Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

Not a great surprise given the financial clout of the IPL but it should have been factored in when scheduling the matches.

I'd normally say "shame on the players" for such a mercenary act but I don't imagine their future prospects in the IPL would have amounted to much if they'd not been able to play in that when expected and it is their big pay-day.

Another sign that the long-form game is dying.

However, India trying to weasel out of forfeiting the match (which would impact ECB insurance/refund position) by claiming that it is a COVID-related cancellation is pathetic.

If the players tested negative then the match could go ahead. If, for financial reasons, they don't want to play then they need to accept the consequences.

Any chance that some newly-discovered positive tests among the lesser squad members will miraculously come to light?

It's a shame it had to end like this. 

Suspect that as reported players are unwilling to take the field is a lie. Someone like Pujara has no IPL contract and most of the other playing 11 have already made enough. Also, think even if they did miss a few matches due to Covid they would still get paid. It appears to be much larger forces at play here. 

19 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Unless there's significant prize money at stake, I can't see that it matters much what the result is recorded as.

Or does it impact world rankings?

The result itself doesn't matter (it'll be forgotten in a few days - other than in Scotland) but, apparently, whether it's a forfeiture or a cancellation impacts repaying money from TV deal, refunds to fans etc and the insurance that covers these.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Latest is that the test will be rescheduled. When, it's not clear so the series is still not officially over. 

Well, unless it happens very soon, it won't be in the next eight months if it's going to be in England - perhaps they could play indoors! Cardiff (not in England but it's England and Wales anyway) has a stadium with a roof but the boundaries will be a bit short.

Sounds like BCCI trying to dodge financial responsibility for their decision.

4 minutes ago, bdw said:

Well, unless it happens very soon, it won't be in the next eight months if it's going to be in England - perhaps they could play indoors! Cardiff (not in England but it's England and Wales anyway) has a stadium with a roof but the boundaries will be a bit short.

Sounds like BCCI trying to dodge financial responsibility for their decision.

I think they are talking about a one off test next summer when India are over for white ball cricket.

India didn't wanted the this test after the Oval test, they had wanted it as the first test, but the ECB would not agree to move it that due to the new Hundred competition.

3 minutes ago, bigbonesbilly said:

India didn't wanted the this test after the Oval test, they had wanted it as the first test, but the ECB would not agree to move it that due to the new Hundred

But India still agreed to the series, whether or not it had their preferred schedule. They could have said "sorry, doesn't work for us" and not come over.

If they bail out on the morning of the match they should face the financial consequences. 

All the reporting suggests that they have a team of fit players but have chosen not to play. I'm fine with them making that choice but they need to accept the consequences and not leave everyone else out of pocket.

• Like 1

There was always this discussion of BCCI wanting 

10 minutes ago, bigbonesbilly said:

I think they are talking about a one off test next summer when India are over for white ball cricket.

India didn't wanted the this test after the Oval test, they had wanted it as the first test, but the ECB would not agree to move it that due to the new Hundred competition.

Yes.. There were discussions earlier to move it up. Pity for the paying public. Don't think it's financial reasons for BCCI to agree for a later date, the board has enough money. When this does go for arbitration and if the players all test negative in the second round as well, the fear that this may end up as  forfeited may have something to do with it. Contrary to what people believe, IPL is good for money but at the end of the day the respect and love from the public comes from playing for your national team, so test championship is taken seriously.

Apparently it's more of a mental issue rather than physical or covid. The Indian team who have been on the road since May were exhausted. One of their physios tested positive earlier and now the other guy who had worked very closely with the team the last few days. From here they have IPL in 10 days, followed shortly by the World T20 championship and then the NZ series. Its one bubble to another. 

Still believe that once the schedule was decided, the 5th test should not have been agreed to rather than canceling at the last minute. 

Having said that it must be really difficult for athletes these days to live in these so called bubbles.

Earlier this year, Ashwin chose to leave the Ipl as his family had tested positive and he could not focus on cricket. 

1 hour ago, balboa08 said:

Apparently it's more of a mental issue rather than physical or covid

Good for them that they felt able to say "sorry I can't bring myself to play" but it's not particularly relevant as to accepting the consequences.

When the British tennis player (Emma Raducanu) stopped playing part-way through her match at Wimbledon because of stress-related breathing issues she didn't say "but let's call it a draw". She forfeited the match.

15 minutes ago, bdw said:

Good for them that they felt able to say "sorry I can't bring myself to play" but it's not particularly relevant as to accepting the consequences.

When the British tennis player (Emma Raducanu) stopped playing part-way through her match at Wimbledon because of stress-related breathing issues she didn't say "but let's call it a draw". She forfeited the match.

I have stated above  that once the schedule was fixed, last minute cancellation is not correct unless good number of players themselves tasted positive and we could not field a playing 11 which does not seem the case as things stand right now. 

Was just making a larger point as to how difficult things are these days. 

Thing not long ago England too contemplated pulling out of a tour. 

Its about time cricket boards pay attention to the number of matches top level players are playing these days. 

Backlash in Indian social media already. Ravi Shastri taking lot of flak for being irresponsible in attending the function which led to the covid situation. The general consensus is that the match should have started and stopped only in case players tested positive. The fact that IPL is mere days away does not make the situation look any better, more so when most of the guys if not all will turn up and play. 

Still believe the players here are the scapegoats

1 hour ago, balboa08 said:

Still believe the players here are the scapegoats

There's definitely a bit of this and also that the players are under huge pressure because the IPL is the showcase event/their main source of income.

It's like the English Premier League stopping players taking part in some international fixtures this week (although that wasn't university implemented).

One Man, Two Guv'nors! (Surprisingly funnier than I expected, if it's still available free online I definitely recommend watching it).

2 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Backlash in Indian social media already. Ravi Shastri taking lot of flak for being irresponsible in attending the function which led to the covid situation

I've seen that he'd gone out of the bubble mentioned which seems a bit unwise given the effort that the rest of the traveling party went to to keep "safe".

In the end, the money will prevail and it will all be sweetness and light. A shame for both sides - apparently India haven't won 3 matches in a series in England before? I find that a bit hard to believe but if true it would have been a better way to end the series going for that. If India win the rearranged match it'll lack any context. Who knows which players will be involved etc?

Anyway, at least it won't overshadow the Second Coming of Ronaldo!

As per usual wherever the blame lies it's the fans who have been shafted,calling off a test match a couple of hours before it's due to start is not on,what major event happened between Thursday night or even early Friday morning that the game was going ahead that it was suddenly called off.It's like Bruce calling off a gig a couple of hours before it starts,we're either there or on our way,accommodation is booked for some,days off work have been taken,yet there hardly seems to be a mention of that the effect calling it off as had on fans.

I think whatever is said or denied the fact that the IPL is soon to start again is bound to be seen as partly responsible,do I play in this game or I go there & get loads of money.

How could India not field a team if none of the players had covid?

Of course the next chapter in the story is how England are going to deal with playing the Ashes,so you can't blame a team for not playing if you end up taking a similar stance yourself.

21 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Unless there's significant prize money at stake, I can't see that it matters much what the result is recorded as.

Or does it impact world rankings?

The series result would go towards the next test championship that NZ & India recently played,I don't know how they work out the points but if the series ended 2-1,3-1 or 2-2 then different points would be awarded & also no doubt affect the world rankings.

I think at the moment nobody knows what the result actually is,to award England the game you would have to say that India didn't want to play the game rather than it being due to covid if none of the players had it & nobody will want to upset the Indian cricket board because of them being a major player in world cricket so who knows what the outcome will be.

saddly the wee tour* by the Indian men's  has been postponed till next year but we still have a ton of cricket coming to our shores this season

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/126400216/india-tour-of-new-zealand-postponed-as-crickets-hefty-miq-allocation-revealed

*3 matches as part of qualifying for the upcoming word cup super league 2023

12 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

saddly the wee tour* by the Indian men's  has been postponed till next year but we still have a ton of cricket coming to our shores this season

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/126400216/india-tour-of-new-zealand-postponed-as-crickets-hefty-miq-allocation-revealed

*3 matches as part of qualifying for the upcoming word cup super league 2023

First game of the ODI series between Eng & NZ Women today,a nice day for it,a little late in the season so the weather could be a factor at some point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

First game of the ODI series between Eng & NZ Women today,a nice day for it,a little late in the season so the weather could be a factor at some point.

dowm home (Dunedin) we always got those late season games  (March) :(

always a risk 

we had my one and only ever test match completly washed out

i had taken the week off work to sit in the stand and look at the covers

i think on day 4 they gave us a token 1 dayer 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:26 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

dowm home (Dunedin) we always got those late season games  (March) :(

always a risk 

we had my one and only ever test match completly washed out

i had taken the week off work to sit in the stand and look at the covers

i think on day 4 they gave us a token 1 dayer 

I read that the game on Thursday was the latest an ODI game has been played in England & they still have the rest of the series to play,trying to fit all these series & competitions into the season is getting more difficult with the amount of games being played.