Mark V

The Cricket Thread

1 hour ago, High As Hope said:

Smith scored a century yesterday,plenty of booing for him & Warner.

Wow, they really should hold the World Cup somewhere more civilised.

• Like 1

no place in cricket for cheating 

its always sad when someone does it

Don’t let them upset you Daisy. 

Smith didn’t cheat, nor has he ever been accused of cheating.

As most fellow Aussie cricket fans, I was angry and disappointed with what happened in South Africa but those two have now done the time for the crime and we move on. Steve Smith is a joy to watch batting and happy to see him back. Warner on the other hand I'm a bit indifferent to, mostly for some of his behaviors on and off field. I thought there might have been a chance he wouldn't be bought back, but weight of runs in the Indian Premier League I guess trumps all else.

I expect nothing other than outright hostility towards both guys from the English fans, but I think that might even suit Steve Smith... he thrives on that sort of thing

• Like 1

Screenshot_20190530-170414.thumb.png.7b51c83784cfb443a5a433fcd2ebe146.pnganybody else got the google emblem doing the cricket world cup.?

i tried to capture a screen shot but it didn't capture the bit i wanted

edit OMG i actualy did it !

Screenshot_20190530-170414.png

Screenshot_20190530-170713.png

West Indies beat Pakistan by 7 wickets and we play Sri Lanka and Australia play Afghanistan tonight

not for the first time i would not like to be an Afgani

Pakistan were pretty awful,game was over before lunch,West Indies quicks were impressive though.Sri Lanka are rebuilding at the moment so hopefully a win for NZ.

• Like 2

If the Kiwis don’t beat the Sri Lankans I will be mighty surprised. The Sri Lankans are a poor imitation of their team that won the World Cup.

Expecting a big World Cup from my favourite kiwi batsman, the freckled Dravid, Kane Williamson. He is the most conventional batsman in world cricket.

It will be a big test for the curators tonight. The first two pitches have had bounce. If they do tonight the Kiwis and Aussies will do it in a canter.

If they aren’t fast and bouncy it should lead to an inquiry. The things they will do to try an prevent an antipodean country take out the World Cup.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Sri Lanka 60-6 on a pitch certainly suiting the Kiwi bowlers.

They all have so far.

I hope it continues.

I think England turned up expecting to win after beating them 4-0 in the one day series & then Pakistan being rolled over the other day.

The problem is you never can tell which Pakistan is going to appear on the day.

I so wish I could see these games. I love World Cup cricket.

My national team sucks balls, apparently, but I still like watching cricket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I so wish I could see these games. I love World Cup cricket.

My national team sucks balls, apparently, but I still like watching cricket.

I would like to watch too.

I have lost all interest in cricket since it stopped being shown on free tv.

• Sad 2

I think it is going to be a good tournament. I don't feel like there is one favourite.

It's about getting to the semis and then who knows.

I could do with more sleep though. Its pretty inconvenient that the UK plays cricket in the night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

I think it is going to be a good tournament. I don't feel like there is one favourite.

It's about getting to the semis and then who knows.

I could do with more sleep though. Its pretty inconvenient that the UK plays cricket in the night. 

Agree. Most open tournament i can think of in a long time. India have just started their campaign and while our bowling is good, in these conditions there might be over dependence on Virat Kohli.Expect Rahul and Dhoni to contribute too but not too confident of the others.

West Indies could well be the team that surprises most this time

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, Bosstralian said:

As most fellow Aussie cricket fans, I was angry and disappointed with what happened in South Africa but those two have now done the time for the crime and we move on. Steve Smith is a joy to watch batting and happy to see him back. Warner on the other hand I'm a bit indifferent to, mostly for some of his behaviors on and off field. I thought there might have been a chance he wouldn't be bought back, but weight of runs in the Indian Premier League I guess trumps all else.

I expect nothing other than outright hostility towards both guys from the English fans, but I think that might even suit Steve Smith... he thrives on that sort of thing

Have said this earlier too, IMHO, maybe lot of people went overboard with what happened in SA. There is a very thin line between cheating and gamesmanship and rules in cricket are little vague too. Throwing the ball on the bounce everytime, applying saliva on on side,etc are also altering the condition of the ball. Why is not walking when you know you are out not cheating , as also appealing when you know someone is not out. Cant think of anyone who will come out a saint. Purely based on performance Warner is one of the most destructive opening batsmen in the world today and was always a certainty once the ban was over. As far as  Smith is concerned, he was a bit unfortunate. However, Smith's conduct in my hometown was pretty sad when during a test match against india everytime he would look at the dressing room in get a signal whether to go for a review or not. Later he admitted he had a 'brain freeze' -except that it happened more than once

• Like 1

Daisy happy as NZ  scrape past Bangladesh.

India seemed impressive yesterday though against a not great South Africa side.

I think it's always a fine line between what's right & wrong in cricket,although I don't think the ICC help matters by enforcing some things but not others,both England & Pakistan were spoken to by the umpires during their game for throwing the ball in on the bounce yet nothing seems to be done about it yet players were fined for audible obscenities.

Smith & Warner were always going to be abused,Broad suffered in Australia,if someone gives the fans a reason to get on their back they'll take it unfortunately it's part of the modern game.

The good thing is that all the teams have a healthy support here which is creating a carnival atmosphere at games with all the costumes,drums,flag waving etc.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:47 PM, balboa08 said:

Agree. Most open tournament i can think of in a long time. India have just started their campaign and while our bowling is good, in these conditions there might be over dependence on Virat Kohli.Expect Rahul and Dhoni to contribute too but not too confident of the others.

West Indies could well be the team that surprises most this time

nice to see you, i was hoping you would turn up

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 4:36 AM, Ann Jones said:

I would like to watch too.

I have lost all interest in cricket since it stopped being shown on free tv.

im real sad to read thaf

and you live in the home of cricket

it seems we can get the games for free but they are on at midnight !

there would be divorce in this house