Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

33 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

NZ.....so we're 2-1 down in the series,what should we do to try & get it back to 2-2....how about resting the 2 bowlers that took 7 wickets between them when we won the last game that seems a good plan.

are you changing your selectors? :lol:

Incredibly, cricket is still being played in England. I think there are 3 days to go in the county championship trophy final which will take it into October.

It's still dark at 7AM and dark again by 7PM - it's supposed to be a summer game and this definitely isn't summer!

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 6:57 AM, bdw said:

Incredibly, cricket is still being played in England. I think there are 3 days to go in the county championship trophy final which will take it into October.

It's still dark at 7AM and dark again by 7PM - it's supposed to be a summer game and this definitely isn't summer!

Yep the game goes into October as surprisingly bad light & rain brought a premature end to yesterdays play though the result is a foregone conclusion with Lancashire still trailing by about 250 runs & only 4 wickets left.

Australia captain Tim Paine says the Ashes will start on December 8th whether Joe is here or not.

A nice sensitive opening broadside from the shy & reserved Australia captain.

I'm sure he would be as equally understanding if the situation was reversed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Australia captain Tim Paine says the Ashes will start on December 8th whether Joe is here or not.

A nice sensitive opening broadside from the shy & reserved Australia captain.

I'm sure he would be as equally understanding if the situation was reversed.

he has clearly not made a lot of the sacrifices of not seeing family for weeks at a time that a lot of players in the world have albeit in some cases for a lot of money not Root mind

On 9/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, bdw said:

most winter sport just wrapped up here but the netball courts down the road from work had the last few games going on when i walked past on the way home from work Saturday 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:09 PM, stevie54uk said:

he has clearly not made a lot of the sacrifices of not seeing family for weeks at a time that a lot of players in the world have albeit in some cases for a lot of money not Root mind

people need to get an F-grip

back in the day when one got paid sweet F-all for representing ones country it required a 3 month journey (each way) on a bloody ship to get to England 

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

people need to get an F-grip

back in the day when one got paid sweet F-all for representing ones country it required a 3 month journey (each way) on a bloody ship to get to England 

Sorry Daisy but that's not the world we live in now. Not seeing my family for months during covid nearly destroyed me. Why should family life be wrecked over a bloody ball. 

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

Sorry Daisy but that's not the world we live in now. Not seeing my family for months during covid nearly destroyed me. Why should family life be wrecked over a bloody ball. 

but your not playing cricket or rugby or what ever for England and being handsomely paid for the privilege 

you can't compair our lives to theirs 

Ben Stokes likely to miss the Ashes after another operation on his finger.

With no Moeen either it means no all rounder in the team so an unbalanced side which also depends on which players decide to go given that the series seems more likely after the latest round of discussions.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:00 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

but your not playing cricket or rugby or what ever for England and being handsomely paid for the privilege 

you can't compair our lives to theirs 

Sorry Daisy money doesn't help your mental health when you are without family for long stretches

5 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

Sorry Daisy money doesn't help your mental health when you are without family for long stretches

your know the All Blacks are not the hard men of the past either 

In the forthcoming T20 world cup to get into the main competition Scotland have to finish in the top 2 of a qualifying group consisting of themselves,Bangladesh & the mighty cricketing forces of Oman & Papua New Guinea,if they finish second they will be in the same group as England.

The other qualifying group consists of Ireland,Namibia,The Netherlands & Sri Lanka.

The matches in these groups will take place 17-22 October with the main competition starting on the 23rd.

It looks like the Ashes will go ahead in Australia but it's going to be very different/meaningless without any away supporters allowed into the country and I expect a few players won't make the journey.

The only thing preventing a 5-0 to Australia is the weather (or crocodiles).

50 minutes ago, bdw said:

It looks like the Ashes will go ahead in Australia but it's going to be very different/meaningless without any away supporters allowed into the country and I expect a few players won't make the journey.

It will be abit weird & if some players don't go(which is fully understandable given the circumstances) then it will be pretty meaningles,the fact all the individual states seem to have different rules doesn't make it any easier either.

My son has tickets for the Gabba & no doubt there will be a few England fans who live out there that will attend games local to them but it will be a very different atmosphere without fans being allowed to make the journey.

13 hours ago, bdw said:

it will be like playing test cricket in most other countries :(