Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

20 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

@Daisey Jeep the hundred started last night with a womens game,a crowd of over 7,000 at the oval & it was live on the BBC.

A close game aswell with the home team winning with 3 balls left.

Not sure how I feel about it yet,seems all a bit jazzed up which of course is the purpose to get people interested in it but just seemed strange,20 lots of 5 balls instead of actual overs,a dj,fireworks etc.

Good to that young people are getting chance to see some actual cricket on tv though.

The mens competition starts tonight.

I saw on t.v. the woman are being paid a lot less than the men 

7000 spectators is a good start but live on the BBC is better ! (For women's cricket)

But 5 balls is ugly 

I remember years ago they talked about selling eggs in 10s but 5 just wouldn't work - too ugly 

11 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Not sure how I feel about it yet,seems all a bit jazzed up which of course is the purpose to get people interested in it but just seemed strange,20 lots of 5 balls instead of actual overs,a dj,fireworks etc.

I'm not sure what it offers that T20 doesn't. If the idea is that shorter matches will create more close, exciting finishes, then why not go the whole hog and have one over per side matches? Super overs are great, aren't they? ;)

13 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I'm not sure what it offers that T20 doesn't. If the idea is that shorter matches will create more close, exciting finishes, then why not go the whole hog and have one over per side matches? Super overs are great, aren't they? ;)

The thing is 20/20 started with the intention of it being a quicker game to hold peoples interest,I seem to remember that an innings was supposed to last 75 minutes but this seems to have been lost over time & the innings have got longer & longer so it's lost that short time frame especially now with time taken up with reviews etc.

Now they've gone for an ever shorter version when all they needed to to was revamp 20/20 in this kind of style so the basic laws of the game are the same.I got into cricket watching the John Player League on tv in the 70s & gradually learnt the laws of the game,now kids will be watching this & if it gets them into playing cricket they'll go to a club where they find some things aren't the same as what they've been watching.

If @Daisey Jeep wants to get @Jimmy James into cricket then it's her best chance as it has a very American feel to it with all the extras going on.

The commentary has that slight annoying feel too where it seems they're trying to big the game up rather than just commentating on it.

On a random note it was good to see Colin Ingram playing for the Invincibles last night,early in his career (he must have been about 20/21) he played a couple of seasons at a local cricket club that my oldest son played for at the time & gave my son some coaching lessons during his time there as they both bowled leg spin,a good guy who later went on to play a few one day games for South Africa.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, High As Hope said:

If @Daisey Jeep wants to get @Jimmy James into cricket then it's her best chance as it has a very American feel to it with all the extras going on.

I don't understand why people(Daisey) keep trying me to get into this very boring sport that takes days to finish. I'm already pissed with the sport I grew up with "baseball" for being too boring and last 3 1/2 - 4 hours to play. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't understand why people(Daisey) keep trying me to get into this very boring sport that takes days to finish. I'm already pissed with the sport I grew up with "baseball" for being too boring and last 3 1/2 - 4 hours to play. 

We keep reducing the game time to try to hook you in :D

Now they have even reduced the balls per over from 6 to 5 :o

(I know -(5) that is beyound ugly - but why else would they do that inless they are targeting new markets ?) 

Well T20 gets over in about 3 hours. Test cricket can go upto 5 days as we love it so much and don't want it to end. :)

Was watching an interview of one of Bangalore's earliest sporting heroes, GR. Vishwanath who was the Indian cricket captain for a short while in 1980. Those days cricketers had to have alternate jobs as cricket did not pay much unlike today. Apparently back then they were payed per day and it was about Rs 150 per day for a test match. Guess it translates to little less than 20 USD per day. If the match was over in 3 or 4 days they wouldnt be paid for the days not played, so Vishy was joking that  their endeavour was take it to 5 days, even if its for one over so they get paid. 

22 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

We keep reducing the game time to try to hook you in :D

Now they have even reduced the balls per over from 6 to 5 :o

(I know -(5) that is beyound ugly - but why else would they do that inless they are targeting new markets ?) 

They're not even called overs just sets of 5 balls & then the umpire waves a white piece of card in the air to say that 5 balls have been bowled,after a set of 5 a bowler is allowed to bowl another 5 if his captain wants him to.

If batsman cross when a catch is taken normally the still in batsman would face the next ball,this doesn't apply in the hundred & the new batsman has to face.

It would be alot better if commentators spent time explaining everything instead of just bigging up how good the hundred is & how exciting it is.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, High As Hope said:

They're not even called overs just sets of 5 balls & then the umpire waves a white piece of card in the air to say that 5 balls have been bowled,after a set of 5 a bowler is allowed to bowl another 5 if his captain wants him to.

If batsman cross when a catch is taken normally the still in batsman would face the next ball,this doesn't apply in the hundred & the new batsman has to face.

It would be alot better if commentators spent time explaining everything instead of just bigging up how good the hundred is & how exciting it is.

Ugh

Im not enjoying this 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

Ugh

Im not enjoying this 

In the continuing weird world of the hundred,

County one day games have been going on whilst the hundred is happening,the problem being that alot of county players are involved in the hundred so counties are having to field weakened teams because of this,apparently Lancashire were missing 8 first team players when they played on Sunday. 

England players such as Root,Stokes & Buttler have been playing in the hundred so far but as they're contracted to England are now leaving the competition to join up with England ahead of the first test against India next week.

England of late have been rotating players to rest them,I'm not sure how inventing another competition helps this.

All about the money sadly.

On a non hundred note I read that players might pull out of the Ashes if their families were not allowed to be in Australia as some players would be away for about 4 months if they were playing in the 20/20 world cup prior to the Ashes tour.

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, balboa08 said:

Well T20 gets over in about 3 hours. Test cricket can go upto 5 days as we love it so much and don't want it to end. :)

Was watching an interview of one of Bangalore's earliest sporting heroes, GR. Vishwanath who was the Indian cricket captain for a short while in 1980. Those days cricketers had to have alternate jobs as cricket did not pay much unlike today. Apparently back then they were payed per day and it was about Rs 150 per day for a test match. Guess it translates to little less than 20 USD per day. If the match was over in 3 or 4 days they wouldnt be paid for the days not played, so Vishy was joking that  their endeavour was take it to 5 days, even if its for one over so they get paid. 

What a wonderful team Vishwanath played in. I don't recall them all off the top of my head but:

Gavaskar, Gaekwad, Vengsarker, Vishwanath, Amarnath (×2?), Engineer, Bedi, Chandrasaeker, Prasana, Venkat

More than I can manage of the current England team.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

What a wonderful team Vishwanath played in. I don't recall them all off the top of my head but:

Gavaskar, Gaekwad, Vengsarker, Vishwanath, Amarnath (×2?), Engineer, Bedi, Chandrasaeker, Prasana, Venkat

More than I can manage of the current England team.

Wow amazing memory. TV came to Bangalore only in 1981 and I started listening to radio commentary in 1979, so missed much of the famed spin quartet except for local matches. Think Engineer was slightly before Vengsarkar if I am not mistaken. Kirmani used to keep. Around this time there was also Eknath solkar who was known for close in fielding, Ghavri. Kapil Dev came little later. Chandra must be one of the very few cricketers who has taken more wickets than scored runs. Interesting bit about him which you would know.. He would bowl right handed but throw left handed as his right arm had very little strength due to being afflicted with polio. 

• Love Love Love! 1

I knew Chandra had suffered polio but I didn't know he threw as a lefty. Gavaskar was an absolute legend but the guy I really loved was Bedi. He bowled his beautiful left arm spin with a smile never far away but he was a diamond hard competitor.

• Like 1

Ben Stokes to take indefinite break from cricket with immediate effect to prioritise his mental health & help his injured finger to fully heal.

This means he will not play for England in the test series against India starting next week.

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I was following the hundred on BBC text last night & they posted a tweet from him thanking people for their support that he'd been vaccinated & was only showing mild symptoms.

• Thanks 1

Whatever is going on in the world some things never change such as an England batting collapse,all out for 183 in the first test against India after winning the toss & being 130-3 so prospects looking good for the rest of this series & then the Ashes,but hey the hundred is a success(well so they keep telling us) so who cares if players can't bat properly now,though India haven't had much first class cricket & they're coping,as bad as the England batters were you have to give credit to the Indian bowling attack.

What gets me in this technological age is that as soon as they're back in the dressing room players can see their dismissal on a screen from about 10 different angles so why do they keep making the same mistakes time after time,fans can see it,commentators can see it so why can't the coaches?

England are on course for breaking a record though....the most ducks in a calendar year by their top seven batsmen.

• Like 1

What a wonderful display by India`s bowlers yesterday, they completely mesmerised the english batsmen and tied them up in knots. No doubt the bleaters will be along soon to tell us that "it was only our "b" team etc. etc...blah..blah..blah" Now where on earth did I put that India top ?

This man sums it up much better that I ever could : -

• Like 2

Got a big cricket fan staying so we have been paying more attention than usual and watched the BBC2  hour show last night...

Still not a great fan.

i see cricket ( womens ) is in the Commonwealth games next year

• Like 1

Thoughts and prayers required rather urgently for the Cairns family 

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/former-black-cap-chris-cairns-life-support-australia

Chris was ahead of me at primary school and his sister a few years behind me

In the school pantomime i remember him being a very dashing prince charming in Cinderella

Thinking of his father Lance and his mum too  as years ago Chris's teenage sister Louise was killed in a level crossing accident