Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

21 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Yes.

Pakistan is playing very well, especially their bowling seems potent

The Pakistan bowling attack does make them look very potent,the only worry with Pakistan in the past is that they can look unbeatable one day then the next look like they've never played cricket before,

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

The Pakistan bowling attack does make them look very potent,the only worry with Pakistan in the past is that they can look unbeatable one day then the next look like they've never played cricket before,

True. That is we were hoping right till the end the other day.

Reading some of the comments from Pakistan, I feel like taking back my comments about one team losing in a sport and accepting defeat gracefully. 

Pakistan Interior minister said that its a victory of Islam and that all Muslims including those in India were rooting for Pakistan. A very mischievous attempt to drive a wedge between Muslims and Non muslims in India.

While these are expected from a politician , to hear Waqar Younis say that the most satisfying part of the victory was to see Rizwan reading namaaz in front of Hindus was shocking.

Now sports has also become about religion

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, High As Hope said:

i know more than one team with a history of looking like that 

7 hours ago, balboa08 said:

True. That is we were hoping right till the end the other day.

Reading some of the comments from Pakistan, I feel like taking back my comments about one team losing in a sport and accepting defeat gracefully. 

Pakistan Interior minister said that its a victory of Islam and that all Muslims including those in India were rooting for Pakistan. A very mischievous attempt to drive a wedge between Muslims and Non muslims in India.

While these are expected from a politician , to hear Waqar Younis say that the most satisfying part of the victory was to see Rizwan reading namaaz in front of Hindus was shocking.

Now sports has also become about religion

very sad to hear

England smash the Aussies to go top of the group,Buttler taking the Aussie bowling attack apart,at least that's one win we have to celebrate ahead of what may well be a winter of discontent,one win from the remaining 2 group games will see England into the semis.

South Africa v Sri Lanka was a good close game that either side might have won,South Africa winning with a couple of balls to spare,needing 15 from the last over,Miller hit a couple into the stands to see them home.

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

NZ did ok aganist the Indians ;)

Just squeezed home.

@balboa08 Any team can lose a T20 game but a team with so much talent hardly putting up a fight in a game they needed to win is going to cause a lot questions to be asked.

There's a lot of debate here about the fact that players from other countries play T20 in the IPL,The Big Bash + some have been playing in The Hundred here yet Indian players aren't getting the experience of other conditions so struggle because they're not used to adapting to different pitches,there was no intent to make use of the powerplay & seemingly no real plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High As Hope said:

@Daisey Jeep Being the expert on them do you know if there are super overs in this world cup? 

Just thinking about the possibility of an England v NZ game in the semis or final if NZ qualify.

surprised-astonished-girl-open-mouth-shock-disbelief-concept-wide-amazed-female-looking-very-shocked-facial-expression-75653214.jpg

On 11/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, High As Hope said:

Just squeezed home.

@balboa08 Any team can lose a T20 game but a team with so much talent hardly putting up a fight in a game they needed to win is going to cause a lot questions to be asked.

There's a lot of debate here about the fact that players from other countries play T20 in the IPL,The Big Bash + some have been playing in The Hundred here yet Indian players aren't getting the experience of other conditions so struggle because they're not used to adapting to different pitches,there was no intent to make use of the powerplay & seemingly no real plan.

Yes, its been disappointing. Not that Pakistan and New Zealand were expected to be easy wins but no one expected the kind of start we had. Even before the tournament started, there were questions on the selection as few of the guys were not in the best of form and guys who had good IPL like Chahal and Siraj were not picked.

Dont think its a matter of conditions anymore. We did well in England which is more challenging. Could be bit of fatigue as Doc has stated and also the pressure these guys go through is terrible. Not sure how many people appreciate the difficulty of being a cricketer in India in this age of faceless trolls. A small percentage may always been there but today there is an outlet for them and no matter how insulated you try to be, it will reach the players. Shami was abused after the Pakistan match which requird Kohli to step in and issue a statement on religion. Then Kohli's 9th month daughter too was pulled in abusive tweets which showed what kind of depraved, sick people are there. Tendulkar has always stated that his batting style chnaged after his injuries and surgeries but i always thought that advent of social media and also 24 hour new channels who just want a story may have contribued to this too.

Hoping that NZ lose badly to Afghanistan ;) but for the nice guys they are supposed to be, they have not been good to us in any World vup march.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:54 AM, balboa08 said:

Yes, its been disappointing. Not that Pakistan and New Zealand were expected to be easy wins but no one expected the kind of start we had. Even before the tournament started, there were questions on the selection as few of the guys were not in the best of form and guys who had good IPL like Chahal and Siraj were not picked.

Dont think its a matter of conditions anymore. We did well in England which is more challenging. Could be bit of fatigue as Doc has stated and also the pressure these guys go through is terrible. Not sure how many people appreciate the difficulty of being a cricketer in India in this age of faceless trolls. A small percentage may always been there but today there is an outlet for them and no matter how insulated you try to be, it will reach the players. Shami was abused after the Pakistan match which requird Kohli to step in and issue a statement on religion. Then Kohli's 9th month daughter too was pulled in abusive tweets which showed what kind of depraved, sick people are there. Tendulkar has always stated that his batting style chnaged after his injuries and surgeries but i always thought that advent of social media and also 24 hour new channels who just want a story may have contribued to this too.

Hoping that NZ lose badly to Afghanistan ;) but for the nice guys they are supposed to be, they have not been good to us in any World vup march.

i would like to see Afganistan do well

that trolling sounds absoltuly  dreadful

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:09 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

i would like to see Afganistan do well

that trolling sounds absoltuly  dreadful

Congrats to NZ. At the end of the day the 2 best teams from the group made it through

• Thanks 1

So,much to the excitement of Daisey NZ get to play England in a world cup again,at least there won't be any boundary counts this time but in the event of a tie there would be a super over,if the super over was a tie there would be subsequent super overs until one side prevailed.

If no result was possible due to weather etc then England would go through to the final as winners of their group.

I think it will be a tough game to call especially with England having a couple of injuries,the fielding from NZ yesterday was pretty exceptional especially the save from Mitchell where he took a diving catch crossing the boundary & managed to throw the ball back into play before landing to save it being six.

11 hours ago, High As Hope said:

So,much to the excitement of Daisey NZ get to play England in a world cup again,at least there won't be any boundary counts this time but in the event of a tie there would be a super over,if the super over was a tie there would be subsequent super overs until one side prevailed.

If no result was possible due to weather etc then England would go through to the final as winners of their group.

I think it will be a tough game to call especially with England having a couple of injuries,the fielding from NZ yesterday was pretty exceptional especially the save from Mitchell where he took a diving catch crossing the boundary & managed to throw the ball back into play before landing to save it being six.

index.jpg

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/new-zealand-make-t20-world-cup-final

that was a big fuck ! you to that super over !

Congrats!! Remarkably consistent performance from New Zealand. Dare i say cheated of the 50 over world cup, won the Test Championship and now in the finals of T20. Why they are hardly ever spoken as one of the favorites before any tournament begins beats me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Congrats!! Remarkably consistent performance from New Zealand. Dare i say cheated of the 50 over world cup, won the Test Championship and now in the finals of T20. Why they are hardly ever spoken as one of the favorites before any tournament begins beats me.

i could not be prouder

truly to be the nice guys of world cricket and wining to boot

these guys really are our best team ever

this is what my country should be about - none of the arrogance of the modern All Blacks

we tradionally perform better as the underdog

• Like 1

Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

i could not be prouder

truly to be the nice guys of world cricket and wining to boot

these guys really are our best team ever

this is what my country should be about - none of the arrogance of the modern All Blacks

we tradionally perform better as the underdog

The feeling seems to be that if England had to lose to anyone then we're quite happy that it's NZ rather than anyone else,you are the nice guys of cricket,you get a lot of respect for the way you play the game.

It was always going to be a game that could go either way,I think in T20 cricket it doesn’t take much to swing a game,anybody can pretty much beat anybody on the right day for them,if Bairstow hadn't of touch the boundary with his leg when attempting the catch it might have been different,the same as if the ball hadn't deflected of Stokes bat in the 50 over final,it's small margins at times.

I was on my way back from my mums for most of the game,caught the last 4 overs on my phone in Sainsbury's car park,I thought with NZ needing 57 from 24 balls that favoured England winning but then there was that mad over from Jordan that went for 23 that changed the game,a great little cameo from Neesham. 

• Like 1