NZ. Worthy winners. Williamson, both with his batting, captaincy and conduct continues to be so impressive.

Well Ross Taylor, before Chris Gayle and AB Develliers played for Bangalore in the Ipl was the crowd favourite here. Great memories of his batting here and everyone used to cheer everytime he walked out to bat.

Read that 2 spectators were ejected for abusing Taylor on the 5th day. Disgusting... whoever it was. 

I saw this yesterday and wondered what was said

We don't need it in cricket what ever it was

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/300339751/fans-ejected-for-abusing-black-caps-at-world-test-championship-final-versus-india

• 2 weeks later...

In amongst all the football there's plenty of cricket going on,India Women beat England Women with 3 balls to spare in the 3rd ODI yesterday to keep themselves in the series points wise with the 3 20/20 games to come.

The England/Sri Lanka mens series has been fairly one sided with Sri Lanka a side in transition & 3 of their players sent home for a breech of the rules regarding covid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, High As Hope said:

In amongst all the football there's plenty of cricket going on,India Women beat England Women with 3 balls to spare in the 3rd ODI yesterday to keep themselves in the series points wise with the 3 20/20 games to come.

The England/Sri Lanka mens series has been fairly one sided with Sri Lanka a side in transition & 3 of their players sent home for a breech of the rules regarding covid.

That ladies game sounds like it would have been so excitting 

Naughty Sri Lanka 

Very disappointing 

Chaos for England as 3 players & 4 staff test positive for covid so the whole squad has to isolate,one day series against Pakistan starts on Thursday so they've had to name a whole new squad which includes 9 uncapped players.

The team will be captained by Ben Stokes who was playing for Durham on his return from a finger injury,there are also some of the test players in the squad.