Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

Thoughts and prayers required rather urgently for the Cairns family 

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/former-black-cap-chris-cairns-life-support-australia

Chris was ahead of me at primary school and his sister a few years behind me

In the school pantomime i remember him being a very dashing prince charming in Cinderella

Thinking of his father Lance and his mum too  as years ago Chris's teenage sister Louise was killed in a level crossing accident 

Sad news,especially as he's a former Nottinghamshire player.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Thoughts and prayers required rather urgently for the Cairns family 

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/former-black-cap-chris-cairns-life-support-australia

Chris was ahead of me at primary school and his sister a few years behind me

In the school pantomime i remember him being a very dashing prince charming in Cinderella

Thinking of his father Lance and his mum too  as years ago Chris's teenage sister Louise was killed in a level crossing accident 

Real sad.. I was a big admirer of Chris Cairns. Quite a charismatic guy apart from being a talented all-rounder. Pity he got involved in all that mess later on. Hope he makes a complete  recovery real soon. 

• Thanks 1

Decent score from India and a bit of a fightback from England (Anderson) to stop India getting out of sight.

The way England bat, I'd be surprised if they got within 100 of India's total but "it's a funny old game, Saint" as Jimmy Greaves might have said - I think he played a bit of cricket for fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balboa08 said:

England very much the favorites but if Rishab Pant lasts for an hour today, then India can breathe a lot easier.

Yes it's set up for an interesting last day,as you say Pant is the key,with only the tail to support him I don't think he'll play patiently,he'll want to get runs while he can.

Nearly a million pounds has been raised during the test match for the Ruth Strauss Foundation,which included wear red for Ruth day on Friday, the foundation was set up by Andrew to help children cope with the loss of a parent.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

watching a bit of the Hundred competition lately, entertaining stuff, very impressed with the ladies games

If nothing else the hundred has done a lot for the ladies game in this country.

I just wish the commentators & broadcasters would let the cricket speak for itself without all the graphics & the constant bigging it up.

There have been close games that have gone down to the wire & a few fairly one sided games even in a 100 ball competition.

It still feels abit strange to me,though I think it hasn't been helped by some overseas players not being available due to covid restrictions & England players playing the hundred one minute then off to play test cricket the next.

I still think they could have reorganised the 20/20 competition & ended up with pretty much the same thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, High As Hope said:

If nothing else the hundred has done a lot for the ladies game in this country.

think its doing a lot for the game overall, seen lots of families there at the matches cricket needs anybody it can get for the future, the lack of cricket in schools willharm the game, so seeing kids at games is encouraging

• Like 1

Now..not to disappoint....really it should be 2-0 NOT 1-0

Virat walks on water, the way he mustered his side and drove them on to victory is a lesson to Team Captains, in any sport, anywhere, he had great belief and instilled that into his team, they just HAD to win. Just loved the joy on all their faces as the celebrated each breakthrough, it was a joy to see....also loved how Siraj eyeballed the no.9, there was real intent in that stare. GREAT STUFF.

• Like 1

Great victory. Apart from the World Test championship finals, what has set this team apart from some of the previous Indian teams is the ability to keep fighting and not give up. Lack of quality opposition does help to an extent. English batting besides Root is very ordinary and Stokes is badly missed. 

The way English bowlers bowled to Bumra and Shami was strange to say the least. I think Harsha Bhogle on air commented it's almost like there was a deal that you score so many runs and we will try to chase or something to that effect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balboa08 said:

Great victory. Apart from the World Test championship finals, what has set this team apart from some of the previous Indian teams is the ability to keep fighting and not give up. Lack of quality opposition does help to an extent. English batting besides Root is very ordinary and Stokes is badly missed. 

The way English bowlers bowled to Bumra and Shami was strange to say the least. I think Harsha Bhogle on air commented it's almost like there was a deal that you score so many runs and we will try to chase or something to that effect. 

Credit to India for a great performance,England lost the game in the morning session using tactics that nobody could figure,as Vaughan said,tailenders aren't very good,bowl at the stumps & sooner or later you'll hit them.

India bowled straight & got wickets,England bowling short didn't. 

No doubt it'll all be dismissed as just a poor performance till the same thing happens in the next game.

All the talk of whether the Ashes will take place because of covid,we should just save any argument & concede now to save us the bother of going.

Boycott with his stick of rhubarb would do better than most of this lot.

Meanwhile India see a sharp rise in shirt sales in Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

The finals of the hundred today,weather permitting.

Yesterday saw the games between the 2nd & 3rd place teams to join the 1st place team in the final.

A pretty one sided mens game but a crazy finish to the womens game as Birmingham Phoenix who were chasing 115 to win had a collapse that England would have been proud of going from cruising to victory at 66-2 to 94 all out.

A remarkable 24 hours for Oval Invincibles Women,after the game on Friday where they fought back to win a game they were losing they won the final yesterday,after scoring 121 they reduced Southern Brave to 14-6 eventually winning by 48 runs.

The game at Lords had a crowd of 17,000 a record of a domestic game of womens cricket.Whatever anyones views on the competition it has had a massive impact for the womens game in this country.

The mens final that followed saw Southern Brave beat Birmingham Phoenix by 32 runs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, High As Hope said:

A remarkable 24 hours for Oval Invincibles Women,after the game on Friday where they fought back to win a game they were losing they won the final yesterday,after scoring 121 they reduced Southern Brave to 14-6 eventually winning by 48 runs.

The game at Lords had a crowd of 17,000 a record of a domestic game of womens cricket.Whatever anyones views on the competition it has had a massive impact for the womens game in this country.

The mens final that followed saw Southern Brave beat Birmingham Phoenix by 32 runs.

Am all for anything that brings in new audiences. It's easy to be dismissive of anything that deviates from the original. However all those innovations does have a positive impact. Have seen a renewed interest in Test cricket in India post Ipl. Once again test matches are drawing in crowds to the stadiums.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 4:17 AM, balboa08 said:

Am all for anything that brings in new audiences. It's easy to be dismissive of anything that deviates from the original. However all those innovations does have a positive impact. Have seen a renewed interest in Test cricket in India post Ipl. Once again test matches are drawing in crowds to the stadiums.

Well ok ..

But only because of the IPL bringing in crowds to test matches 

I didn't know the test match had even fallen out of favour in India, i thought you guys were the last bastion 

I just do not not like the idea of an over with anything other than 6 legal deliveries

What's been going on in the long room ?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/126176557/virat-kohli-claims-england-provoked-india-during-heated-second-cricket-test

And why does this hundred guy get a bonus when others took pay cuts ?

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well ok ..

But only because of the IPL bringing in crowds to test matches 

I didn't know the test match had even fallen out of favour in India, i thought you guys were the last bastion 

I just do not not like the idea of an over with anything other than 6 legal deliveries

What's been going on in the long room ?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/126176557/virat-kohli-claims-england-provoked-india-during-heated-second-cricket-test

And why does this hundred guy get a bonus when others took pay cuts ?

The crowds were dwindling for test. Partly also due to BCCI's rotation policy where they used to take cricket everywhere and in lot of places outside of the metros like Chennai,Bangalore, Delhi,Kolkata, Mumbai, there isn't much of an audience for test. Maybe followed on TV but people were not flocking to the grounds unless a Tendulkar was expected to bat.

Even from a cricketing sense, the innovativeness be it in batting or bowling and also the improvements in fielding in a way can be attributed to these shorter formats. Yes, ultimately test cricket is the true test especially for batsmen who can get away in the shorter formats. 

Take someone like AB Develliers.. This guy is phenomenally popular in India. Not sure how much you would have seen of him. The kind of shots he plays I have not seen anyone play since I started watching cricket from 1981. Immensely gifted and someone for whom numbers will never do justice for his talents though he does the fastest 100,150,200. If not for Ipl or Big Bash most people would have never gotten to experience or maybe even they would not felt the need to innovate 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balboa08 said:

The crowds were dwindling for test. Partly also due to BCCI's rotation policy where they used to take cricket everywhere and in lot of places outside of the metros like Chennai,Bangalore, Delhi,Kolkata, Mumbai, there isn't much of an audience for test. Maybe followed on TV but people were not flocking to the grounds unless a Tendulkar was expected to bat.

Even from a cricketing sense, the innovativeness be it in batting or bowling and also the improvements in fielding in a way can be attributed to these shorter formats. Yes, ultimately test cricket is the true test especially for batsmen who can get away in the shorter formats. 

Take someone like AB Develliers.. This guy is phenomenally popular in India. Not sure how much you would have seen of him. The kind of shots he plays I have not seen anyone play since I started watching cricket from 1981. Immensely gifted and someone for whom numbers will never do justice for his talents though he does the fastest 100,150,200. If not for Ipl or Big Bash most people would have never gotten to experience or maybe even they would not felt the need to innovate 

......googerling (not in the crickey sence :lol: Mr AB Develliers ...

Out of curiously does the IP league have a ladies competition?

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

......googerling (not in the crickey sence :lol: Mr AB Develliers ...

Out of curiously does the IP league have a ladies competition?

There were Indian women playing in the hundred & I think having seen the success of it & the crowds they were saying how long before a womens IPL happens.

Regarding the heated exchanges between England & India in the last test,I read that Anderson felt that Bumrah was bowling short pitched deliveries rather than trying to get him out,this then led to how England were bowling on the final morning where they lost the plot.

The 3rd test starts today so will be interesting to see how tempers are,England will no doubt struggle again though as with Broad,Archer,Wood & Woakes all injured the bowling attack is weakened & the batting will be shuffled again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, High As Hope said:

With Broad,Archer,Wood & Woakes all injured the bowling attack is weakened & the batting will be shuffled again.

Just such a pity that India do not get the chance to beat a full strenght england side.:wub: