Greasy Lake Community

The Cricket Thread

Mark V

23 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Team batting second does have an advantage in T20s unless the conditions change dramatically.

Great win for Australia as well

It was another good semi final,similar to the first where good late batting won the game,it is an advantage knowing what you've got to chase,I'm not sure how much the dew factor has played a part in this tournament which then gives the team batting second more of an advantage.

11 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Is that sigh because your wicketkeeper is out of the final after punching his bat?

He served himself out over that

Bad form

Leave that kind of shit to the tennis court 

I am so upset by this

What's gong on up there ?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/127015708/the-accused-12-england-cricket-figures-singled-out-in-explosive-azeem-rafiq-racism-testimony

You know i grew up in the 70s and 80s as  a WASP in a WASP town at the bottom of the world, we didn't understand casual racism was a thing we were participating in

But i also grew up in a time when India, Pakistan and the West Indies were the best cricketers in the world 

I don't once recall race coming into cricket in our house 

But its now 2021 - these are generations who know better than we did

Also - most of the non white cricket playing nations are members of the commonwealth 

We are all equal in the commonwealth 

What the fuck are they teaching kids in school? :angry:

What are they teaching kids down the local cricket club ?

This has brought shame onto our game 

On 11/17/2021 at 3:52 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

I am so upset by this

What's gong on up there ?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/127015708/the-accused-12-england-cricket-figures-singled-out-in-explosive-azeem-rafiq-racism-testimony

You know i grew up in the 70s and 80s as  a WASP in a WASP town at the bottom of the world, we didn't understand casual racism was a thing we were participating in

But i also grew up in a time when India, Pakistan and the West Indies were the best cricketers in the world 

I don't once recall race coming into cricket in our house 

But its now 2021 - these are generations who know better than we did

Also - most of the non white cricket playing nations are members of the commonwealth 

We are all equal in the commonwealth 

What the fuck are they teaching kids in school? :angry:

What are they teaching kids down the local cricket club ?

This has brought shame onto our game 

After all the racism that Rafiq has been reporting as happening at Yorkshire it's now come to light that he sent Facebook messages containing anti semetic language in 2011 & also at a later date an instagram meme regarding Africans,he says he believes he's a different person now to who he was then & has apologized,somewhat a matter of those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones,if you're going to open a can of worms then make sure there's none of your own hiding in there.Pretty much everything people do these days will leave a trail which somebody will find if they want to.

Meanwhile Tim Paine has resigned as Australia captain after learning that texts sent to a female colleague were about to be made public.

• Sad 1

we dont have sky so ive been following alaong just by reading the days play at night

but this must have been such a great match

who wants to exsplain to @Jimmy James you can sit through 5 great days and end up witha  draw and its still a great match 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/127134929/remarkable-resistance--how-cricket-world-reacted-to-black-caps-draw

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

we dont have sky so ive been following alaong just by reading the days play at night

but this must have been such a great match

who wants to exsplain to @Jimmy James you can sit through 5 great days and end up witha  draw and its still a great match 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/127134929/remarkable-resistance--how-cricket-world-reacted-to-black-caps-draw

When I checked the score it was 108-2 & I thought it would just end up a draw but that must have been some collapse to have the last pair hanging on like that.

Holy fucking shit !  :o

i just woke up to this :D

3 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

Congratulations to NZ's Ajaz Patel. Ten wickets in an innings & against the masters of playing spin bowling.

I reckon it on the same level as scoring a quadruple century.

Astonishing.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/127189224/black-cap-ajaz-patel-becomes-third-bowler-in-history-of-tests-to-take-all-10-wickets

this is why i always prefer to watch it when we're in the field

i rememebr that match at the Gabba where Richard Hadlee took 9 wickets and caught the 10th

54 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Sadly it doesn't count for much when you then get bowled out for 62.

i just read this

what the fuck !:o:angry:

now feeling better about not having sky sport

this is the NZ i rememebr of the post Richard Hadlee era

maybe its the pitch?

when i said i prefer to see bowling over batting i wasnt talking about the opposesiion

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/127189221/black-caps-make-lowest-total-since-2013-wasting-ajaz-patels-10wicket-haul

i am in no way joking when i just read a story on Afganastain where the Teliban said cricket was a waste of time

@balboa08 your our man on the ground

whats been happening ?

is it a win for cricket ?

would @Jimmy James be enjoying it

i do try to mind my Ps and Qs when it comes to cricket

but what the fuck !!!!!

this is so unfair on Ajaz

he should be the man of the hour from the entire rest of the tour but his team mates let him down so bloody baddly

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i just read this

what the fuck !:o:angry:

now feeling better about not having sky sport

this is the NZ i rememebr of the post Richard Hadlee era

maybe its the pitch?

when i said i prefer to see bowling over batting i wasnt talking about the opposesiion

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/black-caps/127189221/black-caps-make-lowest-total-since-2013-wasting-ajaz-patels-10wicket-haul

i am in no way joking when i just read a story on Afganastain where the Teliban said cricket was a waste of time

@balboa08 your our man on the ground

whats been happening ?

is it a win for cricket ?

would @Jimmy James be enjoying it

Great Bowling by Patel who was incidentally born in Mumbai after his heroics along with Rachin Ravindra in saving the first test. The dismissal of Virat Kohli was well weird to say the least as he had clearly inside edged and how could the third umpire not overturn is beyond me. Vettori was convinced of the inside edge as well.

Cant understand why India did not enforce the follow on. More teams these days do not enforce and apparently its due to what happened in Kolkata years ago when Steve Waugh asked India to bat again and had few quick wickets in the second innings before Dravid and Laxman batted the entire day and finally Harbhajan spun out the Aussies on the last day. Teams are scared of chasing even small total batting last especially if the wicket turns a bit. 

In this pitch there is a fair bit of turn but not something that's impossible to contend as Mayank Aggarwal showed.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:47 PM, High As Hope said:

Well the first day of the Ashes went well then.

My son was there to witness that abysmal batting display,at least he was in with the England supporters,for day 2 he's got a ticket with 7 of his Aussie mates,I'm sure he's looking forward to sitting with them watching Australia bat.

looks like there is a game in it after all