Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

Captain Virat Kohli says his India team were "provoked" by England in the second Test - and will "not take a backwards step" when they meet again at Emerald Headingley on Wednesday.

"This team is not going to back down," said Kohli.

"What's said on the field and what's done in the moment gives you extra motivation. "Kohli did not reveal what provoked him or his players, but there were several confrontations during a thrilling match that went into the final hour.

Kohli was also involved in a verbal exchange with Jos Buttler as England were bowled out for 120 on the final day, failing to bat out two sessions to secure a draw.

"The details don't need to be discussed," said Kohli, whose side lead 1-0 in the five-match series.

"It happens in the moment. It's how you get up from that situation, that's what matters."

Go get em Virat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Yes.. Only 3 teams and not city based like the men's league. 

Well they have to start somewhere

Hooefully its well supported 

Smaller centers tend to get behind what ever top cricket they can get

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Botham along with Viv Richards was one of heros growing up. Never really cared much for the Chappel brothers. 

2 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Botham along with Viv Richards was one of heros growing up. Never really cared much for the Chappel brothers. 

:lol:Oh im the opposite 

Could never stand Botham

13 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

image.png.7d875de772147187214c633dff4d0359.png

Unless England collapse dramatically, India is staring at defeat. Well we could have a repeat of that famous test against Australia when Dravid and Lakshman batted the whole day and India ended up winning after following on and losing 3 early wickets;)

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

:lol:Oh im the opposite 

Could never stand Botham

I thought he was charismatic, had a brilliant bowling record as well till his back injury. A genuine match winner with both bat and ball. 

Kallis has in recent years redefined what an all-rounder can do. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

I thought he was charismatic, had a brilliant bowling record as well till his back injury. A genuine match winner with both bat and ball. 

Kallis has in recent years redefined what an all-rounder can do. 

Actually i didnt like Viv Richards either although i was happy to tick him off my list of the superstars of the day i got to see play as he was a brilliant player but firey - The WI had a very controversial tour of NZ where there was a major confrontation with an umpire of questional ability Feed Goodall

....Some times i dont remenber the exact reason i do nor like certain public figurs ....im aasuming Ian botham had no influence on Bruce sacking the ESB :lol:

I dont think i ever got to see play - and i probably took offence to him pulling out of a tour ...or something similar (his voice still grates enough to makes my heckles ...well heckle)

Saw Kapil Dev and Javed Miandad - all at Carrisbrook 

One thing i love about the IPL is our top cricketers become freinds from players from all over

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Actually i didnt like Viv Richards either although i was happy to tick him off my list of the superstars of the day i got to see play as he was a brilliant player but firey - The WI had a very controversial tour of NZ where there was a major confrontation with an umpire of questional ability Feed Goodall

....Some times i dont remenber the exact reason i do nor like certain public figurs ....im aasuming Ian botham had no influence on Bruce sacking the ESB :lol:

I dont think i ever got to see play - and i probably took offence to him pulling out of a tour ...or something similar (his voice still grates enough to makes my heckles ...well heckle)

Saw Kapil Dev and Javed Miandad - all at Carrisbrook 

One thing i love about the IPL is our top cricketers become freinds from players from all over

There was something about the way Viv strode to the crease. The swagger, the chewing gum.. Must have influenced sales of chewing gum as everyone in the 80's wanted to chew gum and bat. 

Incidentally he and Gordon Greenidge made their debut in the very first test match that  Bangalore hosted on 1974-75. Greenidge and Lloyd had a great match while Richards had a miserable time against Chandrashekar, a local hero. Chandra was dropped for next match and Richards got a big hundred.

With you on sometimes not liking someone for no apparent reason. To me it's Celine Dion. 

• Haha 1

Whilst not enjoying the test match just now, I have watched the T20 quarter finals the last two nights and they have both been fantastic matches and very entertaining viewing. I thought Wednesday nights match was exciting and hard to beat but last night was just a good. The last quarter final is tonight and has a lot to live up to.

• Like 1

I am really getting to like this new rule in test matches, where england get their usual two innings but India are only allowed one, I suppose it could be defined as a handicap system, it really is a leveller and keeps the matches more exciting and interesting.

7 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I'm new to this thread.  Are you really a Scottish-Indian Springsteen fan?

No, he's just an anti-English bigot who jumps on any bandwagon going to show his distaste for everything English.

I don't know what caused this, perhaps his mam introduced him to one too many English "uncles" or maybe his pet dog was run over by an English-registered car?

I'm hoping that, now he's started secondary school, a broader education will teach him to understand that we shouldn't treat people based on something as arbitrary as which country they're from. Imagine if Winston O'Bigot was the only Scotch person you'd encountered and you thought they were all like him! Thankfully, that's not the case, he's an aberration.

21 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Whilst not enjoying the test match just now, I have watched the T20 quarter finals the last two nights and they have both been fantastic matches and very entertaining viewing. I thought Wednesday nights match was exciting and hard to beat but last night was just a good. The last quarter final is tonight and has a lot to live up to.

Still not sure how Notts managed to lose that game against Hampshire given the position they were in.

What a strange result in the Test. England staggered through the first two Tests and then they win with a day and a half to spare.

Maybe India thought it would be a bit boring if the series was over now:D

3 hours ago, bdw said:

What a strange result in the Test. England staggered through the first two Tests and then they win with a day and a half to spare.

Maybe India thought it would be a bit boring if the series was over now:D

This Indian team don't give up and put up a fight on most occasions. I expect them to bounce back. However, the results have largely been due to the excellent bowling line up and also not so great opposition. Most teams are in the process of rebuilding and don't really match upto teams of maybe 7 to 8 years back, especially Australia and SA. England seem to have some weird rotation policy and injuries as well. The extremely brittle Indian batting has gotten away due to this. With Kohli nowhere near his best for sometime now its even more exposed. 

Also, Ashwin should figure in the playing 11, a decent bat and a genuine  match winner.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

The extremely brittle Indian batting

Wednesday: 78-10

Thursday / Friday: 215-2

Saturday: 63-8

That's certainly some bizarre batting in this match.

• Like 1

Ashwin's continued exclusion is stupid. The guy besides over 400 wickets has 5 hundreds and should be an automatic selection. That Kohli has a problem with Ashwin does come out at times but you need to put your personal differences aside and pick the 11 best guys. Dhoni at times backed his IPL team mates and even Sourav Ganguly when he was captain used to frequently not include Anil Kumble. Anil has won more test matches for India than anyone in our history but was never a regular. Feel sometimes captains prefer guys they are comfortable with rather than pure merit. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Ashwin's continued exclusion is stupid. The guy besides over 400 wickets has 5 hundreds and should be an automatic selection. That Kohli has a problem with Ashwin does come out at times but you need to put your personal differences aside and pick the 11 best guys. Dhoni at times backed his IPL team mates and even Sourav Ganguly when he was captain used to frequently not include Anil Kumble. Anil has won more test matches for India than anyone in our history but was never a regular. Feel sometimes captains prefer guys they are comfortable with rather than pure merit. 

There's a lot of people here questioning the continued decision not to pick him,how do you not pick someone with over 400 test wickets? There could be an argument that they were doing well without him after the first 2 tests but surely they had to pick him for this after the last one.

An interesting day yesterday to say the least,pressure growing on Kohli & a few of the batters too,I know Pant is an attacking player but you have to combine that with sensibility,as a batsman you can't just come out swinging if your team are in trouble.

Who knows which way this is going to go given the fact that both teams are capable of extremes,England could get a lead or be all out for 120.

19 hours ago, bdw said:

Do both teams know that there's another Test next week? They're batting like they've had enough and want to go home!

It was mentioned on the text commentary that at times it felt more like a 20/20 game though maybe not so surprising given the amount of short format games some have played compared to the red ball game.